Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tecnica Phoenix airshell boot - does it do what it says on the tin??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any bootfitters out there? I would appreciate your views. I'm interested in the new Tecnica Phoenix airshell boot, but the bootfitter I went to yesterday said that the air compresses as you ski and therefore your foot ends up moving around a little so you don't get the snug fit you want. He reckons that even though this boot is marketed with high flex versions, it just doesn't stack up as a performance boot. Does anyone out there know if there is any truth in this - that the airshell doesn't actually produce the snug secure fit that it's supposed to??
I'm not looking for a high performance boot by the way. I'm an advanced intermediate - possibly even getting into the advanced category, keen on improving, average height/weight. I have wide feet and when I bought my previous boots, the guy sold me a pair that I've since found out were a whole size larger than my mondo size (23.0) - probably to make up for the foot width I guess. I was an early intermediate then and it wasn't too much of a problem until I started tackling more challenging terrain when my foot started to move around in the boot. Needless to say, I'm now looking for something that's really going to hold my foot in place - as it should!!
The bootfitter yesterday recommended the Tecnica Dragon 90 which felt OK but he had to go up to a 23.5 because of the width of my feet and when I tried on the shell without the liner, I could fit two fingers between my heel and the shell with my toes touching the front of the shell. That made me nervous that this boot was going to end up being too big too. That's why I was thinking maybe something like the airshell would be good as I might be able to get in to a 23.0 but still get a snug fit - it the airshell works of course!
Any views on this much appreciated.
Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Neigehead, I would ask CEM perhaps on the buying boots thread, a guy at the rental place in the resort told me that the Phoenix Airshell were good for performance rentals as could be tweaked to get a reasonable fit however I had the impression from him that I should get a boot that fits in the first place, he suggested looking at the different Company websites and look at the widths they do (for example my new Atomic Hawx 80's have a 100mm last width do you know what your width measurement is?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks littlerocky, think you're right - I should cut and paste this over to the boots thread. My food width is 100mm. How do you find the Hawx? Do you think it helps that you have a bit more flex in the forefoot?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i bought these this year, and had a most weonderful first week with them -wonderfully comfortable, warm in very cold weather, and nice simple adjustment for apparent "fit" ' they have a flex of something like 80 or 90 (?) i think maybe less, but i skiid really well thsi year with them so very pleased.
Time will tell whether they keep their fit in years to come
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi

Wife has got ladies ones this season and loves them.She has a lot of problems with her feet ,bunions and a hammer toe and they now do not cause any problems.The bottom line is you still have to be careful sizing as the air pockets will not correct boots that are to big in the first place.But if you have normal feet and have not had problems the tradional boot fitting may still be best
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy