Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eiger Suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
I have always wanted to see the North face of the Eiger. We are driving out to Verbier early March, so thought is to detour slightly on the way and spend the day skiing somewhere with views of the Eiger.

We would arrive at lunchtime Saturday, hope to book in somewhere for the night (not to expensive) and then ski for the day on Sunday, then travelling onward to Verbier.

Any suggestions for a good place to stay, and perhaps the best entry point for a day skiing.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you want to get close to the Eigernordwand- really close, you need to stay at Wengen (but can't take the car) or Grindelwald.

Grindelwald is probably best for 1 night, we stayed at the B&B hotel Tschuggen - nice, inexpensive, right in the village.

You can get really close to the face:

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^ That's not the north face...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would go with Grindelwald as well.Take the train up to Kleine Scheidegg which is the mid-point ski station.Then get the train higher,get out at Eigerwand station and marvel that anyone can climb that face solo,never mind in winter.You can also ski down glacier from top station at Jungfraujoch which I really fancy.The Eigernordwand has a fascinating history from early climbing days through tunnelling out for the railway up to modern alpine ascents
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you really want a good view of the North face Ski from Kleine Scheidegg down th blue run to Brandegg, this is the closest run to the North Face and give a real feeling of it looming over you at some points, alternatively you can get good views from several of the Restaurants at Kleine Scheidegg
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999,
Quote:

Yes it is, just viewed from an angle - the photographer is looking at the west face front on.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for your suggestions just emailed the Hotel to see if they have a room, I assume you can drive up to Grindelwald ???
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes you can - it's about 20 minutes from Interlaken.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
telford_mike, Thanks, we might stay in Interlaken and then drive up to ski for the day, where do you think the best entry point is?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Yes it is, just viewed from an angle - the photographer is looking at the west face front on.

So it's the West face then,with the north-west ridge on the left,or am I stupid?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yanto, Thats about right

Skilegs posted a nice shot of the Eiger

I guess taken from the Lauberhorn with the North Face in shadow on the left
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thunderer wrote:
telford_mike, Thanks, we might stay in Interlaken and then drive up to ski for the day, where do you think the best entry point is?

If you're starting from Interlaken, you might just as well take the train all the way up to Kleine Scheidegg and ski from there. That way, you don't have to finish your skiing at the same spot but just take the train back to Interlaken.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1 wrote:
clarky999,
Quote:

So it's not the North Face then, it's the west... you can't see any of the north face past the ridge, on the second picture you can just see it on the far left. Still a great photo though!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boom
latest report
I went up to see it on the motorbike a couple of years ago... kept appearing out of the cloud.
snow report
stab wrote:
boom

Asti looks happy...lol

Nice to hear from you again wink
snow report
isn't there a window you can look out of the North Face, along the train route up to the Jungfraujoch? We went up there in summer; sadly on a day which started bright and sunny but ended in lots of clouds. Great trip, though.
snow conditions
thunderer wrote:

Get a hotel close to Interlaken Ost, train to Kleine Scheidegg via Lauterbrunnen / Wengen. Or drive to Lauterbrunnen and get the train up from there.

When you get to Wengen you can either stay on the train up to Scheidegg (another 30 minutes-ish including the pause at Wengen) or walk 100 yards down the main 'street' and get the cable car up toi Mannlichen (5 minute ride up to 2200m). From there you just keep heading for the North Face via Lager, Gummi and Arven lifts, and you'll get to Scheidegg in about 20 minutes with a great view of the hallowed mountain all the way.
latest report
telford_mike, Thanks for the info, does a day lift pass cover the cost of the train fom Interlaken
latest report
thunderer, I believe you can get a full (Jungfrau) Region pass for 1 day think it's 71CHF, it will cover you from Interlaken Ost station but not from Interlaken West station, thus the suggestion to find somewhere near Ost, Alternatively you could try finding somewhere in Wilderswil which is on the line between Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen, to get to Wilderswil from the Motorway is as easy as going into Interlaken, but it's also an easy drive to Lauterbrunen or Grindelwald, I'd suggest either of the latter two as a base rather than Interlaken, otherwise you just need an extra journey at the start and end of the day
ski holidays
There we go Very Happy That face makes me shiver... Awesome dog by the way!
latest report
It's a sight to behold and it's an awesome region to ski. You'll have a cracking day!
ski holidays
Can't be that steep.... you can ski it Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/Ut1kGmOhzWQ
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy