Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet reclassification

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone heard about the French attempt to reclassify chalets sleeping more than 16 guests, as hotels?

This would lead to a potential nightmare to chalet companies & owners, I imagine, as they would have to be manned 24hrs a day & have a different licence. I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The UK accommodation rating schemes (which are not fit for purpose) are being changed as well.
I wonder if there is some pan European system being planned?

I guess the French will attempt to answer the question of when is a Chalet a hotel which leads to another question of what is a Hotel. Confused

My final year thesis was on the Hotel Classification system in England, I can drone on about it for hours Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whatever you do, if this is true, make sure that you do not sleep more than 16 guests. The French tried something similar around 5 years ago, after the fires in multi-occupancy accommodation in Paris. (then the fire in the Novotel in Chamonix), and one somewhere else too.

There was a purge on chalets, and if you had more than 5 bedrooms you had to fit hotel-standard fire alarm system and detectors. Fire doors, Fire extingushers, have an annual check by the authorities etc. etc. 10-15k of expense!

Just seems like another form of French 'lets tax and cost Les Anglais!).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chamexpress,
Quote:

Just seems like another form of French 'lets tax and cost Les Anglais!).

Nope just sensible fire precautions the same as in the UK. If you have been a building that's on fire you would understand........
Presumably you have all the safety facilities available to protect your customers in your taxi business. Why shouldn't holiday accommodation providers?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 9-02-11 13:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Surely this is a good thing? Admittedly my experience of chalets is limited but I have found the lack of facilities and privacy a big disincentive to staying in a chalet as opposed to a hotel, especially when the prices are very comparable.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
genepi, I am not sure that there has to be 24-hour manning (or womanning) of hotels anywhere.
Boredsurfing, quite.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

the lack of facilities and privacy a big disincentive to staying in a chalet

The problem with any statement about "chalets" is that they tend to ignore the enormous range of chalets which exist. Many people stay in chalets precisely because the facilities and privacy are streets ahead of anything in most hotels. What could be more private than ensuring that no nasty strangers would be sharing your spa facilities or dining room? People don't make such sweeping statements about "hotels" - it's more obvious that there are cheap and nasty and dirty and smelly hotels or other establishments where you live in the lap of luxury with bowing flunkeys at every turn.

My son, who is doing a Ph D in Italy at the moment, has been persuaded away from his computer to do a week's cooking in a chalet in Courchevel at half term. He will be paid 1200 euros plus board, ski hire, etc etc. There will be no shortage of privacy and facilities in that chalet, I'm sure. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles, 24 hour manning (or at least overnight) is at minimum required by insurance companies and usually fire regs.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, Aha, thanks. I have stayed at hotels where the reception was not manned in the (late) evenings - though some staff member may well have been on premises.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles, The current English ratings require all 3 star and above hotels to have reception constantly 'attended' between 07:00 and 24:00, in between times, at minimum, a night porter must be available.
Ironically under the working time regs, the midnight finish means that the same person cannot have an 07:00 start as the rest period is too short!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, sorry, probably a bit of a sweeping generalisation from me. My experience of chalets is limited but I distinctly remember rooms with no ensuite or televisions or somewhere to sit other than the bed, hence the lack of privacy. I also stayed in one where the rooms didn't have locking doors, and was told this was normal for a chalet! Maybe I just stayed in the really low end of the market chalets!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Maybe I just stayed in the really low end of the market chalets!

sounds like it! Many have en suite bathrooms - even in the fairly modest price categories. But the cost of the high-end chalets can be quite ridiculous, as you can imagine if the chef alone costs over 1200 euros for the week. I don't know how many he'll be cooking for. In one chalet he worked in, in Val D'Isere, the cost was up to £50k a week for 12 en suite rooms. Shocked No travel, just the chalet. One very rich client (one of the richest men in England, I believe) just bought a party of 12 as he didn't want his guests to be too crowded. Cool That was a nice easy week of cooking, especially as they were aristocratic (so had much better manners than the internet millionaires;-) ), loved the food and left big tips!

Not the sort of circles I move in, with peeps sleeping on camping mattresses in the sitting room and making themselves cheese sarnies for lunch!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, definitely very different to my chalet experiences!

I guess what I wasn't so keen on is that a chalet felt more like a shared house, which is fine if the other people in the chalet are well behaved, but you could be stuck with a load of drunken chavs with screaming kids. With thin walls, shared bathrooms, shared living area and shared tables for meals, this would not feel much like a relaxing holiday. At least in a hotel, you can go to your room and lock the door!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, it is very common for chalet bedrooms to not be locked. I checked out some booking conditions the other day, and it did state that doors had no keys etc. Many of them belong to private owners and are leased from them by the chalet companies. I'm not a big fan either, but suspect the whole thing was meant for a single party to share the chalet not a bunch of individuals.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i jut stayed at a small chaet in la plagne. No keys or lock to the doors, didn't bother me. Had my lap top in the room etc... I was kind of hoping that thegirl in the next room would come and take advantage of us in the night.... but ho hum, never happened!!
snow report
I've stayed at lots of chalets (low end not posh) but always had en-suite. Wouldn't have booked otherwise. Never had a telly though. Never had locks on door either but as I always shared with OH, it didn't bother me. I guess if I was on my own like queen bodecia, I may have felt differently. Definitely prefer hotels now as food/hot water more reliable but have had good times in chalets in the past.
snow report
I much prefer chalets, much more freindly and social than hotels, for the same money, I'd rather stay in a lower end chalet than a 5* hotel, not that I've ever had enough money to do more than look through the window of a 5* hotel!.
latest report
pam w,
Quote:

My son, who is doing a Ph D in Italy at the moment, has been persuaded away from his computer to do a week's cooking in a chalet in Courchevel at half term. He will be paid 1200 euros plus board, ski hire, etc etc. There will be no shortage of privacy and facilities in that chalet, I'm sure. wink

Nice gig for your lad Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Nice gig for your lad

yes, but he did say that given the number of hours he'd been working, it wasn't THAT well paid. He won't be able to knock up a big pot of spag bol then go off snowboarding all day. wink But he loves cooking, and it'll be a change from computational neuroscience. He'll get a lot of job satisfaction if the clients (and therefore the staffing agency he works for) are happy. He did say he might treat himself to a new snowboard, his existing one having been bought ex-hire in Brighton for £50 6 years ago.
ski holidays
To be a Chambre d'Hote in France you have to have less than 5 bedrooms, and sleep 15 people or less. Perhaps they are simply trying to bring UK-operated chalets within French law?
snow report
pam w, in my experience as a sous, having done private and chalet catering, your son should be able to get quite a good stint on the slopes...

It's all about the planning and if he does not mind early starts, morning preparation for the evening meal ensures plenty of time.

Of course I do not know if he has to help out around the chalet also which would definately cut into his time.

My schedule... and I am sure the TO will have a schedule also. It all depends on how demanding the chalet crowd are, but I find that if I stick to the below plan, it is only getting additional ingredients which will tend to bite into my free time. Below is based on being soley a Chef and your chalet hands will manage all the rest. I also never compromise on getting additional ingredients, yes, I have to get them.

Eve before
After mains and desert cooked start planning breakfast and afternoon tea. Check you have all ingredients, especially for evening meal.
06:30am in the kitchen prepping breakfast (eg laying out everything to hand eggs, bacon, bread, flour, sugar, salt, etc... as breakfast can be adhoc. If planned what there is each day for hot breakfast, even easier)
07:00 Chalet hands should shortly be on hand (07:00-07:30) to lay table etc...
07:00am start afternoon tea cake etc...
07:30am baking in oven
07:30am start prepping vegetables and other time consuming activities for evening meal
08:00am Guests should normally be arriving for breakfast (this point can move dependant on guests and hence what comes before moves with it)
08:10am Chalet hands should have taken breakfast orders for hot breakfast (if many, it is important to get orders in asap)
08:10am-09:00am Cooking breakfast (not forgetting the baking)
09:30am last of breakfast and kitchen/cooker cleaning (should already be quite clean as any good chef cleans as they go along)
10:00am Advise Chalet hands of cake and other baking to be laid out when they leave, or if guests have already gone do yourself
10:15am Go buy missing ingredients and or free slope time.
eg a good 5 hours
16:00hrs Leave slope, have shower and go to Chalet.
16:30-45hrs at the latest at Chalet and dependant on if Children meals are required.
17:00hrs start prepping and cooking evening meal (canapes, starter, soup, main, desert, cheese board)

erm sorry for the off topic and hijack! Sad
snow conditions
Quote:

they would have to be manned 24hrs a day & have a different licence

Why? I've stayed in plenty of 2* hotels which aren't staffed 24/7. And the type of licence you have relates to your habits regarding the sale of booze, not whether or not you're a hotel.

The difference will be in the fire regulations (ie there will have to be some). As Hells Bells, says, they would appear to be applying the law regarding hotels/chambres d'hôtes to catered chalets. This sounds more than sensible to me, as I'm in broadly in favour of not being burnt to death in my bed.

The catered chalet is a hallmark of the British tour op industry, which is notoriously John Wayne across the board. No doubt they will yelp about it, but I can't really see that they have a leg to stand on in objecting to having to stick to the same guest safety rules as everyone else.
snow report
michaelminhatkinson, there's no TO - not that sort of job.

He's done the job before - for two seasons, working for the same agent (he originally got a job with Mark Warner but found them so cr@p that he jacked in the job after 1 week and went free-lance). That's how he got head-hunted for this one. Problem with this one is that he has no "run in" time for any preparation, has no idea what sort of junk might be in the freezers, doesn't know the equipment. Especially as snow conditions look likely to be pretty shocking he will probably prefer to take his time getting it really right and enjoying the work rather than being in a frantic panic.

There's little prospect of his having to do any other "helping out" round the chalet! Though I suppose he might if the chalet hostess was really cute and asked nicely.

I wonder if the new regulations would be different for that sort of "chalet" where one party rents a big house - just like people in the UK who rent a big house for a family party? As opposed to a TO selling rooms, which is much more like a hotel. Could certainly lead to some major shake up in the way the sector works. One of the places he worked was just a private chalet, owned by a Parisian banker - a large private house, essentially, though with lots of bedrooms so they could invite their friends. Certainly slept more than 16 - I had a look round it; unbelievable! How the other .0001% live. Presumably the law wouldn't affect them at all.
snow report
Lizzard, I wonder for how much longer Uk tour ops will get away with employing staff on the pitiful wages and Uk contract?
snow conditions
Hells Bells, well, the TOs can always contact nixmap for advice if French law tightens up.
latest report
Hells Bells, until everyone else gets tired of illegals undercutting their wages bill? Or someone with enough money sues them? To be honest, I predict that they will just carry on getting away with it.

I was told last week that TUI's bar staff in 2Alpes are on about 300€ a month and not even getting lift passes. Shocked
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Hells Bells, until everyone else gets tired of illegals undercutting their wages bill? Or someone with enough money sues them? To be honest, I predict that they will just carry on getting away with it.

I was told last week that TUI's bar staff in 2Alpes are on about 300€ a month and not even getting lift passes. Shocked

Seems ok, It all depends on the work load. If the Bar is only open 6 - 11 and theres not many people, you get free accom and free drinks whats the betting you save more on having to buy a ski pass than the alchohol you consume.
How much is a beer in the french Alps now?
latest report
Quote:

How much is a beer in the french Alps now?

in our local, £4.38 (at current woeful euro exchange rate) for a large beer. How much is it in your local?

I don't have much bar work experience but even as a volunteer in the Sailing Club bar (paid zilch) we most definitely do NOT get free drinks. We pay for our own.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nixmap, this is a public bar, open mid afternoon until 2am, staff working 40 hours a week. If they drank the stock they'd get fired. TOs don't do fun part-time hobby jobs.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
nixmap, 40 hours a week. TOs don't do fun part-time hobby jobs.

Ouch, Thats a tough gig
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
in our local, £4.38 (at current woeful euro exchange rate) for a large beer. How much is it in your local?

Honestly I have no idea. I make my own.

Probably not that much though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy