Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calais Eurotunnel terminal has new layout

Poster: A snowHead
Just got this e-mail from Eurotunnel
Quote:
Dear Boredsurfing,

Important travel information - NEW French Terminal Layout

To further improve your travel experience, a new layout of our French terminal is now in place.

After proceeding through Check-In, you will now clear border controls prior to accessing our French Terminal Building. This will enable you to relax in the comfort of our Passenger Terminal Building until your booked departure is called. Simply follow the revised signage and directions given by our Terminal staff.

If you require any further information, please call our Contact Centre on 08443 35 35 35. Opening times are:

08:00 - 19:00 Monday to Friday
08:00 - 17:30 Saturday and Bank Holidays
09:00 - 17:30 Sunday

For the latest real-time travel information for both the UK & French Terminals, please call our 24 hour Customer Information Line +44 (0)8444 63 00 00.

We wish you a pleasant journey with Eurotunnel

Yours sincerely,
Marketing and Sales Director
Commercial Division - Passenger.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 9-02-11 16:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

relax in the comfort of our Passenger Terminal Building

Shocked Wow they must have built a new terminal as well!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sounds a good idea - was a pain at times, before - they should do that in the UK too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great idea.
It should save the bun fight at the end of bank holidays.
Funny how it always seemed to be the big 4 wheel drive cars that used to push in !
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hosepiper,
Quote:

Funny how it always seemed to be the big 4 wheel drive cars that used to push in !

Not me, it was the Audi drivers Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Never been very impressed with the French side. We use it simply for loo stop and sometimes coffee. Absolutely hell on earth late on a bank holiday, particularly in the summer. Litter, litter and more litter, people just chuck it where they have eaten. Cruel reminder that Blightly beckons.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lou, Agree, absolutely detest the French terminal, stinky toilets and awful food plus the thought of doing battle with the M25 once the other side. This may make it slightly more bearable.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Used it Sunday, you now queue longer, but only once rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I guess it was done to try and encourage more people to actually stop in the terminal rather than getting straight into the mad queue for customs.

No doubt they will be very strictly enforcing the letters allowed on, to make sure you do stay and spend some money there
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris, the last couple of times we have come back, they have missed our queue entirely and we have missed our scheduled crossing. Still wouldn't encourage me to spend any more than a penny in that place Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The delay does seem to be UK customs. We have missed our train several times due to this despite going when called. Hopefully this may resolve that, but likewise won't be spending any money there!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always thought the hideous consumer experience in the French terminal served a purpose in making England not seem quite so bad after all Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last year we foolishly (as we were hungry and in a hurry) bought "food" at Quick. To shamelessly steal Bill Bryson's line - the full name of that place is "Quick - a bucket I'm going to be sick'
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The stuff from the boulangerie is OK if expensive.

Lou, they missed our lane last year sometime. Just two vehicles in it. I blamed hubby for going to the over 1.85m lane, when we didn't have the roofbox on, but perhaps it wasn't his fault after all.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hells Bells, we've been 'missed' three times (once at UK side) in total, all when in over 1.85m lane Confused

sanman, actually IMO it's the customers who make most of the mess in the first place. More pondlife in the summer without a doubt Toofy Grin
snow report
Lou, it was really quiet too, so we couldn't understand why we were still sitting there. Eventually more cars, vans etc joined us and we went on the next train.
snow conditions
Last August, again in the over height lane, we left in a train with 3 cars on the overheight cars. Despite the fact there were hundreds waiting. I guess they were more concerned on getting the trains away on time than clearing the queue.

It SHOULD get better, as the delay is at UK customs, once through this there should be no issues with getting trains queued and loaded. We will just all have to remember that to get your booked time you will need to be at check-in probably 1hr before
ski holidays
Hells Bells, and staff rapidly disappear off in their little white cars just as people realise what's happened.

Still prefer to ferry though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
BUMP

Just came through the new layout on way home today and what a complete and utter farce!

Get through check-in and immediately hit back of huge queue to get through customs, with only a couple of grotty portaloos to cope with the hundreds of people there. Needless to say, we along with everyone else we saw, then drove straight past the shops etc onto the train.

They seriously need to sort something out there - I guess the revised layout is intended to give you more time shop but at least with the old layout you could nip to the loo after arrival. Now even that's not possible!

Seems to be a big KFC opened just down the road before Eurotunnel - I can see that doing a lot of business!

I was so pished off with their performance today I am tempted to give the ferries another go. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Boris, Might be worth complaining to Eurotunnel as they have just signed a new service level agreement with UK Borders for the Calais 'process' of vehicles.
snow report
We used the new layout in March. We didn't need to use the loos, as we'd already been wink (at the Majestic Wine place), but if we had needed a pee, we were directed away from the terminal to the boarding area, despite being well within the recommended check in time.
The lass at the UK border agency was the most miserable COW we have ever encountered.
ski holidays
Boris, I came through at 17.00 and got behind a car at check in who thought he was at the ferry terminal!!!!!!! and then got into the queue for UK customs, why do they make it so hard for UK residents to enter their own country? Single market and open borders!
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, normally I can take the odd hold-up, but after today's performance I am going to complain. We checked in at 11 and only just got the 12.20 crossing!

I mean I paid errrr bog-all for this crossing with vouchers you know!
snow report
Sailed through at 1630 today, seems like a big improvement.
latest report
Boris, indeed, missed our departure due to having to nip to the loos after arriving in plenty of time, then queuing for UK customs after flying through the French customs!!
ski holidays
Boris, indeed, missed our departure due to having to nip to the loos after arriving in plenty of time, then queuing for UK customs after flying through the French customs!!
latest report
We arrived early for a 2120 departure and got on at 2042, which left exactly on time - very quickly through everything, just time for a coffee and a pain au raisin. Probably better being later in the day - though there were still some warnings at check-in about customs delays, presumably left over from earlier.
snow report
Came through on Sat evening and it was a joke. Queued for French customs, queued for UK border control, queued for train...finally got on a train 1 hour 30 after arriving (did manage a fly into the terminal building which was like a ghost town, girl on the counter said it had been like that since they moved the border control - can't see that lasting long as business must be hurting.)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One of the best things about the tunnel last year was the speed of boarding, this new customs seems to have negated this......
latest report
I encountered 90 minute delays coming back at the end of the February half term, all due to the passport control bit. Made worse by the fact that I had paid for the Flexiplus Upgrade and had to queue with everyone else wink
I complained and Eurotunnel gave me a £100 voucher.
ski holidays
We were an hour exactly after pam w last night. Straight through on train previous to one we had booked. No delays - although was the first time ever that our car was checked on the French side (by a very thorough German Shepherd Very Happy )
snow conditions
snowlamb wrote:
Came through on Sat evening and it was a joke. Queued for French customs, queued for UK border control, queued for train...finally got on a train 1 hour 30 after arriving (did manage a fly into the terminal building which was like a ghost town, girl on the counter said it had been like that since they moved the border control - can't see that lasting long as business must be hurting.)

Agree wth this. We turned up early - machine offered us a choice of two crossings, the first being 25 mins from when we arrived, the latter being 40 mins after, which we selected. Needless to say we missed both due to the farcical queues for UK passports (who were very cheery and gave the impression that there was all the time in the world...) We did a quick deviation to the terminal to pick up some cigarettes for the outlaws. Whilst the queues were solid through the whole system there were 5 cars in the terminal car park. I was amazed, possibly the worst thought out business move they could have made. rolling eyes

The other thing that amazes me is that whilst the place is stacked out there were still 4 unused passport booths. It's Easter holiday time, when do they think it might be worth employing enough staff to open all the booths? When the queue reaches Lille?Shocked

Aside from that it doesn't seem to matter if you miss the booked crossing you just get put on the next - which begs the question what's the point in having allocated crossings anyway? NehNeh

Rant mode off......
snow report
Came through yesterday afternoon and pretty much it was as MazDave, says above.

The terminall was unbelievably quiet even for Easter Sunday, Very big own goal methinks. The border controls were being done properly by the French with every car getting swabbed which added to the queues as only two lanes were open. We were glad we decided to come home on Sunday, goodness knows how long those queues will be today Sad

ps. The German shepherd was in the luggage lockers of a coach, when he barked a bag was got out very quickly ....but then we had to drive through Confused
ski holidays
when Eurotunnel/TML constructed the terminal for opening in 1994, they decided themselves to have a huge row of Contol Booths across the whole councourse. Out of these only, 2 have ever been used by UK Borders. The rest of the booths that you can see are used as offices by various border staff and Eurotunnel, so the UK and French passport booths are NOT UNUSED, they have never ever opened in the 17 years of existence. Yes it does seem bizarre for someone who does not know about the history, but 2 booths is for peak periods (both sides used) and one booth for off-peak periods, the other 4 booths are not control booths. If you think there are not enough staff already at 2 passport booths that are used, bear in mind that David Cameron wishes to reduce the Civil Service by a further 25%, so staff there will have to be reduced.

Yes it may seem a pain when travelling through Eurotunnel's site, there is French Customs, French Immigration, British Immigration and British Customs, plus any checks Eurotunnel wish to make. This is because this is a Schengen border point AND the tunnel is a target for terrorists and also it is a very long tunnel and vehicles need to be risk assessed before entry into it.
ski holidays
PS I am guessing the reason for the change of layout is so that people can go to the Passenger Terminal building with all checks and queues already cleared (apart from the queue for the trains), there they can see at what time their train leaves and just drive a go. Previously, many people left it too late and missed their trains because of the checks afterwards. Under both systems, there are checks and queues, now it means all the checks and queues are immediate after check-in. You'd have to ask Eurotunnel if the change has benefitted their business in increased revenues at the Passenger Terminal Building or from the aspect of more passengers making their booked trains.

And finally, if there are queues at passport booths, it is an indication that Eurotunnel are at capacity. Even if you took those security checks away, it would still leave you queuing for a train, the security checks rarely impede embarkation times, they are more likley to be carried out during the time you would be waiting for your train, if you understand.
snow report
Other than the usual 'where do we go' confusion, no issues. We specifically arranged our travel times to be at what we thought would be non peak.
We arrived at the French terminal on Sunday 24th April at about 02:30 hrs and were offered a 03:05 train, which we selected. We were on the train approx 25 mins from arriving!
At the new control booths there were only a few vehicles ahead, all were swabbed, French PP control waved us through. Longest part of the process was the UK controls. Everyone was identified inc kids and were were asked where we had been. Seemed to be 1 UK PP booth open. Total process, inc other vehicles ahead, took 10 mins.

We then sat in the empty car park for approx 6 mins waiting for the first call. There only appeared to be a 5 min window between first and last call. 1 further Eurotunnel control gate where we were allocated a lane and a final 5 min wait before boarding commenced.

Boarded a train at about 02:55 ish.

Unless they increase the number of security and PP control booths, I suspect that at peak times all they will have done is now shift the queues back after the check in booths or onto the entrance road.

Why can't they have the check in booths after the controls? Puzzled
ski holidays
BMF skier, very good point, it would seem beneficial from a customer point of view. Howeve, I am guessing the answer that the system is the way it is because of the decision to construct the terminal how it is now was made before opening in 1994 and the buildings have not moved since because of cost perhaps. You could probably construct new check-in booths behind the current control booths, but there are alot of authorities involved in any decisions to move around anything there. There is the French National Police, Nation Gendarmerie, French Customs, UK Border Agency (Customs and Immigration), UK Police, Eurotunnel, local commune etc. The initial decision to have check-in may have been down to security in the site, knowing the identification immediately of every vehicle on the site, I really am just guessing. I'm sure if you wrote to Eurotunnel, they would give a better explanation.
snow report
Apparently there was chaos and huge queues today with trains 45 mins late departing and queues backed up onto the motorway Skullie
snow conditions
And we are back... Saw this thread and had to respond. When we arrived @ the terminal @ 17.20 today we saw the '35 minutes until you check in' sign and queues of cars perhaps ten or eleven deep but well within the Eurotunnel area and not back to the motorway. After check in there was a relatively quick queue for passport control (both sorts) spread across about six booths for each border and then onwards.

We were flexi-plus and were on the 18.06 departure, despite a quick comfort break, so less than an hour from arrival to departure but most of that was taking with queuing up.
snow report
For years the French side has puzzled me. You go through check in to be diverted through the car park for the terminal! Nothing has changed, except the drive is longer now. Every time we do this I say "why didn't we just pop into the Flunch at Cité de Europe rather than chance the crap in the Terminal or end up at Leeds Services on the M20!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy