Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bad Hofgastein questions

Poster: A snowHead
I've looked at the few current threads on Bad Hofgastein on this forum, but there are a couple of other questions I wonder whether m'learned snowheads could answer for me.

Looking at the town map: http://www.gastein.com/mmdb/3/2/1759.pdf
it seems like the Schlossalmbahn lift is right on the edge of town. My only bugbear on a ski holiday is carrying my skis and walking in boots across town to the lift, or needing to catch the bus in my gear.

1. Do you know if there are some ski lockers at the Schlossalmbahn station for hire? Or are there any lockers or even ski hire shops right next to the lift station which may have lockers?

2. Secondly, I have one friend who is travelling separately from us from Salzburg Airport to Bad Hofgastein. What would be the best way for him to get there? I see that there is a train from Salzburg Hauptbahnhof (central station) direct to Bad Hofgastein. Is the train station in Bad Hofgastein the one behind the ski station, even further out from the town centre?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bad Hofgastein train station did appear to be a bit out of town when we traveled last week, but it's hard to say how much and the map is not clear. I feel it could as well be as the sign on the map that says 2km...

Back to Slazburg airport we used: http://www.rainer-reisen.at/
It was very quick and convenient but they will require 2 persons. It is worth asking as they might be picking up someone else around this time. It was 35E per person one way, slightly cheaper if return trip I think.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmm...digging back into the depths of my memory now, but I think there are lockers at Schlossalmbahn station. Wouldn't bet the ranch on it though.

Re your second question I can help. Yes the OEBB rail station is a bit further out of town and up a bit of a hill, so if your pal is arriving by train, then I would advise a taxi from the station to accommodation as slipppy sliding down the hill (which is a narrowish road and does have traffic due to the station being there) with luggage isn't going to be fun. I wouldn't let that put me off using the train though, the taxi a the end will be about EUR5-7 at the most so still a cheap transfer when combined with the train.

D
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the advice. Oh I see it on the map now, the arrow at the top pointing to Bhf Bad Hofgastein 2km. I thought it was the sign on map square A4 next to building P112 with the austrian railways logo on, I wonder what that is? I can't believe the station is so far out of town!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bum, link me to the map and I'll try and remember what the P112 building is!

D
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Deliaskis, thanks. The map link is the one in the opening post, ie. this one: http://www.gastein.com/mmdb/3/2/1759.pdf

It seems like a very detailed map with load of numbers on it but unfortunately no annotations as to what all the numbers are!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah sorry, forgot there was a link above!

OK, this is weird, because the station I would have called Bad Hofgastein is the one by building P112, and the only reason I remember it is because we were staying up that road at a farm somewhere near where the number 4 is denoting the grid ref. The station there is the one I was referring to above where it's up a bit of a hill and I wouldn't fancy arriving there with luggage and slipping all the way down amongst traffic etc.

So I don't know what the one 2km away is, or if in fact that should say 'Dorfgastein' station 2km away.

Am investigating as I don't like a map that doesn't make sense!

D

PS not saying the map is wrong, it's probably me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah strange, the railway in the valley is called the Tauernbahn, and there is a stop on it called Bad Hofgastein, and also one called Bad Hofgastein Haltestelle. It also looks like the Bad Hofgastein Haltestelle one is no longer operating, and this is the one near building P112 that I was aware of.

So it is the one 2km out of town (backed on on Austrian rail website here http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/dn?ld=web05&seqnr=1&ident=ad.031133166.1297160695&OK#focus - click Karte and then tick the first box and drag the map 2km upwards!), in which case, definitely a taxi.

D
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for looking that up Deliaskis, a few other websites also seem to point to the one 2km away.

It just seemed quite illogical to put your town's train station in the middle of nowhere, but I guess that's what they've done. Maybe it's to help the taxi industry stay in profit!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Tauernbahn has a website which confirms that Bad Hofgastein Haltestelle is no longer open for passenger traffic: http://www.tauernbahn.at/de/index.php?section=halte&artikel=15 (bad translation: Single track station with two platforms edge! Since 2005, no persons more!). The Bad Hofgastein stop is actually in Breitenberg, about 3km north of Bad Hofgastein.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bum, it does, but I think it happens in some alpine places because of the slightly impractical location of some of the lines and stations. The old BHG Haltestelle station was up a steep icy hill and I guess for a 'main' station it was not very good for access. You'll see when you go to the Gastein valley that the railway line is a gradual incline up to the tunnel, but some of the time that means it's halfway up the mountain, and sometimes it's at valley level.

D
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bum, Deliaskis is right about the railway station. The old station is closed and the station is now down the valley. I'm sure the buses pick up from there but just take a taxi.

The Intersport Fleiss ski shop is at the bottom of the Schlossalmbahn (here's the info: www.skigastein.com/en/winter/skigebiet/info/skiverleih) - there is another but I forget the name. I'm afraid I don't know if there are lockers but I expect so.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Kersh
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The station is a way out of town,you will need a taxi ( expensive) as it is down a main road.
There are lockers at the valley station.
The train is direct to Gastein valley but bear in mind that Salzburg station is dug up at the mo.
It is a bit of a pain finding your way around but ok once you get your bearings.
It is a lovely train ride,check it out on the obb website.
On the slopes make sure you do the long 'wilde abfahrt' from top to bottom......it's great and not difficult.
Also Sportgastein is fantastic even though it takes a long time to get up there.
Have fun....... Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bum, I was in Bad Hofgastein last year and can confirm there are lockers, either at the lift station or at the hire shop right next door to the lift station (which I used and was reasonable price - cheaper than the lift station I seem to remember). It's close to the bus stop too so you can collect your skis and boots and then get on the bus for Dorfgastein, Sportgastein or Angertal which is between HofGastein and Bad Gastein and where some of the lessons tend to start from.

It's definitely not the ultimate in ski convenience but I think worth the (fairly minimal) effort and would definitely recommend. Have a great time.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you very much everybody for your help, I look forward to going there. It's always great to hear from people who have personally been there recently. There's only a limited amount I can figure out from the tourist website!

One more question (don't know if this is the right part of the forum to ask) -

Does anyone have any recommendation of an English speaking ski instructor who might be out in Bad Hofgastein/ Gastein valley in the week 12th - 18th March?
ski holidays
I have skied Badhofgastein more than once, it is an attractive village and there is extensive skiing there and at the other places which have been mentioned, but ski convenience is its big drawback. At busy times, what with the need to take a bus, then queue for the cable car, and another couple of lifts, it can be an hour from leaving your hotel to starting to ski. But if you use the lockers yes, the bus trip is less of a bind.
ski holidays
bum, you will find that nearly all the local instructors have an excellent level of English. Just go to the nearest accredited ski school. A lot of native speakers are employed any way by the local ski schools especially to work with the lower levels. If you want to teach higher levels you need to be able to teach in English as well as your native and or German.

To get the best out of your holiday always choose a local over a seasonaire to be honest. They know more about where is best to ski to suit your needs and level as well as local conditions.
latest report
bum, I'd recommend Reinhold Tschernutter who's part of the Schnee Sport Schule Gastein (www.schneesportgastein.com). I had 1 to 1 advanced carving lessons with him about 3 years ago and he was great. He was so good I kept the receipt for the lesson so I don't forget his name! wink Really nice chap but he does push you hard. The only thing was he was working out of the Bad Gastein school but i'm sure if you request him, he'll meet you in Hofgastein.

Have fun.

Cheers
Kersh
latest report
bum, I also had a good experience with 1 to 1 lesson from Schnee Sport Schule Gastein and met the instructor at Angertal. I just asked for an English speaking instructor and got one whose English and instruction was excellent.
ski holidays
Thanks all for your quick replies. Looks like SchneeSport Schule Gastein is well recommended, I'd best give them a go, and I'll see if I can find Herr Tschernutter too! Cheers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy