Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Men's Jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
Any jacket recommendations please as the OH is in the market for a new one.

Needs to be shell only, good number of pockets, available in an XXL, decent quality waterproof and breathable. His old jacket has a kind of thin fleece balaclava type hat built into the collar which has been very useful, never seen that on any other jacket. That would be a real bonus feature.

He is replacing an ancient Sierra Designs goretex shell he bought in Canada about 14 years ago Shocked The zip broke last week, T*FT Laughing as I have been trying to persuade him to get a new one for some time.

Anyway what to replace it with?

I was thinking of a Summit Series Free Thinker, any comments?? Anything better than this? He has seen a Mountain Equipment one called Kongur that he quite likes but thinks he can do better.

Budget very generous given the last one has lasted 14 years, he will push the boat out Laughing Thanks a lot.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sarah, my OH's Schoffel jacket, about 4 years old now, sorry can't remember the name, has a balaclava type hood built into the collar. His is more than a shell though.

EDIT to say that Ellis Brigham have some reductions on jackets (bought a very nice Salomon Adrenaline 3:1 last week which could be used as a shell only of course) and if you hurry they have free delivery before midnight tonight Very Happy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 13-02-11 22:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lou, that's helpful thanks, might be worth a look at the Schoffel range then.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sarah, I personally think that the men's jackets are much nicer than the womens this season. We bought the jacket (above) for our eldest who has just grown out of his first adult jacket Shocked Bought the Salomon one for his Birthday as he can use the shell bit here for other activities and he also quite likes the inner jacket which can be worn on its own.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do not underestimate Mountain Equipment - they have been used on practically every major Himalayan expedition in the last 30 years. Best of all it is a British company based in Buxton Derbyshire. The top of the range jacket is the Changabang - this is a Gortex Pro Shell Jacket - very light and well specked with pit zips, detatchable snow skirt and ski pass holder on the sleeve. you will pay considerably more for the equivelant Arcteryx jacket. I have both and the ME jacket is bomb proof and I know I should get many seasons wear - the Arcteryx is already showing more signs of uv degradation and cost me an extra £150. From a personal view in conclusion I think Arcteryx is over priced.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If he's pushing the boat out . . . .

TNF FreeThinker
Haglofs Couloir (waterproof, breathable, softshell)
or anything by Arcteryx eg Sidewinder
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you're just after a shell then go to a decent climbing shop and check out what they've got. may not have the style and fashion poo-poo of ski stuff but the spec is generally way higher. As mentioned above Mountain Equipment is excellent kit, if it's good enough for Scottish mountain rescue teams it's good enough for snowsports. Haglof and Arcteryx also good. You might also want to take a look at Patagonia and RAB. http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm should give you a few ideas, but nothing will beat going to a decent shop where they know their stuff.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use one of the North Face summit series goretex pro shells, but not the Freethinker (jackets aimed at climbing seem to be cheaper than same spec ski jackets, strangely). It's great, awesome fit, very waterproof and breathable. Can't really go wrong with the summit series stuff.

If you're spending the dollar to get top notch stuff again, also look at:

Mountain Equipment (bonus of being British, and usually reasonable priced)
Arcteryx
Norrona
Haglofs
Sweet Protection
Peak Performance
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all very much indeed Very Happy

Lots of votes for Mountain Equipment, when I wrote he thought he could do better I think he meant in looks, I have looked up the Changabang and it looks better and the spec is good and importantly I think I have located one in a local shop in the right size and colour. That could be the one!

Free Thinker doesn't go up to an XXL but is apparently a generous fit.

Also seen a Rab one, a Latok Tour which looks ok, is a lot cheaper but is Event rather than Goretex.

Working my way through looking at the others snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah, I've bought a few Norrona bits this season and I'm well impressed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sarah, with regard to free thinker not going up to XXL, as i said earlier, it's worth going to a shop where you can try stuff on. Don't worry too much about the goretex/event debate, it's been going on for years in climbing circles and generally it comes down to preference, they both perform perfectly well for us mere mortals, there's a few other fabrics on the market too and it can get way too technical unless you've got a degree in materials science. Unless he intends to ski in the pissing rain all day long so hard that he's sweating really heavily then it probably won't be a big problem. That said, most of the time you get what you pay for. It does worry me what the fashion police sell us as good snow kit which should never be seen on a mountain at all, let alone in the middle of winter. Sorry I started to rant. I'll shut up now. Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The arcteryx stuff is very nice, even nicer when they knock 50% off at the end of the season when I got mine 2 years ago!!

http://tinyurl.com/4mwa9pz

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 13-02-11 23:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
scotia, I have now just found the perfect jacket...for myself Laughing Laughing

robapplegate, trying on not easy, zip broke on old jacket end of last week, OH now in China til Wed, we leave for Switzerland on Thursday. I think it is going to be a case of me looking and sourcing( I am emailing him a shortlist) the best of the available options from a place with a good returns policy just in case.

Re. the sweating, he does sweat like nothing I have ever seen before, he wears a single short sleeve base layer and a shell, and sweats. I have seen steam coming off him, so the most breathable fabric possible would be good.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, thanks Greg, it looks very nice. Again seems to only go up to XL or maybe it's just that EB only stock up to XL.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.mammut.ch/en/productOverview/products_apparel_mens_apparel_jacken_westen_ch/Jackets+and+Vests.html Smile
snow conditions
sarah, well if he can't try it on and trusts you to get him something decent with no price restrictions ready to ski by friday then I'd be tempted to suggest the Mountain Equipment Changabang. Have a good time in switzerland Very Happy
ski holidays
scotia wrote:
sarah, I've bought a few Norrona bits this season and I'm well impressed.

Laughing Laughing what did you say the other day in Apres .... " poor student and all that " ..... Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Snowdrop, Laughing I am now Wink

sarah, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
Also seen a Rab one, a Latok Tour which looks ok, is a lot cheaper but is Event rather than Goretex.

I bought a Rab Latok Tour jacket this afternoon, reduced to £150 at Go Outdoors (with their discount card that costs a fiver).
It's lightweight and eVent's meant to be very breathable, so it should be good for skiing at Easter. There's no handy hat built in, but it does have a hood that'll fit over a helmet.
snow report
sarah, I also got a Latok Tour (but I got mine before the reductions at Go Outdoors Confused ) Rab stuff is generally well made and functional, and Event is just as good as Gore-Tex. I've used it mountain walking, and on one off-piste trip so far, and can't really see the point of spending any more - especially since at £150 it a real bargain.
snow conditions
I have an Arc'teryx Sabre SV jacket, new this season, and it so far has been superb, very comfortable, and has had a lot of admiring comments too wink .

Regarding the sizing, I'm a 44" chest and so normally take a 'L', but for this jacket the 'M' was perfect, with room for a thermal shirt, a base layer and fleece underneath. The jacket seems to flex in all the right places and is ultra light so you hardly notice you're wearing it. I don't know what size they go up to, but an XL might be an XXL elsewhere.
snow report
UPDATE he has now managed to fix the zip Evil or Very Mad I will have to ski with him wearing this antique jacket for another 14 years Embarassed

Seriously though, now it is no longer absolutely urgent to sort out this week so he can try some and maybe take advantage of a sale bargain in a few weeks time. Though my eye is still on the Changabang for him and a nice Norrona one for me, not that I need a new one really Toofy Grin Thanks all.
latest report
dont get norrona if he breaks the zip, mines lasted about 60 days... actually how did he fix the zip maybe i can do that too.
snow report
Well call me a cheapskate but I bought a Tog24 Zorin softshell Jacket 2 weeks ago and it is great. Down from 129 to 60 quid. In case anyone is wondering my laptop has a spanish keyboard adn doesn´t have pound sign. €$Ç etc.

http://www.estore.tog24.com/Outdoor_Mens%20Softshell/ZORIN.html
ski holidays
You need to "accidently" do something to make that antique jacket completely unwearable. Battery acid leak? Burning coals while emptying pot belly stove or something? Splatterage while gutting fish? You get the idea.

Haglofs make the best durable stuff in really lightweight shells IMHO (but pricey too) but it's important to remember they design for slim and fast Scandanavians so go for the bigger sizing. I'm 43-44" but have an XL Spitz and love it.

Basically, climbing stuff works for years and ski fashion brands last a couple of seasons. Some of the latter's claims on weather protection are ludicrous and in some cases, downright dangerous, I reckon.
snow conditions
You could just buy him a new one anyway, I'm sure he'd be happy to switch when he sees it!
snow report
geeo, warranty it.
snow conditions
Take a look at.-
Trespass
Tog 24
Dare2be
Quecha.
Campri
George.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mollerski, I agree- 3 posts up I mentioned tog24. got one of these
http://www.estore.tog24.com/Outdoor_Mens%20Softshell/ZORIN.html

Cracking jacket. and 60quid just now
ski holidays
TNF Freethinker jacket on sale in SnR now, £80 off to £320. Bright orange to make a rather fetching combo with my green TNF trews. I'm tempted, seeing as I doubt very much that Arc'teryx will be in the sale.

Apart from looking like a TNF fanboi, any reason I shouldn't get one?
snow report
Dr John, Arc'Teryx has been in the Ellis Brigham end of season sale for the past two years, I know as I got one 2 years ago, and noticed them on sale again at the end of last season Smile
snow report
Dr John, you can get it in red though too at the same price either in S&R or at TNF shops too. I think it is a great jacket. And I actually like the yellowy/orange one better I think. Also spotted one in TNF at Bicester last week in blue at about £280.

glasgowcyclops, Mollerski, thanks for the suggestions, agree it is a bargain.

geeo, I think a zip break after 14 years is ok actually Laughing not sure how he fixed it but it involved pliers.

Big Paua, Yes I think that jacket is about to suffer an 'accident' Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

Apart from looking like a TNF fanboi

Nothing wrong with that wink
snow report
ArcTeryx all the way if you can afford it.
ski holidays
kitenski & sicrates, in that case I'll hold on and see what comes on sale. Failing that, I'll just bust it out for the new range next season.
snow report
Sarah,

I echo sloop and RobinS - just bought a Latok XXl (the read and grey one) and its had its first outing three weeks back in France. I wanted plenty of room to layer up underneath it. It worked really well. Event fabric seems to be better than the other jackets I have (goretex and sympatex). Build quality OK so far - just minor pulling of threads on the velcro at the cuff. I sealed these with a lighter flame and its fine now.

Be aware that the hood is very big, and can flap about a bit - you have to cinch it up.

Wearing it at the moment in Hong Kong, where its cool, but humid with the occasional shower - works a treat. In my goretex I would have been pretty sweaty.

Go Outdoors Coventry had one red , and two black in XXL when I looked last week.

I bought the latok trousers too. These worked fine, but might be a bit light for skiing - I suspect they will get cut up at the bottom.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy