Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix/Le Tour Info For Easter Break

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Hoping someone can offer some help and advice. I am hoping to go skiing on the 16th April for a week (Easter break) and the only place that I can see being suitable with good snow is the Chamonix area, as its not far from Geneva where we can still get flights to that time of year (From Newcastle).

The only thing is my wife is fairly new to skiing and it is only the area of Le tour which sounds like it would be suitable, I have read elsewhere is more advanced and not easy to get round some of the mountains. Does anyone know if there is historically good snow there round that time (I can find reports for bigger ski areas but not this one), what are the queues like (I know, our fault going in Easter break!)and is there enough to keep you busy there for a week? Or is there anywhere else in the Chamonix area that might be suitable?

Also if anyone knows much about the hotels and ski school there that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Aidan
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
aidanbrowne, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I just wondered why you feel that you have to go to Chamonix? Although it is very close to Geneva, there are other resorts within 2-2.5 hours away which may suit you at least as well if not better.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for reply, only reason I have gone for Chamonix is it was the nearest resort I could find to Geneva with a high altitude and decent snow over April, more than open to any other suggestions that would be more suitable as dont mind the extra transfer if there is somewhere not as busy with more beginner runs.

Cheers
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would suggest that the best resorts for that time of year for someone learning would be Val Thorens, Tignes or Les DeuX Alpes. All within about 2.5 hours from Geneva.

Reason that I sat them is that I don't know what Le Tours would be like in mid/late April, but there will be others that do.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for that will have a look at them as well
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
aidanbrowne, I'm surprised that more people haven't commented on this thread. Confused

If you are flexible as to where to go, changing the thread title to a more general "Where to ski at Easter?" would attract lots more attention. You can edit your posts by clicking on the scissors icon to the right of the post.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unless you're into hardcore off-piste, I wouldn't bother with Chamonix at all. It's all busing, queuing and old infrastructure IMV. Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A friend of mine has booked the week before you and we've both done seasons in Chamonix so I wouldn't say don't go BUT...I would say it's a gamble that late in the season if your at a novice level as only Grand Montets could be open. If other areas are open Flegere has an enjoyable green for the nervous, followed by a scenic (if a little short) blue to build confidence before going up to the top for a challenging end to the day. Le tour is good for begginers as you know.
Certain pisted will be shut, but could be the case across the alps.

Les deux alpes is a good suggestion thats pretty easy on the wallet (although I hear Alpe d'Huez is having a poor season at the moment)!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
aidanbrowne, I'd agree with Ray Zorro that there are much better resorts for you to choose than Chamonix. The only high altitude bit of Chamonix is also pretty challenging (and if the snow is poor all around, could be very busy). If your wife is a fairly nervous skier then even Flegere/Brevent can be a bit intimidating (though the views are stunning!).

Generally speaking Easter isn't very busy in France - they're mostly into mountain biking by then. wink Certainly infinitely less busy than the 4 week French school holidays February/March.

The high altitude resorts are a bit further from Geneva but would be well worth the extra travel. there are good ski schools (and not so good) in all of them - maybe decide on a resort first? The three mentioned - tignes, Val Thorens, Les Deux alpes, are all quite different, all have their pros and cons.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
aidanbrowne,

1. leave accommodation booking late.

2. be open with your options. We've had excellent Easter WEs in PDS, Grand Massif and of course Cham. Last Easter hols (can't recall dates, but coincident with Aberdeenshire school hols) we were skiing knee deep powder.

3. Chamonixis awesome but, in fairness, is not necessarily where I'd take someone new to skiing. Avoriaz a better option. Leaving it late means you can optimise your experience.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
aidanbrowne,
Quote:

the nearest resort I could find to Geneva with a high altitude and decent snow over April, more than open to any other suggestions that would be more suitable as dont mind the extra transfer if there is somewhere not as busy with more beginner runs.

Never been but Saas Fee sounds pretty good for these requirements. Zermatt is pretty good as well but a bit pricey. If you are planning on hoteling it I would say that generally Swiss hotels beat French hotels at the same price band.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cervinia. High and bluesy cruisey. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks all for the suggestions think I need to go back to the drawing board and rather than sacrificing some of the requirements have a look at these places a little bit further away from Geneva. Val Thorens looks good so far. Reaffirms my doubts about chamonix as well so will deffo give that a miss.

Cheers
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Actually had a quick look at Cervinia Mollerski that looks pretty good there, reasonable price and 2 hours from Geneva. Have you by any chance ever been over Easter time? Ha ha I am completely back to the drawing board now, decisions decisions!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Le Tour is not high and gets direct sunshine so is unlikely to be open much into April. The 2 short greens at Flegere are only at 1800m and not ideal for a total beginner. I would save Chamonix until your wife is more confident, or would go earlier in the year when it is more snow sure at the lower ski areas.

I would agree with everyone else and recommend Tignes, Les Deux Alps or Val Thorens for good snow in April and a good selection of pistes for your wife, whilst she is progressing.

There is no point staying very close to Geneva when an extra hour away may give you a much better holiday for the whole week.
latest report
Thanks all for the help, looked closely at val thorens and cervinia with cervinia winning in the end thanks to the prices and found an awesome looking hotel there. Really appreciate the pointers.
latest report
Ok, now stop looking at prices!

You have peace of mind that your holiday is booked but you may have got a few more quid off if you'd have waited another couple of weeks. That said you might have got the deal of the season, I don't know, so sit back dream and enjoy it when you get there! Very Happy
snow conditions
Flaine should be still open by then, Verbier certainly will. I'd book accomodation late, see where is still good. There's no need to book early for late season holidays.
snow report
Chamonix (le pass) is made up of 3 main areas, Brévent-Flegere right near Chamonix central, Grands Montets,which includes the most challenging and longest opening pistes and Col de Balme (Vallorcine / Le Tour) which is a great all-round area - skiied there yesterday, not too challenging at all, unless you take advantage of the huge off piste opportunities. It is very cheap to eat there too, nice self-catering accommodation right next to the Vallorcine bubble. However, the beginner's slopes at Le Tour are right at the bottom, look fine right now, but may not be open in mid April. I'd definitely wait and see. what the weather throws at the slopes. Just back literally now, it snowed again today, but the snow is not the best quality, is not lying in the lower areas. The skiing is still really good in Le Tour but may be crap by mid April. If the weather is kind, Odalys L'Ours Bleu is the self-catering right next to the lift in Vallorcine. Or if you want a hotel, there is one at Le Buet, 5 minutes from Vallorcine. Or if you want one in a most beautiful Swiss village just next to Vallorcine, there's Mont Fleuri hotel in Finhaut, a fantastic place, the train takes you in 15 minutes down to Vallorcine and next to the bubble lift, a I should write this but no-one ever seems to check your ticket on the train and if the ticket counter is closed, you can't buy one!
snow conditions
aidanbrowne, Verbier in Suiss is one of the best resort in Europe, less than 2h30min from Geneva but stay in Nendaz a little cheaper and nicer,
http://www2.verbier.ch/en/
snow conditions
A tip if you are going to ski 4 vallées including Verbier for 6 days or more. A 4 vallées pass for one adult cost 272 euro for 6 days, a Mont Blanc Unlimited (MBU) pass which includes the Chamonix valley, Courmayeur AND 4 vallées too costs only 250 euro for 6 days. You take the MBU pass each day to the ticket booth anywhere in 4 Vallées and exchange it for a day pass for 4 vallées. If you are a family of 2 + 3 or 2 +3 or 2 +4 etc, it is even better value.
http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/pages/information_forfaits_chamonix.html

At the end of last season, the week around 16th April even had a special offer on the MBU pass, reducing the prices even further. Worth waiting to buy the MBU or Chamonix passes a few weeks before, to see if they again do a late season reduction. Passes for week of 23rd April onwards are already offered at a reduction.
snow report
PS another tip for Swiss resorts if flying into Geneve, it's possible a return ticket is cheaper if you buy a Swiss Transfer ticket in advance, 130 CHF or approximately 100 euro. So Geneva to Verbier return, change at Martigny and Le Chable onto a bus, costs only 130 CHF. Children under 16 travel free with an adult.

https://www.sbb.ch/mct/wi/shop/b2c/adw.do?6055
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy