Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone seen Eddie the Eagle recently?

Poster: A snowHead
Not really my question, but one posed by huckingfellers on epicski.com:
Quote:

Anyone Remember "Eddie The Eagle" the ski jumper, lol?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remember hearing of this dude who had no idea what he was doing in the world of ski jumping and going to the olympics. Ever hear of him ?

Here are the responses, which give some idea of the memories of our Eddie, 17 years after his moment of 'triumph' at Calgary.

The one and only time I've met

Eddie was at Tamworth Snowdome, years ago. He was busy teaching some kids to ski, which was fun, and told me he was still doing great business opening German supermarkets. But who's the last person to see him on skis ... and did he really hack it into the

legal profession?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think he was supposed to open the Weymouth dry ski slope back in March but I don't know if any snowHeads saw him doing so
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure how up to date it is but it says he is a law student in Leicester

http://www.thebubbleburst.co.uk/bb.php?entry=Eddie%20The%20Eagle%20Edwards
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apparently this is Eddie the Beagle, who actually won something, unlike the Eagle.

Maybe he has better eyesight
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowskisnow & myself saw him teaching at Tamworth last year - wearing a US Ski Team jacket!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd also heard that he'd sold the film rights to his life story - can't remember the source though so this info might be dodgy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Eddie's a sweet guy who did everything he could against all odds in a difficult and dangerous sport. Anyone who thinks he was a clown should go to the top of a 90m hill and look down the inrun - then they'll understand. Yes - he didn't do very well, and other British jumpers have jumped further both before and after Eddie, (please note that guy on EpicSki) but all the European ski professionals I know thought he was wonderful and brave. He was only slagged in Britain. NehNeh
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, I think the only people who were seriously critical were those who felt he'd slipped in the back door and then made loadsamoney out of his jovial chutzpah. He seriously p***ed off the British competitive ski establishment, but I think the general public (including general skiing public) share your affections.

Yes, I agree that he was brave (having looked down one of those jumps) and was clearly blocked in any advancement of his jumping career - which seemed bona fide - but I can't imagine that he'd have any particular problem with the two decades of mirth and ridicule at his expense. [though the joke's admittedly getting thin by now]

Edward Edwards* owes whoever nicknamed him 'Eddie the Eagle' a very large drink - without that tag he'd just be that short-sighted bloke we vaguely remember as a folk hero at the 1988 Olympics. With it, his legend has endured!

*or is he called Edwin?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
About 4 years ago he was studying at De Montfort Uni and raced for their team in the Midlands League of the Kings Race Series. Couldn't make the finals as he was...

... wait for it...

... opening a supermarket!!! V poor form - that was the year that the lovely Chemmy won the womens individual event.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Has he ever opened an opticians?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here is a recent sighting

I met him once, he's a pretty personable bloke, and was hoping to study law as a "sensible career" - that was about 1995, but I don't know if he ever did

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 6-07-05 15:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
He'll be an expert on the Law of Gravity
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know someone who claimed to know him before he became famous, who said he was a damned good racer (not sure which discipline(s)) before he turned to jumping.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman, I had heard that he was a junior champion in the west country. I believe in slalom, but I could be wrong.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A friend of mine skied with him on a holiday a few years ago. Apparently he is a very good skier, beaten by sponsorship and skiing "management". We have the same problem in Ireland, there is a French chap (he has an Irish passport through his Mother - not just the footballers!!!) that works here in the summer season would beat our local "Shwartzacher Joyce" nearly every race but cant get onto the team- Politics dont you know!!!!

Our lady ski racer is the daughter of the coach but I am not insinuating anything.

wink
snow conditions
Roy Hockley, I heard much the same thing from my acquaintance, but I'm not sure whether or not he was really in the know.
ski holidays
EtE was on local radio this morning (Severn Sound) talking about the Olympic bid. Apparently he still holds the world record the jumping over the most cars while on skis.

His best jump at Calgary was 70 metres-ish, but since then, he said, he's managed jumps of way over 110m.
ski holidays
Glad to hear he's still active locally. What chance the Olympics?
snow conditions
A fairly recent pic (2002) of Eddie here. Always smiling that guy Cool
snow conditions
My wife booked him for my 40th (Jan 04) for a "fun" lesson at Tamworth, but he cancelled all his engagements a few months beforehand, apparently to pursue his legal (beagle?) career.
latest report
He was at MK a week or 2 ago on This Morning with Richard Bacon and Denise Van doo da.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy