Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WC Ladies SG Garmisch

Poster: A snowHead
been listening to the comments about the state of the hill, apparently as its so fast they will set so as to take some of the speed out of the very icy passages. Lyndsay Vonn has also announced she is starting.

watch out for Rebensburg, she knows that hill and fears nothing! BTW course setter is Nikki Hosps trainer, she sounds very confident!

oops had to edit as contained spoilers for anyone who will be watching it later!!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 8-02-11 11:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kooky, pure gamesmaship from Vonn - frankly I'm disappointed in her as I always admired her for her more European attitude to the sport and the inherent risks.

My money is on Rebensburg rather than Riesch. I think Riesch is under impossible pressure and I'm not sure she can respond any more. Since she announced her engagement, she seems to be less hungry - she certainly won't need to work when she marries that's for sure!

Let it all rock and roll! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
just heard Rebensburg has 38 degree fever and wont race Sad

Christ that is blank ice Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kooky, Fischbacher just over-cooked it then seemed to bottle at the same place she fell last year (according to Hilde Gerg on ZDF) That is sure some shiny ice!

Good runs from Fenniger and Görgl though.

Looks like the virus is running a good race as well - pity about young Rebensburg as she really is exciting to watch and obviously enjoys her races so much. She was great after the Sölden win in October chatting to all the fans who stopped by to congratulate her.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well done Liz.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DB, Great run from her wasn't it - Hilde Gerg was really full of praise.

The general consensus across German TV and the Eurosport commentators (British and German) seems to be that Vonn psyched herself out of the race rather than her opponents. The only person being almost pro Vonn seems to be Nic Fellowes (not that that surprises me!), while his more knowledgeable partner in crime, Clarke, feels that Vonn made a big error with her comments.

I hope the virus affecting Rebensburg does not spread to others in the team and that she is OK for next week at least. Having been hit with one that seems to be doing the rounds in my neck of the woods this past week, it is really debilitating!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
very happy to see Fischi walk away unhurt, that was truly horrific to watch as she went into freefall down the ice, she said she had time to think while she was sliding enough to turn round and hit the netting with her legs, rather than her face Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue,

Yeah Liz sang and raced well.

Fischbacher and Vonn had issues with the course that worked against them but that's understandable considering Fischbachers fall on the same course last year and Vonn's recent fall. Having said that they both have more balls than the commentators.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, Not the ZDF one - Hilde Gerg but definately more than Mr Fellowes. It is a real pity that Matt Chilton and Chemmy are not commentating

BTW does anyone know if the Jonathan Clarke commentating for Eurosport UK is the same one who won the KL Race in Les Arcs in 1986? I was on the side of the Aiguille Rouge piste when he won that race - now that did really take a hell of a lot of balls!!! I've got some photos somewhere that I can scan in and post as being of historical value I suppose rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kooky wrote:
very happy to see Fischi walk away unhurt, that was truly horrific to watch as she went into freefall down the ice, she said she had time to think while she was sliding enough to turn round and hit the netting with her legs, rather than her face Shocked Shocked

kooky did you see that one of the guys who went to help repair the catch netting also took a tumble and did a nice slide for a few meters.....just as well the second catch netting was there to stop him!! wink

I've never seen it before, but the coach giving a piggy back to Fischi whilst skiing down the side of the course was cool. Hell, you'd not want to chance walking it would you. Now I know how to get back to the valley after few too many in the ski hut!!! wink I'm not that heavy, honestly Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For christ fu*** sake what the hell are they doing here in Garmisch. Course was so icy, that telling it's pure ice is understatement. I went down the course twice, for first time without photo backpack, and I was just sliding. You slide and slide, and can't do anything much about it. Ok it's a bit easier if you ski, but without speed and no turning (when you slip down the course) it was really crazy. And it's not I wouldn't have sharp edges, but this... it can easily qualify as on of iciest courses I have ever seen, and I've seen few.
Looks like this will be interesting WCH, especially if they will keep courses in this conditions. For GS and SL it's fine, but for speed, this is crazy... even for men, not for women. But at least results are still pretty much right ones. Best ones were still on top Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sleipnir, I was videoing my son at Hinterreit in training a few years ago and stood in the steep and made the fatal mistake of taking my skis off Shocked I slid about 60 meters lost bits of my video camera, skin and a vast part of my dignity it was pretty scary on the ice and I wasn´t doing 100 kmh like Fischbacher. It is truly impossible to walk in ski boots on those pistes Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
primoz, hell Shocked do you know who is course setting the mens? They will have to take the speed out somehow or it´s going to be carnage Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kooky no idea, and to be honest, don't feel like searching for this info now. But I will find out in hour or so, when there's team captains meeting for tomorrows race. But to be honest, I'm not sure tight turny course is better option, then going straight down. From there where I was standing today, I had view to 2 or 3 gates of mens course, and it really was set pretty much like GS. But turning on this ice might be more tricky then just letting skis run straight down.
So we will see what will be tomorrow. To be honest, I was expecting worse for today, so today ended up pretty good and safe.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
primoz wrote:
To be honest, I was expecting worse for today, so today ended up pretty good and safe.

Me too primoz I think they really "dodged a bullet" as the Americans would say. But you cannot keep on dodging them....

I know it's not exactly the same and an exaggeration, but I remember watching a Discovery TV programme about the Challenger Shuttle disaster.

The rocket engineers at Morton Thiokol were saying, "no we should not launch, we need to check everything is still ok" but their senior managers told them "take of your engineeing hat and put on a commercial hat. Are you saying we must tell NASA that they cannot launch (and our product is not good enough)?" With this pressure they gave them the green light

When interviewing an engineer after the event he said "I honestly told my wife that we dodged a bullet when it did not blow up on the launch pad"...and then, well we all know what happened

I think that this is a prime example of how commercial pressure plays a huge part in decisions when it comes to safety

Of course, with all my heart, I hope that the World Champs go ahead without major incidents and injuiries, but seeing the racing today makes me think

Changing the subject, the slo mo action on Austrian TV was excellent especially in the steilhang. Have never seen a ski flex so much and fight to get grip. You have to give it to the girls (and guys) they have bigger eggs (as the Austrians would say) than I have Shocked
latest report
http://www.fisalpine.com/news/gap-2011-goergl-goes-from-music-hero-super-gold-medal,1162.html good report here
snow conditions
Primoz - how warm/hot is it out there ? Eurosport were saying it's getting up to 17 degrees !!! Is this true ? There didn't seem to be much snow on the opposite side of the valley from some of the tv pictures.
ski holidays
It's pretty warm down in GAP. I still wouldn't say +17, but it's around +10 for sure. Hill is all day in shadow, so there's not much of this heat up there, so I would say it's nice and comfortable up on hill with temperatures around 0c. It's nice to work, compared to few days on last years finals, when temperatures were around -20c Smile At the moment (8am) it's -6c, so everything is frozen again Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy