Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Iran

Poster: A snowHead
Why not try to ski Iran? the flight costs 500euro from Paris, and the offpist skiing can be fantastic, Tochal is the resort most near Tehran, and thats makes it very crowdy in weekends but its ok in midweeks, Tochal have the longest gondola in the world, just outside center of Tehran, starts on 1700m level and take U to 3000m, the transport takes 45 min. and from 3000m starts the skiing, and the lifts take U to 4000m, when I was there, february 2001 we ski from 4000m down to 2000m, and take the gondola back up again from the first midstation. And the season in Tochal is from November to mid Juin. their is another resort 125km from Tehran, is Dizin and its the best skiresort in Iran, the base is on 2600m and the lifts take U to 3600m, and there the season end in late may, the best is to stay in Tehran, most cheap, the skiresorthotel is more expensive, and taxi is very cheap, dont think about to hire a car, have you drive in Paris? if U know, multiply with 100000, and U have the trafficdanger in Tehran, its also cheap to eat, U can easy find dinner less than 3euro inkluding persian Cola, dont think about alcohol, its prohibited,, but I think even a British skier will survive that wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Photos and links please wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.tochal.org/en/
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Dizin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
freeheelskier wrote:
dont think about alcohol, its prohibited,, but I think even a British skier will survive that wink

I doubt it wink .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sure I read somewhere that it is illegal to ski off piste in Iran, or at least in some resorts, and in Dizin men and women can't share a gondola ride which makes me wonder if I've been missing out on something in all of the gondola rides I've shared with girls in European resorts
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rambotion, Ok,, alot of people have read how it is The fact is, Its legal to ski offpist, in Tochal and Dizin, the other resort I dont know about, U can share gondola with women, thats a myth that U cant, but U cant share hotelroom with your girlfriend, U must be married with her, in the resorts there is alotof young skier and they are modern and not so extrem in their islam, I was very surprise when I was there, but in Tehran U will need to keep a low profile, show the people respect and they will respect U,,
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
freeheelskier, Do you they check if you're married or can you just say you are? most people don't carry marriage certificates on them. What I actually read with regard to sharing gondolas was that technically it's prohibited but that 90+% of the time the lifties turn a blind eye to it.

World grass skiing champs held in Dizin as well if you fancy a summer skiing break without heading down under
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rambotion,
Quote:

Do you they check if you're married or can you just say you are

U must send the marriage certificates to the Iranian embassy for translation, U can do that in the same time that U ask for visa, and U must show for the hotel if U share room
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds like a shite place to holiday! I just hope that the pistoff makes up for it! No drink, no nookie, illegal to ride a woman in a gondola, must wear a burka (stops from getting sunstroke, which is a good thing). Sounds like it will be the next St Anton.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roy Hockley, U can make your own choice where to go,, but U seems to be a little racist,,
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought you weren't allowed off piste because of land mines?! Or maybe that was somewhere in Russia...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think I'd prefer to ski in Iran than in Meribel; sounds much more interesting! wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I thought you weren't allowed off piste because of land mines?! Or maybe that was somewhere in Russia...

heidiky, It was for more than 10 years ago in Bosnia
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roy Hockley,

Quote:

illegal to ride a woman in a gondola

Name a resort where that is legal

snowHead s should love Iran though, poor pisting services mean large moguls and a with a high proportion of straight cut skis there are unlikely to be many blue run heros to take you lot out
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rambotion, And one week after a big dump, with 100cm snow, they have done nothing,, its a eden for powderskier,, and in the north, a very big lake, more like the sea, and in the south, desert, thats make special conditions for the powdersnow
snow report
There was a gondola in Soll, owned by a famous racing driver! Dont know if it was legal or for that matter even obligatory!

freeheelskier, If I were racist, Iran would seem a good place to go! Gays, jews and women to name only a few minorities no doubt have equal rights in society in Iran!
snow conditions
Quote:

It was for more than 10 years ago in Bosnia

wasn't it Serbia - Kapaonik?
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, spot on
latest report
pam w, I dont know about kopaonik, but when I was skiing in Bjelašnica near Sarajevo we has to take care about the mines,
ski holidays
This French group seemed like they had a great time skiing there, and made this great video -
UNIQUE IRAN - Ski safari Iran from MeltingSpot
http://vimeo.com/8168036
Looks like one of them had a luck escape at as they trigger an avalanche at about 6:30 ..
latest report
Apparently a lot of the locals brew some wicked raisin vodka Laughing
latest report
Roy Hockley, it's still in Soll, sitting in the station. It has curtains so.......
snow report
kamikaze, nice video.
snow report
Shocked video at least makes it look awesome!
snow conditions
heidiky, Alas I never partook! Would that be called the "wire high club"?
latest report
Roy Hockley, if you mean sex in a gondola, it's the pylon high club wink
snow report
Never mind these guys freeheelskier, unless there's a British pub they ain't interested! Looks great and I would love to visit Bobby Sands street
latest report
barry, Says it all doesn't it! I'm a paddy and would have objections to "bobby sands street". Then again we know the misery caused by racketeering in this country!

clarky999, Alas another club I will not be allowed to join.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roy Hockley, maybes in more recent times but not back then. Maybe you're too young to remember and the free state education system was never supportive of our heroes, but back then things were very different - it certainly wasn't a racket. what might appeal to your Irish sense of humour might however be that Iran renamed the street on which the British embassy was located Bobby Sands street!!! Think the embassy moved the entrance from front door to back to avoid having this address!!!

Skiing looked decent too Laughing
latest report
barry, You are lucky if indeed you are living north of the border, education has never been free (state or otherwise wink ) in the south! Old enough to remember all that went on! Let us hope that the demonstrations that are being held in Tehran as we speak will be allowed to go on unhindered and that the disputed result of the last election held there will help the suffering in Iran today!
latest report
The reason that Iran have skiresorts is that the dictator Reza Pahlavi was a skier, and a good one, he visit Davos and Gstaad many weeks every year. even if he was a dictator, he made alot of good things for Persia, If hes regim had countinu, Im sure that Iran should be one of the biggest country for europen skier to visit outside europe, there is a conditions to built great resorts that I dont have seen in no other place,, I can hope that the ayatollas not read SnowHeads, if they do, I will have problem with the visa next time wink
latest report
Interesting post, but can't see ski Iran being a popular option for Europeans, lots of people seem to take long weekend ski breaks & dont think Iran is a weekend option.
snow conditions
freeheelskier wrote:
rambotion,
Quote:

Do you they check if you're married or can you just say you are

U must send the marriage certificates to the Iranian embassy for translation, U can do that in the same time that U ask for visa, and U must show for the hotel if U share room

Would a civil partnership certificate do for gay couples?
latest report
Quote:

Interesting post, but can't see ski Iran being a popular option for Europeans, lots of people seem to take long weekend ski breaks & dont think Iran is a weekend option.

2waterford, Yes, you have a point here, the flight take long time, 17hour from Paris, so you need 2 weeks, but its interresting, when I was there, I had 3 weeks, and for same costs that 1 week in the alpes, Ok its cost to be out of work 3 weeks , I know,
snow conditions
Shocked Shocked 17 Hour flight from Paris ??
snow conditions
Quote:

17 Hour flight from Paris ??

Yes the cheaper flight, They make a stop in Jerevan,, if U want directflight its more expencive
snow report
Quote:

Would a civil partnership certificate do for gay couples?

Nice one laundryman, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Spent December in Iran and flight from Heathrow takes 8 hours and cost 375 quid with Lufthansa, connecting in Frankfurt. Typically was the latest start to a season they've had for 20 years so we skied a fantastic total of 1 day out of 30, and that was at Tochal and... don't bother other than for the gondola experience! Two chairs up a 20 degree slope ain't gonna keep you entertained for longer than, er, two runs. Visa is a sh1tter - took 2 days of visiting consulate in Kensington to sort but I think if you only want a fortnight you can get one on arrival at IKA. I'd double check this though!

So... we stashed our gear at the Firouzeh Hotel in Tehran thanks to the most helpful hotel manager in the World, Mousavi, and as the snow didn't cooperate we spent our time on an island in the Gulf and visiting beautiful cities like Esfahan and Yazd, and chilling in the desert.

Iranians are genuinely some of the most friendly, generous and accomodating people I have ever met and I wouldn't hesitate to go back. Booze (and other things) are easy to get once you get a feel for the place too, just don't be a tourist about it. Tha Po-lice can be awkward - got stopped a few times in Tehran, but carry ID and raise a smile and unless you're taking photos of an embassy or wearing a Woody Allen t-shirt you should be fine!
snow conditions
oz5000, December is usally a little early, the best snow is normaly february and march, Tochal had very good offpists, the slopes there makes you boring, the best skiing, is in the resort Dizin, and I agree with you about the Iranian people, very nice and helpfull, was it this december you had that price to go to Tehran? It was cheap, I can promise you, that Jerevan airport is not a nice place to wait many hours
snow conditions
Yeah, was a bit of a gamble, but Dizin opened around 10th December last season so we thought we'd take the chance! Apparently there are 50 peaks above 4000m in that area just north of Tehran but there wasn't really enough snow to hit the backcountry at Tochal either unfortunately, but we could see the potential is huge.

The six weeks we've just had in Gulmarg skiing Afarwat's 4000m beast made up for it though Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy