Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Late

Poster: A snowHead
Im thinking of a weekend away on the 16th April.......what are peoples thoughts regarding if this is too late or not to get any decent snow coverage?

Am thinking French Alps
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best place to ski late is from the KK to St Anton Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No Ghost Dog, I mean is it too late in the season!!??..... rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The way this season is going I'd wait and see where there's snow and then book last minute. I'm planning to go out on 9th April but I won't book until late March.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
speedy, for the last 3 years I've been to Avoriaz in mid-April. Not as high as some resorts, but each time we've had lovely Spring conditions, plus a couple of dumps of fresh snow.

Can get a bit slushy in the afternoons - but that all part of the fun isn't it? Very Happy

Personally, it's my favourite time of year to ski.

As Ghost Dog says, it might be worth leaving it a little closer to the time before booking. But if you really need to book early, aim for resorts with some high altitude skiing to increase your odds of getting decent conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tignes is where I'd go, mid April. Should be great.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
speedy wrote:
Im thinking of a weekend away on the 16th April.......what are peoples thoughts regarding if this is too late or not to get any decent snow coverage?

Am thinking French Alps

This aftenoon might be to late for decent coverage............
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we had a great week at Lake Louise a couple of years ago in April... tonnes of snow and empty slopes with no lift queues
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lightningdan, Tignes, Val D'Isere or Val Thorens. Tignes lifts close first week in May.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mid april should be fien in Austria too, last year we had a good dump of fresh snow in Kitz. This season's been weird for snow though, so defo book late.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ummm, your title was skiing "late"

why is april 16 "late"?

Grands Montets closes around May 10. That's "late"
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is Chamrousse 13th of April.

http://youtube.com/v/C2R8mhC44zo

We are talking a small, low lying resort that is almost exclusively south facing. Even in poor snow years they generally have good conditions mid-April. Anywhere high like the suggestions above will be fine.

Euro ski resorts don't shut due to lack of snow but due to lack of skiers. A couple of years ago I did the last day at l'Alpe d'Huez and they've sold a hundred lift passes at midday.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GeorgeVII wrote:
lightningdan, Tignes, Val D'Isere or Val Thorens. Tignes lifts close first week in May.

You are quite right , I was being slightly sarcastic , unfair on the poster, but the endless moaning on other threads about how bad this season is, and how even if it snows it will not form a base etc.

I would go for any of your ( good) recommendations , and have seen some great deals with 100 hills in Tignes or V'D.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lightningdan wrote:
GeorgeVII wrote:

You are quite right , I was being slightly sarcastic , unfair on the poster, but the endless moaning on other threads about how bad this season is, and how even if it snows it will not form a base etc.

I would go for any of your ( good) recommendations , and have seen some great deals with 100 hills in Tignes or V'D.

This season IS bad. Whilst there's still good skiing to be had, compared to previous seasons conditions are in general average at best.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

This season IS bad
There must be a lot of people who would disagree. IMO 'bad' = no snow. The fact is that the majority of places in the Alps still have some good skiing, while Scotland, the US and Canada are having good seasons. People seem to have become un-necessarily hysterical Skullie

The other thing is that some folk have already written the season off......'That's it, it's over!' However, Tignes, for example, is (today) only 12 weeks into its 23 week season! Still loads of time for a lot more snow and some waist deep powder Very Happy.
ski holidays
I know you said you were interested in the French Alps, but if you (or others reading this thread) wanted some Austrian options to consider for mid April, as well as the very good French suggestions, I would add Obertauern and Ischgl both of which normally close at the start of May.
snow conditions
Quote:

This season IS bad

Depends. for folk who ski on piste, if they made a wise choice of resort (ie somewhere with a good choice of different aspects) it's been exceptionally pleasant these last weeks. Fantastic weather, perfectly OK snow. The problem will come during the next few weeks if there's only a bit of snow - the much bigger crowds will tend to degrade the slopes and those places with good skiing will be inundated by people staying in places without.

Conditions at Christmas were rather better than they have been during a few recent seasons (northern French Alps) and the season is still some way from half way through.

So, it's not been an epic season, but I've rarely had such pleasant conditions in January! It's going to be a shock to the system to ski in a freezing cold windy blizzard again!

I can see that for off piste skiers it's not so great - though reports here suggest that those prepared to put in a bit of effort have had some good days!

And in any case, all this is completely irrelevant from the point of view of someone looking for a late season holiday. Might be loads of snow, might be loads of grass. As ever.
ski holidays
april 16 is late in the season but April showers in the UK are snow falls in the alps. I constantly hear people saying, "Iv'e just come back from xxxxxx and that's it the season is over". What utter tosh alot of resorts are predicted another 20-30 cms next week. It WILL snow several times between now and the end of the season. High resorts have deeper snow levels most seasons in April than in January. I ski every April and have never had a problem in over 10 years. Most resorts are 95-100% open as we speak. i think most of the negatiity has come from off-piste starved seasonnaires. I have a mate doing a season who a couple of weeks back said "there is no point anyone coming to Courch, there is no snow and it's rock hard and dangerous". i checked the conditions, web cams and client comments and it was fine! The problem was he was doing his BASI 3 and just pissed off thatthe offpiste was cack and he couldnt get out of that mind set - they get spoilt theses seasonaires! wink
ski holidays
Davidof, snow looked excellent and your little un looked great! I'm off to Val tonight so see you all later!
snow report
Due to a conspiracy of school holidays,work and not wanting to deep freeze the kids,we always have a late holiday....usually around Easter. This year will see us at Les deux Alpes between the 9th and 24th of April Very Happy What started accidentally,due to the kids,has turned into a preference.Yes,in theory,you take a chance on conditions....but frankly,unless you book very last minute,you take a chance anyway.Any destination could suffer a lack of snow,warm spell whatever?Like most,I have to make my decision early,often before any snow has fallen anyway.This season has been all over the place.Went to Austria(Soll)in January(cheeky short break with OH)Seems they had mega amounts of snow pre Xmas.We get there to warm temps,hardpack and no off piste worth talking about.....in January rolling eyes
Been in deux Alpes many times in April,and never had a bad week(or two Toofy Grin)In fact,a couple of years ago,it puked it down as soon as we arrived....best conditions all season!!Yes,it can get soft and slushy in the afternoon...part of the fun.The bonus,for me,is that often the weather is great.Blue skies,warm and very pleasant.
Usual advice still stands,aim high....deux Alpes,Tignes,Val Thorens etc.If a last min weekender,you should have no problem finding somewhere.Have fun Very Happy
ski holidays
Having happily advised the OP to wait and book last minute, booked to return to the Hoff (at the Zillertalerhof) for April 9. It's clearly going to snow from now on (until 8 April) Smile

How can one say the season is Bad and in the same breath conditions are at best average?
snow conditions
Quote:

How can one say the season is Bad and in the same breath conditions are at best average?

Because it's the truth Confused

Been a crap year snowfall wise, with lots of high temperature days. You can still get average skiing in some places, some times (and probably even great skiing sometimes, although rarely). Doesn't change the fact that in general it's been a shite snow season.

Edit: A normal snow season has a few crap days, loads of good ones, and a decent amount of awesome days. Even on the big pow days the base has been crap, so tree skiing's pretty much been of the menu. Shame, 'cos November was such a good start to the season, then spring came in January.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy