Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
looking for info advice tips etc about Ischgl. just got a great deal and will be there 19/3 in hotel Alpina. If anyone knows this hotel,resort slopes etc would be interested on your views. have looked into ski hire here and i believe there are only 2 places - intersport which seems to be close to the hotel or sport zangerl which i can get through online rental companies but zangerl is at the wrong end of the village(i think!!). any other ski hire shops here?
looking forward to your feedback
thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having skied on most of the top resorts in Europe, Ischgl remains my favourite. Hope you enjoy it.
There must be about 20+ ski hire shops in Ischgl. I would wait until you are out there and shop around.

As for tips, on and off the piste, it depends what you're into and what level your skiing/boarding is at.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ischgl's ace, fun skiing (plenty of easy access offpiste too) and fun drinking. Loads of hire shops too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999, glad you said that. Never been but read great things so Ischgl's top of my list for a late booking this Easter. Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I like Ischgl too. Great piste skiing and the off piste doesn't get tracked out as quickly as some more popular places. Apres ski is a lot of fun too (Niki's Stadl in particular...). Most of the skiing is over 2000m and a lot of it is north facing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pauljames, Intersport and Sport Zangerl have two shops each and there are many more shops to rent from. Unfortunately, there appears to be little competitive spirit between them as prices are similar everywhere i.e high. Ischgl is one of, if not the premier resort in Austria, virtually unknown to the British until recent years but becoming more and more popular. Despite increasing popularity you do still get the feeling that you are abroad rather than you might in the mega resorts in France where it sometimes seems that the Alps have moved overnight to the home counties.

The skiing - 230 kms, mainly red runs, mostly above the tree line, best areas are around Palinkopf and Greiztpize with some good tree lined skiing over at Bodenalpe. Ischgl is linked with the duty free Swiss resort of Samnaum, accessed via runs 80 & 81 (at the top pf the piste map). Make sure if you go over that you choose a sunny day as the run in good weather is fantastic. The runs back to the village (1, 1a and 5) are also excellent but you need to do them before the hordes go home for the day as late on it is very busy and snow conditions difficult and varied.

The lift system - Ischgl used to have a poor reputation and I'm old enough to know why, a lot of painfully long T bars but it is hard to imagine anywhere better these days, few lift queues, 6 and 8 person chair lifts with bubbles, sometimes heated, continued investment etc.

The Apres Ski - what Ischgl is most famous for and is the basis for its popularity. While the skiiing is very good I've been to better but the Apres Ski is world leading. You don't find it, it finds you. Trofana Alm, The Kitzloch, Nikki's Stadl are best but you have to like teutonic music and lots of beer and Jagermeister. 19 sleeps and I'll be there again.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One recommendation to avoid: the self service at Alp Bella on the Samnaun side. Had something described as a "capuccino" there a couple of weeks ago which was only marginally better than the one made by Baldrick in Blackadder Goes Forth
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ischgl features in my top five resorts. Good but fairly limited skiing, excellent apres ski. Haven't been there for the past three seasons but I wouldn't imagine things have changed too much.
There are only two pistes back into Ischgl village and both can get icy and worn due to over-use. Be very careful using these because many people fall victim at the end of a tiring day.
Both routes in to Saumnan are enjoyable although there is some flats bits at the end of one route, and a ski bus to take from the other, to get to the lift back. Keep to the limts when buying any duty-free goods because when re-entering Austria there is a customs post staffed by fast-skiing and officious officials!
All of the apres ski locations mentioned by others are very good and I will add the Shatzi Bar to the list for somewhere less Germanic and with dancing girls on the bar!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mr Marmot, just out of interest what are the other resorts in your top 5.
I am thinking about April trip this year to Ischgl or maybe Tignes/Val D'Isere.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pauljames, Zangerl is in a good location between the 2 lifts and very central in the village. They do a decent online discount and I got top class skis from them.

Piste skiing in Ischgl is brilliant. the home runs are both fantastic in good conditions but don't leave them til the end of the day.

blacks 13 & 14 are both a decent test and as others have said the skiing in the Palinkopf area is the best and the least busy.

Best way up the mountin in the morning is via the gondola - not the main SilverettaBahn funitel thing which gets very busy as it's right by the car park.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pretty much wot Corky said.

Was in Ischgl for the first time just after New Year and the timing is probably the reason for the crowds and as a result, my less than fantastic time.

Make sure you get up early to get to the gondalas which take you from Ischgl town to the ski base area, Idalp, on the plateau - say 9am or so. We found horrendous queues on the first morning when we arrived around 9.30 or so. Thereafter we made sure of an early arrival.

Overall, found the mountain and its facilities busy and crowded. The ski lockers at the Idalp area were all taken and keys were obviously kept during the day - the winter equivalent of towels on the sunbeds, I think!

Contrary to much advice, we found that skiing down from the Idalp to the town was actually quite a buzz - if you do it early in the afternoon - 3.30? . And that's a big "if". It would be horrible to do it in the end of day rush which everyone recommends to avoid.

The family-run (well, it appeared that way) restaurant at Bodenalp was a cracker and surprisingly cheap too. A nice change from the self-service supermarkets.

There looked to be great potential for off-piste but it was pretty heavy, crusty and cut up so didn't get to explore.

The much famed apres ski didn't really do it for me either (I sound like a right old misery guts here). Too glitzy and Russian and certainly not cheap but then ya don't usually go skiing to save money).

Felt the Swiss side of the mountain was much more skiable and definitely sunnier.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Big Paua, agree that if you hit the run right down to town at the right time and the right snow it can be a real blast. Did it top to bottom in a foot of powder completely deserted back in December. Piste run of the season Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/8318433/Single-for-the-season-Party-hard-ski-harder-in-Ischgl.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never been there. I am beginning to think that should change.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tom W wrote:
Mr Marmot, just out of interest what are the other resorts in your top 5.
I am thinking about April trip this year to Ischgl or maybe Tignes/Val D'Isere.

Tom, I wouldn't profess to have skied everywhere, and, for example, I have no experience of North America. My ski-ing needs are for a largish (mainly on-piste) skiable area and good apres-ski. The places I have stayed/ skied are:
Meribel/Val Thorens/Courchval 1850/La Tania/ Les Menuires (all Three Valleys)
Val d'Isere/Tignes
La Plagne/Les Arcs
Obergurgl/Hochgurgl/Untergurgl
Kitzbuhel & surrounding resorts
Saalbach/Hinterglem
Ischgl
Sestriere
St Anton/Zurs/Lech
Cervinia
My own top five places to stay and then ski from are (in no particular order):
Meribel
Val d'isere
St Anton
Ischgl
Saalbach
latest report
I've only spent a few days skiing in Ischgl but was very impressed - THINK I prefer the piste skiing to that of St Anton.

Snow conditions were great there a few weeks back, despite the high temps. Quite a lot if the slopes are north facing, hence the decent condition.

In terms of apres, I would definitely go to Niki's Stadl. The apres does seem to start a little bit later than other Austrian resorts - a lot of folk seem to head home, change gear and then come out. Kuhstal was OK but not great, as was Feuer & Eis (sp?)

Don't overlook a wee day at Kappl. Slopes are deserted compared to Ischgl and great top to bottom skiing. We've based ourselves in Kappl the last 2 years.

We've taken a different gondola each time we've visited and the one in the middle of the three was the quietest in our experience. The other two we had pretty long queues on each occassion.

Enjoy
latest report
Ooops, just remembered! The last time we visited Ischgl, three of our group had their skis stolen from outside the Trofana Alm whilst we were enjoying the apres. None of them were padlocked, but one 'pair' were actually one ski each from two guys who had swapped one ski with each other to try and put off potential thieves. Obviously they were left with only 1 ski each, so their 'plan' to confuse the thieves didn't help! My skis were padlocked and were left alone.
snow report
Got to say Iscgl is a town of two halves and IMHO did not deserve the Telegraph write up it got; been there twice now (both times to the Silvretta side) and have properly enjoyed it, Skiing and Apre that is.
latest report
Mr Marmot, Thanks, done St Anton and Saalbach... so maybe, maybe back to France - Val d'Isere for next trip if any last minute deal come up.

I think it is easier to DIY Ischgl as tour operator deals are not existent. Definitely have to go there if not this then latest next winter.
ski holidays
Quote:

THINK I prefer the piste skiing to that of St Anton.

I'd definitely say Ischgl is much better for on piste than Anton.
latest report
And I thought Stanley Unwin was dead! Deep joy!
snow report
pauljames, Small world, I'm also in the Hotel Alpina from the week starting 19/3, just booked it last week!

First season I've did where I'll be having 2 holidays, but I think it's the future.

Can't wait!!

Steven
snow report
If you're driving or renting a car it could be worth looking into hiring you kit at Kappl as prices seem significantly lower
snow report
Always wanted to go to Ischgl. Looks amazing!
snow report
Mr Marmot,
Quote:

And I thought Stanley Unwin was dead! Deep joy!

roobbertbrown, appears to be related to Gerard Hoffnung's Tyrolean Landlord (excerpt below):
"I am amazing diverted by your entreaty for a room. I can offer you a commodious chamber with balcony imminent to the romantic gorge, and I hope that you want to drop in. A vivacious stream washes my doorsteps, so do not concern yourself that I am not too good in bath, I am superb in bed. Sorrowfully I cannot abide your auto... Having freshly taken over the propriety of this notorious house, I am wishful that you remove to me your esteemed costume. Standing among savage scenery, the hotel offers stupendous revelations. There is a French widow in every bedroom, affording delightful prospects".

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 14-02-11 19:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
shoneyman, just looked at your flikr pics, you been in 3v this year? stayed in st martin last week of jan and the conditions were not good...

thanks to all for your thoughts on ischgl, looking forward to it and hopefully snow will be better than it was in 3v.
snow report
Just returned from Ischgl and after being a little apprehensive regarding the snow conditions we had a great week albeit getting a touch icy in parts as we left.
Having been there 3 previous times in the last 5 years I would say it is my favourite resort for a whole number of reasons not least the amount of piste skiing and great lift network in comparison to St Anton at least.
I've done St Anton 9 times in total and whilst I love it Ischgl just seems a better bet although it's very very close.
Done Saalbach and found it OK but not in the same league as the above although still better than Obergurgl (too quiet - suits beginners),Sauze (limited nightlife), Courchevel 1850 (no apres ski and rock star money)and even Val D'isere (people who'd rather go back to the chalets for cakes) where I had epic snow twice on the bounce.
For me Austria and in particular Ischgl and St Anton tick all the boxes and whilst I bow down to the better and more extensive pistes of Val Dis and the 3V France does absolutely nothing for me.
In relation to other posts I would agree that renting your gear in Kappl is a wise move as it's considerably cheaper, I'd also look at staying in Mathon as a cheaper alternative accomodation wise, we just paid 39 Euro per person for a lovely B&B including breakfast.
Price wise elsewhere the dearest pint I could find was in the Shatzi bar at the bottom of the Fimba village run (underneath the Hotel Elizabeth) the norm was around 4 Euro in Niki's and Kuhstall etc and the best value was 3.40 in the Pazze Nova which overlooks the homerun on the Silvrettabahn side of town.
Food is also very reasonably priced, the village is charming and the people exceptionally friendly.
DIY trips are easy with Zurich, Munich and Fridrichshaffen all within 3 hours drive and of course Innsbruck which is much better placed albeit with usually more expensive flights.
latest report
pauljames, ha, spooky stuff, I think we're on parallel paths here, I was also in the 3V's during the last week of Jan (23-30) but staying in Meribel.

You didn't go to Zermatt in Feb '10 by any chance wink

Yeh, the snow was a bit poor in the 3V's but, to be honest, it didn't really bother me. What I did really like was the crystal clear conditions, blue skies, brilliant light, and being able to have lunch and apres-ski drinks outside! The odd icy patch is something I'm willing to put up with, although there was some really horrendous runs (blue run down into Motarret for example).

We did find plenty good snow though (Masse, Mont Vallon, 4th Valley, behind Val Thorens). Still turned out to be the best ski holiday I've had yet Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I've done St Anton 9 times in total and whilst I love it Ischgl just seems a better bet although it's very very close.
Done Saalbach and found it OK but not in the same league as the above although still better than Obergurgl (too quiet - suits beginners)

St Anton is a lot better for offpiste.
Saalbach is a lot better for cruisy on piste.
Ischgl is very good at both.
I love them all, in different ways.

Personbally, I prefer St Anton, but that's 'cos I'm really biased to the offpiste. For the average one/two week a year do everything skier, Ischgl probably offers the best compromise - albeit at a price.
ski holidays
just found out about the toboggan run here and it looks interesting. We have been on the one at Hochgurgl and that was great fun and depending how much you were prepared to let it run i could be quite dangerous!!.. i donth think there is to much skill required to control or steer a toboggan other than brut force of digging your heels in or a beer first Very Happy

Anyway question is what is this run like and how does it compare to Hochgurgl... we will be doing it any way but just interested so i can set the expactation level..nappy or no nappy!!!!

seems like thi is not included in your normal lift pass whereas hochgurgl does include the toboggan run in their lift pass.

thanks
snow conditions
We did the toboggan at Ischgl, it's down a long red run, we'd had a few drinks and were still in ski boots, and someone crashed into me and it hurt, lots...

Never again...
snow conditions
It's lethal because everyone finished skiing goes on the lash and then heads back up the hill later on to do the toboganning. How the F no one gets killed I don't know but it is an absolute scream!
latest report
I like Ischgl a lot. Been two years in a row which is unusual for us.

Be sure to visit the smaller resorts as well, Kappl packs a lot in a small area whilst Galtur is nice (with some very flattering blacks).

Oh and theres a restaurant on the swiss side that does two weisswurst, salad, bagel and a wheatbeer for 5 euros. Bargain! (Think its the one marked as C at alp trida)

Runs to resort... piste 1 and take a hard right near the end is a lot quieter and the snow is better. You finish a short walk from an elevator that takes you back to the centre.
snow conditions
I remember reading an article about Ischgl in the ski and board some years back. It was entitled 'The Most Dangerous ski resort in Europe'. The contents of the article really scared me off - I was a novice at the time Shocked
ski holidays
What is it about the 19th March Puzzled
We are of there then as well
snow conditions
Assassin Creed, they must have been referring to the apres
ski holidays
Loved it in January. A great and extensive ski area and with some good and easy access off piste that didn't get too tracked out. Hotels were very expensive so we stayed B&B a wee bit out the centre. Food & drink were good value and quality.
The apres ski was completely bonkers though - dancing on tables (to euro pop..), extreme drinking (what's a 5 ltr vodka - seemingly not enough !), absolute carnage later on but no trouble. First time we've seen someone being sick from a chairlift !!!
ski holidays
Assassin Creed, yeh it's dangerous for anyone who takes their wife with them Wink

Icshgl is probably my favourite place on earth, just make sure u visit the schatzi bar in hotel elithabeth, it's like coyote ugly on acid!
ski holidays
Garfield, from you r post its not a giveaway which hotel your at...?

paulmags, you should check out the neiderhut in obergurgl starts at about 3pm and finishes around 7pm...dancing on the table and swinging from the beams in full ski gear boots included...only difference is that it is still a few minutes ski back to the village ( or gondola down or even on the owners skiido)...despite that image it is an absolute must if you are in obergurgl and non drinkers would not fail to enjoy it.

so looking forward to this week after the let down of 3 valleys last week in jan.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy