Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Triathlon training Val d Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OH is training for Ironman SA ( 10 April 2011) at the moment,
we will be in Val d Isere from 13 to 21 March, hopefully the skiing will keep his running fitness up,
but he is looking for a place to swim ( at least 25m pool) and a stationary bike/ spin bike.
Anyone know of a gym/ sportcentre that fits the bill? Even a hotel that might allow training for a fee?
We will be staying in La Chatelard area at Hundred Hills chalets.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
According to the Val d'Isere website the new leisure centre provides:
• a 250m² swimming pool
• a 430m² leisure pool
• a 135m² climbing area
• a 575m² multi-activity sports hall
• a 211m² fi tness suite
• a 209m² gym
• 2 x 64m² squash courts
• 225m² wellness zone (sauna, steam bath,
• spa, cold baths, hydro-massage…)
• a lounge area

The centre is located (almost) underneath the bottom 300m of the Olympic Bubble Lift. The centre has its own website http://www.oxygen-valdisere.com
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So the swimming is definitely sorted, thanks Adrian, the centre looks great,
do you know if they have stationary bikes there? Sure looks like they have everything but the website not very specific on that.
A treadmill would also help a bit..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lizski, I have have spoken with people who have really enjoyed the pool and the other stuff but they were not specific about the bikes and treadmills etc.

The road between La Dialle and Val d'Isere has a wide footpath beside it. The road between Val d'Isere and La Fornet is very quiet and has wide grassy verges in places. Above La Fornet the road is traffic free but may be snow covered. All three sections of road are popular with walkers and runners so, excepting bad weather, there should be no need of a treadmill.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If there's enough daylight and time I'd be tempted to hire a bike, with all that lovely climbing on the doorstep.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Will look into that too, but he would probably ski full day and try to do swimming or cycling later in evening.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Liz, I'm 99% sure they have bikes at Oxygène but if you have not found out yet let me know and I'll check tomorrow
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, have not found out yet, they dont say on website, and will appreciate the info.
He is going there anyway to swim, and will then see - otherwise skiing will just have to do...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I take my road bike to Les Arcs at Easter and although the cols are not open there is still plenty of cycling around Bourg St Maurice and up to La Rosiere & Arc 2000. You can probably get 2-3h cycling after the end of the ski day (more if you just ski the morning obviously). Much more fun than using a stationary bike & better training. Probably less cycling around Val d'Isere but the road to Bourg St Maurice & back is a recognised run with some reasonable climbing, albeit rather busy I suspect.

Even in summer it can be difficult to hire a road bike. Most of the sports shops hire mountain bikes but the two big sports shops in Bourg St Maurice (Sport 2000 and Intersport) do hire a few road bikes in summer I think. This being France I fear that attempts to hire a road bike in the ski season might be met with a "bof" however it might be worth enquiring. As there are Sport 2000 & Intersport shops in Val, if you were lucky you might persuade them to take a bike from the Bourg shops up to one of their sister shops in Val for you to pick-up.

If the hire option succeeds don't forget to take lights: it gets dark quickly in the mountains.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not much road riding around Val in the winter. It's pretty flat all the way to the far end of the hydro lake, so you have to go a long way to get any decent climbing in. Also, the road is busy and the (often unlit) tunnels are downright dangererous.

I would say no chance of hiring a road bike except down in Bourg (Sport 2000 / Mondovelo being the most likely option but far from guaranteed).

Should be some decent enough outdoor running possiblities though, as mentioned above.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy