Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for a 'guaranteed' powder trip?

Poster: A snowHead
We cat skiied with Monashee Powder in British Columbia and had 4 days of waist deep (over the head when you turn) powder! Very Happy

Absolutely fantastic and highly recommended! Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.monasheepowder.com/?gclid=CIGM7Mqk0aYCFQZO4QodMUrLHg
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Rosiere ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
smclean0 - if you don't mind me asking - what was the approximate cost of each trip? I keep getting sorely tempted by Japan but bottle it each season.
DB - great vids; big envy going on now!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Big Paua wrote:
smclean0 - if you don't mind me asking - what was the approximate cost of each trip? I keep getting sorely tempted by Japan but bottle it each season.
DB - great vids; big envy going on now!
Big Paua - Depends on if you do it on a budget or not. We stay in good accommodation next to the lifts, go out for dinner every night to nice places and drink a lot in the pubs.

For a 2 weeks trip (12days skiing) it cost us around £2,300 for flights from London, transfers, accommodation and lift pass and I took about £900 spending money which was pretty much spot on for what I needed

Obviously flights, lift pass and transfers are fixed price but if you could stay in a much cheaper hotel or pension (sort of like hostels) if you wanted, not go to restaurants and eaten in and not drank alcohol/buy it from supermarket and you would be able to take a big chunk out of that price.

If you can afford it, you should do it - it doesn’t stop snowing there and is an amazing time. We are already planning our trip back there for next year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK ta for that - info for the decision making mix next season
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Big Paua, no worries - if you want any detailed info give me a shout - i organise the trip for my group every year and reseach things in depth so will have everything at hand if you need it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
smclean0 - how easy would it be to combine with a visit to one of the big cities (Tokyo, Osaka etc.)? I am thinking 2 week trip 4 days skiing, 3 days in a city, and 4 days skiing again.

Totally stoked about the powder. Awesome.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VamP, Niseko is an 1.5hour flight and a 3hour bus ride away from Tokyo.

On our first year we went to Tokyo for a few days at the end of our trip, we were going to do it the next year as well but the cost of adding stop over in Tokyo was really expensive and the flight times werent great for getting to/from Niseko. So for the last 2 years we have done a small stopover in Sapporo.

Nisko and Sapporo are both on the north island though so means its nice and easy to commute between Sapporo and a lot of north island ski resorts. Would be a lot more expensive and time consuming commuting between Tokyo and Osaka and the north island so you might want to look at doing one trip to the north island, go to tokyo/osaka then finding a resort on the mainland to head to after that.

Tokyo and Osaka are great cities so are worth the visit, Sapporo is really good as well and what i would call a real japanese city, though if you've never been to Tokyo its a must do in my opinion.

The best pow is up in the north though so depends what time of year you are heading up.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
smclean0, where in Sapporo did you stay?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
To OP.

Try a PM tp powdermutt. I was with him in Japan in 2010, and he went catskiing in Fernie this year.

He rated that as better than Japan Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB, thanks for that...

I now have a destination for my 40th birthday in 4 years time and plenty of time to save Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
smclean0,

Great info, thanks for that. I am thinking January is the best month, is that about right? Are there any dates specifically to avoid going? School holidays etc.?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VamP, I am also doing some research Jan and Feb seem to be the most snowiest, with Jan being more snowy. Try and avoid Chinese New Year as prices go up a fair bit over that period.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If powder was the all-important factor I'd go for Japan, no doubt about it. BC/Alaska have the scenery and the terrain but much less predictable weather. We went to BC once for five weeks (the whole of January) and it snowed three times. Of course if you're heli skiing with the option of cat or lift if the weather's not good, then the risk is much decreased but still.

I've been to Hokkaido in summer and would love to go back in winter, it's an amazing place.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For me - it would be a private A-star/Cruise in AK. IF I could find 7 friends with 10,000 dollars each then this would be it.

http://www.alaskaheliski.com/experience/heli-ski-cruise/

Dont think anywhere would come close to even 2 good days in Alaska.....
snow report
smclean0 - thanks for your kind offer. I'll keep it in mind when I'm doing my usual indecisive "Um? Aah? Um?" act on destination choice for next season.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, which kind of makes the point about the nature of skiing. I went catskiing in Fernie in an epic season - and the powder on the lift-served stuff was better Madeye-Smiley

Skied a month back with a couple of Aussies who skied a lot in Japan and had reservations about the restrictions on off-piste and tree skiing in most resorts. It's still on my to-to list though.
snow conditions
rob@rar, I stayed in the Sapporo airport hotel then caught train in to the city centre. Our flight left at 7am so was really handy in the morning. Was a nice enough hotel and pretty cheap. Think it was called hotel com.

VamP, Pretty much what kitenski said - though I would personally say Jan is the best month. Chinese new year is really busy and expensive and the queues get a bit longer but is a good party/experience if you are around. I've done it once and choose to avoid now!

Going back to the last few comments, I've heard there is cat and heli skiing that can be really good but the plus point about japan and niseko is that it is that the backcountry or 'slackcountry' as its known is so accessible with little or no hiking that it's hard to look past. Throw the cost of cat and heli skiing for 2 weeks in to the mix it would make the cost of going to japan insignificant.
snow report
smclean0, thanks.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy