Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travelling advise through France sought.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
My bro in law is driving to Morzine next week & has asked me about the drive down ( as I have done it before); I did mention you can get caught in long delays at the Reims peage but, seem to recall a reference on these boards that Reims may now be totally bypassed without leaving motorway ( thus not having delays); Cam anyone confirm/deny this?
Thanks in advance

Mitch
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mitchell, Yep Reims bypass is open BUT there is still a peage but no queues at 'normal' times,- there were huge queues returning after New Year.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Such a pity that there are still two peage gates. Not going to help too much at half term - will be huge queues then, too. But at least it means you don't have to cope with Reims rush hour traffic, which can be quite a delay.

When we're on the subject, I have a niece and party driving down at half term, can't leave till after school Friday (she works in a school). What are the roads like driving down overnight at half term? They aim to arrive into resort early morning and beat the worst of the traffic. fingers crossed. Puzzled

I am wondering about lending them my T-peage badge, but they're in a minibus which won't go under the lower gates, so maybe it won't help at all?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boredsurfing,
How 'long' would a 'huge' queue take ; am lending him my T-peage box so hopefully he can skip down the side of the queue.
Thanks
Mitch
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mitchell, Huge queue at a peage is defined as stationary traffic back onto the 2 (or 3) lane carriageway thus preventing the smug gits using telepeage boxes from accessing the Telepeage lane. Toofy Grin wink

pam w, Leaving after school on Friday halfterm I have never done BUT would expect gridlock on the M25 chaos at the tunnel (or ferryport) and then a normal Friday night drive through France, the drive up the hill on Saturday morning should be fine, Hopefully their accommodation provider knows they are arriving so early?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I am wondering about lending them my T-peage badge, but they're in a minibus which won't go under the lower gates, so maybe it won't help at all?

It doesn't matter that they are in a minibus as the T-peage badges are not vehicle specific, they will just be charged the Class 2 rate rather than Class 1 as a car is, although having said that it also seems to depend on the actual peage gates themselves, as our minibus sometimes goes through at Class 1 and then other times at Class 2.
Definitely worth them using it though to avoid any queues they may come across.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have done half term hell a few times and have used the N roads in preference to the autoroute when getting close on Saturday morning , and have kept moving when the autoroute has been at a standstill.

Good luck.

John
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rebeccay, I believe the Doofers are vehicle specific. When I ordered mine I had to select the vehicle class it applied to.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Basil, oh that's strange, because mine definitely aren't, I can use them in any vehicle. I've just checked my application form for the last 2 I ordered at the beginning of this season and at no stage did I have to select the class of vehicle I wanted.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Basil, yes you have to give them a reg when you buy/sign up to one but they are person specific not vehicle specific.

pam w, I've always been charged class 1 in mini buses.

rebeccay, which buses are class 2............. the tallest I can think of is the Transit and they go under the 2m bar and I'm pretty sure they are charged at class 1 rate.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Hopefully their accommodation provider knows they are arriving so early?

Yep, that's me, and I shall be long gone; I don't do half term. But they are only paying £150 for a two bedroom piste side apartment at half term.

the big queues I saw going south, when driving home on the Saturday morning of half term, were filling all lanes for miles before the peage gate - maybe 4 - 5 miles? if you lost only an hour on the way down you'd be doing very well, I reckon.

I've driven down to Geneva early on the big Christmas/New Year changeover day, and was driving back up the hill by 10 am, by which time the roads coming down (which had been very empty when I'd done them at sparrows) were chock a block, with queues building on the A40 peage.

I'll check the paperwork which came with my T-peage doofer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I never got delayed by more than about 30minutes last season at the Bonneville A40 peage.. but somehow eventually managed to squeeze to the LHS and get through the doofa lane whereas those waiting in the rest of the lanes had a longer wait.

As pam w, says if you're going from GVA early it's ok in that direction but it's from mid morning through until early evening that it's a pain and the opposite as people leave resorts (ie pain from early through to midday and then ok(Ish) in the afternoon...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mitchell, Oh and take care if using a card which charges a transaction fee every time - it can double the cost of short stages and make a very expensive trip horrendous!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mitchell, The cheapest petrol we found on the drive down was at the huge LeClerc, just by junction 23 on the new A4 Reims bypass

They were also doing a special deal on champagne Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rebeccay, marcellus, What I was trying to say was that I purchased a Doofer for a class one vehicle, not my vehicle, so I could put it in any type I wanted, if I wanted. If I put it in a class 2 vehicle (whatever one of those is) I suppose it is possible that the barrier gestapo would nick me. I imagine a truck would cost several times more than a car.

Not sure of the height by which a vehicle class changes. A Chelsea Tractor with a pushbike on top would be significantly higher than a Transit, but still be a class 1 status.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy