Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming Jan 29 - Feb 5 Trip Report

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Resort- Schladming

Hotel- Kirchenwirt

Travel- D.i.Y

What a really great trip - completely different to last years.Travel from Ireland to Schladming absolutely smooth - Wexford Bus-Ryanair-Salzburg tram-O.B.B. to Schladming.Travelled with 2 of my sons Racerboy 11yrs and Freestyler 15yrs.Lots of comments on the "Harry Potter" style train compartments and whoops of "anything from the trolley" from racerboy who had never been on a train before.Hotel laid on taxi from station to hotel at their expense which was a nice touch and the same again for our return trip.

Schladming Ski -- Was here last year for nightrace week and was a bit wary because of crowds of "skiers" charging down every slope, regardless of colour, trying to get as close as possible to anyone in their way, no such problems this year,not deserted slopes but no need to be looking over your shoulder every turn or when you wanted to stop.Skied a day on each mountain including Fageralm (beautiful but long drags at top) and returned to our favourite (Reiteralm) on the last day.Racerboy did a couple of hours training with a local team and was made welcome (dont get too many racers from Ireland in Reiteralm) while Freestyler checked out the natural stuff from the chairlift and then skied them despite screams of horror from chairlift passengers.Runs overall were challenging enough in the main and great for practising for my upcoming IASI Level 1, don't think I was bored at all and the boys certainly were not.Didn't kill ourselves and took a couple of hot choc stops + lunch each day still managed 30k mtrs of vertical.Overall really impressed with the area and wanted to travel to Radstadt/Altenmarkt but was outvoted by the boys.

Hotel Kirchenwirt-- Nice first impressions and more than adequate for us but menu was very pork dominated and a bit samey by weeks end but we got a good deal for the 3 of us so no real complaints bit we did hear a bit of moaning from some - should have stayed in a more expensive option if thats what they wanted.Went to the AQI hotel opposite Planai gondola a couple of times and was well impressed,also only 10e extra pn 1/2 board to what I paid so would try it next time, looked and felt very smart but very little discount for kids.

Schladming Resort- Great spot second time round,developments at Planai base excellent-heated lockers,access via lift pass so no fiddling for coins at end of play,lifts and escalators from lockers to ground level and up to lift floor. Ski shops at lift station more expensive than village centre
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
briand6868, thanks for an interesting report, I'll be there in a couple of weeks! How did you arrange for Racerboy to train with the local team?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slikedges - enjoy the trip, just bumped into a group training and left the lad to watch while we did a couple of laps,when we got back he had joined in with his new "Austrian friends" - don't know if they were a local school or team but they had all the gear and certainly knew what they were about but as I have very little German beyond danke shun it was impossible to sound out the coach to see if I could make any other arrangements for later in the week,we went back on the Friday but there was no-one training on the hill except a Swedish team with Olympic kit bags and there own skidoo so just sat and admired for a while.If your interested in racing try to contact Flangesax who lives in the area and he may be able to put you in touch with local race coaches.It was my sons first outing on snow since he started racing on dendix about 18 months ago but the improvement was clear to see, absolutely no fear on any run and straight-lining it at will,lots of permenant race courses dotted about and speed traps but watch out for metal race gates - they hurt believe me...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great report, thanks, we have been there around the same time, might post short photo report tomorrow. We skied on Saturday 29th and it was rather busy there, similar feeling with "skiers charging down every slope" but afterwards it was much quieter. I would probably vote for Hauser as the favourite one. Although the run to the new gondola in Reiteralm was brilliant. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great Report. Schladming is one of our Favourite resorts. Last time we were there we had a drink with the one and only Johnny Logan in the Honehaus Tenne before the Night Race.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Johnny Logan - theres a blast from the past, a friend of mine is the absolute image of him and always getting the eye from more mature ladies if we're out..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy