Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'Isere - Parking?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I wonder whether anyone might be able to help.... We are a group of 6 travelling to Val D'Isere next week from the deserts of Abu Dhabi (you have no idea how much we're all looking forward to having 'huuuuurrrrr' breath!!). As we were already a large group and because of flight times coming from the UAE decided to fly into Geneva, have a night there and then hire a transit van type minibus to get us to the resort. We now seem to be struggling to find any parking in Val where there isn't a height limit of 1.9m. Surely we can't be the only people to go skiing in Val in a minibus?! Can anyone advise whether there is a non-height restricted car park in the resort (or even close to it) and if so, where it is? Is there a way around this problem?

Many thanks,

Sandpit Ali. Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sandpit Ali, Welcome out from the Sandpit and to snowHead

No idea about val d'isere but if the worst comes to the worst, drive the van round to Tignes Les Boisses or Les Brevieres and ski back..plenty of open air parking in either of the lower Tignes places..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a Hugh open air free car park between the main town and la daille. You'll be able to park there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, there are even camper vans and such there. last time I parked there it was quite expensive though. Might be cheaper for longer stays.

As you come into Val there is a little roudabout with an underground car park. Go past that and the car park is on the right. It is next to the Furnival so pretty convenient.

snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

There is a huge open air free car park between the main town and la daille. You'll be able to park there.
Er, I think it was closed a couple of years back..... Puzzled I think that you now have to pay just about everywhere in Val D Sad . There is a small free car park next to the cable car station at Le Fornet though. However it does have a height restriction barrier - though I'm not sure how high that is.....

I agree with bertie bassett. Not only could you
Quote:

drive the van round to Tignes Les Boisses or Les Brevieres and ski back..plenty of open air parking in either of the lower Tignes places..
but those car parks are free too Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sandpit Ali,

I parked in Val last week in P1. There were lots of mini busses parked inside so the height limit must be ok. Also outdoor parking available at La Daille with no height restrictions.
Have a look on Val web site for more info.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stewart woodward, the parking at La Daille does have a height restriction, but it's Ok for our minibus (Renault Trafic). Think the barrier is 2m or just over.

I got stopped by an attendant a couple of years ago, who told me I couldn't go in because the van was too high. I said it's fine, the van is 1.9m and your barrier is 2.1m. He said, no, you've got lots of snow on the roof, with that you're too high. I pointed out to him the relative strengths of his steel barrier and the snow on my roof, then carried on!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I haven't been to Val since 2008, but thought we drove past the town and parked outside for free near one of the lifts. Not sure if the lot had a height restriction (as I have seen with some outdoor lots in France).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Guys - thanks so much for the recommendations. We were getting a little worried, but it sounds like we'll be fine and will find somewhere to park our funbus!

6 sleeps and a trip back to the UK en route to go... I'm so looking forward to this trip - it's been a horrible couple of weeks run up to it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sandpit Ali, Welcome to snowHead s!

If there are less than 9 of you, hiring a taxi will be best for you! Our group does that! If it is 9, we hire a minivan! Once in the resort you probably wont need to use it until you leave! No doubt a few sherberts are in order after those "dry" climes!! wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah well, too late - van booked.

Dry? Here?! You wouldn't think that if you'd have seen the state of the ski group on Friday night!! (this is where I need a little face that turns green!!).

Has it been snowing in Val?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So, just to confirm, there are car parks without height limit barriers. We ended up parking the fun bus in the car park at La Dialle, next to the Frunival station. We even managed to get it out okay, despite a flat battery and what seemed like nearly a foot of snow on Friday morning!

What a week - it was 20 years since I last skied when I was at school - turns out that doesn't matter and it's like riding a bike! With the added bonus of fresh snow whilst we were there, far more cheese than I actually needed and a Grand Marnier hot chocolate at the end of each day it was awesome.

And La Folie Douce...... brilliant....

51 weeks until I can exchange the dust bowl for a snowy mountain again.... snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy