Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half Term travel conditions

Poster: A snowHead
The tunnel is reporting 2 - 3 hours delay tonight because of "earlier cancellations". Approximately 60 minutes at check in, and 90 minutes in the terminal. Sad Miserable for all those families stuck there, seeing their hope of early arrival in ski resorts melting away. (Not to mention the possibility of much new snow melting away too).

Any snowheads in that queue?

Good luck all.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How annoying. A bad start to a busy week.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm in the queue (though on my way to a birthday party in Holland rather than half term madness)

Booked for 10.42 crossing but reckon we will be about an hour late.

Traffic was good (A12 - M25 - M20) but rain most of the way.

At check in they reported 60min delay so we went for a coffee. Letter N but managed to blag it with the Ms + Ls.

Now waiting to get into the departure lanes (20 mins so far) and hoping to be first in the Ns.

Just called forward. Couldn't blag the M line and 4th in the N queue.

Info board says M+N departure 11.39 so just about 1 hour delay.

I don't honestly think I could have got any earlier.

Hope all the snowheads have a good journey and the snow arrives.

My brother in our apartment this week.

Sorry for bizarre spacing - posting by Blackberry web browser. Not ideal
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Damn. Just missed the 11.39 crossing with the Ms. On the 11.46

Looks like minimum delay at present is 60 mins.

My recommendation is to join the queue one letter before you are called and hope for the best.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

My recommendation is to join the queue one letter before you are called and hope for the best.

But if everyone did that there's be even longer delays - and how exceptionally annoying to miss your proper departure because a lot of people tried to jump the Q!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Departed on time at 11.46 and arrived 13.18 so no delays once on the move.

Have a good journey all.

Pam - not everyone's a snowhead though - nothing wrong with a bit of inside track!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DJL, Do you use the same tactic in ski lift queues? I've noticed people trying that trick at Eurotunnel more than once - and I'm sure they're not all Snowheads. If I was eurotunnel management I'd pull queue jumpers out of the queue and make them wait till the very end of their allotted slot. wink Or maybe the one after. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey all I did was get to the front of my allocated letter. If you're a Eurotunnel regular you'll know they top up trains from the front of the next queue. No-one died!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I am a Eurotunnel regular - and sorry, that's what you recommended.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Currently still sitting on the tarmac jet 2 flight to geneva from Leeds . Waiting for de-icing. have been on the plane for 4 hours at least. Told will be another 45 mins.others had 7 hours delay. About 3 inches of snow. How ironic!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have a good journey all, hope it goes well. There will have been one extra space for the tunnel yesterday as we had to cancel our holiday due to a close friend's death and subsequent funeral next week. I do hope everyone out this half term has a good time and the snow holds up.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, at busy times I've seen them direct the queue jumpers into a lane all by themselves, and make them wait for their booked train. However, queue jumping may explain why some of us booked on a particular train who were on time for their boarding did not get on and had to wait.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chrisb, different reason but same result, so that's two extra spaces. Sorry for your loss and I also hope they've all arrived safe and sound and have a fab holiday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

at busy times I've seen them direct the queue jumpers into a lane all by themselves, and make them wait for their booked train.

Twisted Evil

I heard this evening that the van-full headed for our apartment caught the worst of the traffic, having been almost 3 hours late for their tunnel crossing, but they made it, and are very excited. private ski lesson at 10 am tomorrow for the 3 beginners (1 lesson on a dry slope) and 9 am the next three mornings - the only time I could get for them by the time they'd made their minds up about travelling.

chrisb, very sorry to hear that. Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Annie, pam w, thanks
ski holidays
We may have to 'live' the Half term travel conditions to the French alps next year. Sad Is there any advice available from the hardened half term travellers? "Don't do it" is the first one that comes to mind!
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

private ski lesson at 10 am tomorrow for the 3 beginners (1 lesson on a dry slope) and 9 am the next three mornings
Is your apartment at Nevis Range or The Lecht? ie ski resorts with dry slopes. wink
snow conditions
Got back to the UK late last night, and there were huge queues going from Geneva all the way along the Autoroute Blanche, huge queues at the rental car pickup, and then we got on our almost empty return flight. Really feel for those with no other option Sad
snow conditions
My brother has to ski during the mid term break.

After I told him about Austria. He has been out there every year even since.

There was less snow but more visitors in the French resorts when I did a 2.5 week tour in Austria, Italy and France. Never had bad snow for years in AUstria, Switzerland and Italy until I went back to France again this year. That was even before the mid term break started.
snow conditions
mountainaddict, no, they're beginners who've just had one lesson on a dry slope. They had fresh snow but very murky vis this morning - hope they weren't too bothered.

BMF_Skier, the gang driving down to our apartment had the right idea - get over the channel early as possible and drive all night, get up the mountain before the crowds. But that relied on not getting 3 hour delay at the tunnel. That's the trouble with all half term clever plans - they are liable to disruption.

I really wouldn't do half term, actually. Easter will almost always be a better bet. I'd rent a not-too-expensive apartment for two weeks, then drive or fly off-peak, and schedule a few days to do those other nice things there's usually no time for - dog-sledding, snow-shoeing, walking, etc etc. Almost certainly cheaper and far more relaxed than a frantic half term week.
latest report
BMF_Skier, Drive over Friday (take 'em out of school 1 day) no problems 7 days skiing leave 5.30 am Saturday, no problems (Hopefully) Very Happy
Worked for us for the last 6 years.
latest report
I am kinda with Pam on this one. At the moment we go the week they break up for Christmas and the week they break up for Easter. Taking them out of school should be avoided if at all possible because absenteeism is very bad for their reporting, or so my Governor wife says.
snow report
Quote:

Drive over Friday no problems

I was astonished at the traffic coming south when i drove north on a friday once. It seems private schools break up on the Friday - the road was full of damn great UK registered 4 x 4s.
snow conditions
pam w, Yep Laughing but most seemed to be stopping overnight in Beaune.
The French petrol stations must make a fortune out of all those Range Roonies with roofboxes wink

Layne, Authorised abscence is not a problem so we write a nice letter for the 1 day

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 20-02-11 18:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, sorry I was getting my threads mixed up! Someone mentioned taking them out for a week in another thread.
latest report
Just a tip perhaps for frustrated travellers. Train travel to ski resorts in Europe is becoming much more popular and easy to access. Visit www.snowcarbon.co.uk to book your trip from the UK. You can sleep overnight and it's much more relaxing than all the stress you appear to be having and arrive ready for a full day skiing- perfect in my eyes! Saves the cramped car and extortionate baggage fees on planes, as well as all the disruption you get from the weather with planes. Hope that helps as February half term if often the time with better snow! Very Happy
latest report
Why don't you all leave a day earlier and go on the Thursday. We drove to Austria with no traffic hold ups at all as well as empty channel tunnel trains on Thursday night. Sure beats sitting with all the lemmings.
latest report
Quote:

Why don't you all leave a day earlier and go on the Thursday.

Or if you're taking the kids out of school anyway, go the whole hog and go some other time!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shona_marsh, train is just so bloody expensive. And I'd have the hassle of getting all the gear on and off the trains. I did it 3 times years ago and had great fun but the car is much more convenient. I wouldn't mind doing it once with the kids for the fun element mind.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy