Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow and Rock or Ellis Brigham

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I have a pair of skis that I need to get waxed/serviced. Any advice on where to get this done in London, the only places I can think of are SnR and EB. Does any body have any experience with which would be best? or anywhere else that does it?

Cheers Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
unless they are really trashed, why not do it yourself? you could get a travel iron, a diamond stone and some wax for not much more than a service at one of those places and you will have peace of mind that they haven't just put the skis through a grinding machine and taken half the base and edges off
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not in London but EB every time!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys. Another thoght is would you get them done in the UK before a trip or wait and get them done in resort upon arrival?

Quote:

unless they are really trashed, why not do it yourself? you could get a travel iron, a diamond stone and some wax for not much more than a service at one of those places and you will have peace of mind that they haven't just put the skis through a grinding machine and taken half the base and edges off

Tis true. Tho to be honest I don't feel overly confident for that just yet. I am looking do do a course over the summer to get my self on the right track to do my own but don't have the time or money for that at the minute...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crazy Climber, youtube has some very helpful instructional videos. watch some and see how easy it is.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Depending where in S London you are - Finches in Forest Hill do ski servicing. I normally get mine done overnight in resort. As an example of cost, in Courchevel for just a wax it cost 5 Euros. Obviously more if you need edges sharpened etc
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to let you know, I edged and waxed 3 pairs of skis last night (for the 1st time myself) using the tools I recently bought(including tesco iron). Cost of the tools,iron and wax was about £50. It was easy to do and the results look good. I still have my skis to do tonight and as I just bought my wife a new pair of skis I think they will need their 1st wax. I think it will save a good amount of cash as well as the satisfaction of doing it myself.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok so having established that waxing is relatively easy (just need some clever idea to find the space to do it my self...) My skis do have some scoring down the bases, as a rule will simply waxing fill these up or do they need more attention than that. The scoring is not too bad, the worst is probably aprox 2mm wide but most of the length of the ski...

Next issue, Edges. These seem slightly more complicated than waxing alone? How often would you recommend getting these looked at?

I'm thinking a perchase of Spyderjons DVD might be in order as youtube was very helpfull but most of the videos did contradict one another in various ways... anyone have anything to say about his DVD?

Cheers CC
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crazy Climber, I'd be waiting until you get to resort and get them done overnight when you get there, cheaper and IMO likely a better job.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markymark29 wrote:
Crazy Climber, I'd be waiting until you get to resort and get them done overnight when you get there, cheaper and IMO likely a better job.

A couple of mates got their skis waxed and edged last weekend in La Clusaz, the cost was €15 each. Much cheaper than Snow & Rock and a mere 20 foot detour on the way to lift to pick them up in the morning.

I serviced mine myself before I went... I'd rather have paid €15 I think.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have had mine done at finches they seemed to have a done a very good job for a reasonable price.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richiavo wrote:
I have had mine done at finches they seemed to have a done a very good job for a reasonable price.

Out if interest, how much do they charge for a basic wax/edge?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's nothing quite so satisfying as standing at the top of a challenging run, looking down at those trusty skis you spent hours late last night lovingly scraping, polishing, sharpening, buffing, tuning. You can overlook the cuts and callouses and lack of sleep because you also had to get up early to check the snow temperature - you know it's all about this man in perfect harmony with ski moment.

Anyway, stuff that, take 'em into a decent resort shop when you get there - at least if they don't feel right you can take 'em back.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Surely it's down to the individual servicing them and not the shop!!!
S&R & Brighams do seem to charge a little too much.
I get mine done near Cambridge, £25, full service, £6 for Wax and Edges, bargain!
Then wax myself in resort if needed and normally don't ski one ski all week so edges normally last ok.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Here's another thought, does anyone know of/ can recommend a 'how to' style book for ski tuning? preferably with some cool pictures etc cos I'm simple like that...

Thanks for the suggestion of Finches, they aren't too far from me and didn't know about them so might take a wonder that way and have a nose around and oggle at the nice new shiny things lol.
ski holidays
Crazy Climber, Spyderjon's ski tuning DVD has lots of cool pictures - cos it's a DVD! Here is the link.
ski holidays
Jimmythefoot wrote:
Then wax myself in resort if needed....

So many comments... so little time... wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy