Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best ski book for begginer/intermediate?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys

Ok so im going to switzerland in a week- and france in a month. Really gotta get working on my dry slope skills! Im on the dry slope level 5/7 atm- so learning to turn parallel! Its coming.....slowly! Need more lessons i guess!

Im a bit of a nerd and like the understand the technique and theory behind things- this will really help me i think.

Can anyone reccomend any good books on the subject? Is there a "ski bible" that will take me from begginer -->advanced in one book?

There seem to be a few online guides but they are all expensive DVDs Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mine? Twisted Evil (Just kidding... it's not really a technique book, although you'd learn a fair amount from it...)

I highly recommend Weems Westfeldt's book Brilliant Skiing Every Day (http://edgechange.com/) and Ron LeMaster's Ultimate Skiing (http://ronlemaster.com/). Ron's is highly technical while Weems' helps you remember why you ski in the context of giving you amazing skiing insights plus an outstanding model for self-coaching.

All three are very modern works, and definitely worth the investment. Of course, all of us are Yanks, so you'll have to be willing to accept that... Both Ron's book and mine are available from Amazon.co.uk, but Weems' you need to get directly from him. Let him know I sent you and he may even autograph it for you! snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks a lot ssh- tell me more about your book...??

Bought Rons already Smile

Pity Weems is so tricky to get hold of :S Is it worth the extra for the dvd??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also ssh- how does Weems content and detail compare to this site?

http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/Ski_Instruction_DVD_Video.html

Which does seem to be well rated.......

I know hes your Weems is your friend but im sure your objective Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
billy_boy_2010,

Not a book, however I've bought some instruction DVDs from www.yourskicoach.com

I like the approach and the author Rick is a regular contributor (Fastman) on snowheads. His approach is to build your basic skills (balance, edging, angulation, transistions etc) progressively to an expert level. A bit of a tall order when it comes to my skiing however Very Happy

I can't comment on the effectiveness as I have only just received them and only done a few drills to date. I am sure that there are others on snowheads who could give you a more informed opinion though.

Take a look at the website and see if it suits you (by the way, I have no vested interest in this).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fastman (Rick Schnellman) is an excellent source for great information (and super drills), but he has DVDs, not a book, which is why I recommended Weems' and Ron's books. Ron's should give you a lot to go on! I also own Rick's DVDs, and highly recommend them (and the available "cheat sheets" to carry to the piste with you).

Weems' DVD is really a compliment to the book, but isn't the book in DVD form. Weems' new (revised) Brilliant Skiing is outstanding, and I can't recommend it highly enough. Weems is more a hero of mine than just a friend, and I count myself blessed to have skied with him and learned from him. His holistic approach to skiing means you get more than the sum of the parts.

I have also been watching Sean Wagman's Images & Concepts Going South http://www.arc2arc.com/Default.aspx?RD=5673 the past couple of days, and the images of Michael Rogan and Robin Barnes are amazing in their ability to help me feel the skiing.

All these people are friends... Cool so no bias there.

My book combines equipment, technique, conditions, and terrain with the lessons for life that we learn from skiing. A few folks here on snowHead have a copy, including FrostyTheSnowman, who also won a day of teaching. I taught at the EoSB '07, and folks around here can give you their impression of that experience (a few recent comments on this season's EoSB thread).

What is it that you think you are missing from Ron's book? Seems that it has all that you'd need...?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 8-02-11 3:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You misunderstand ssh- i bought Rons book after your recomendation as it was so easy to get! Smile

I think i will get Weem's book/DVD too- just to give myself a really round opinion Smile

Which is more useful- Weems book, or his DVD? I probably wont get both if they over lap somewhat......im guessing his book will have more info??

Thanks man- your so lucky to ski! I have only just discovered it, at the age of 27! Im making up for it not though Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
billy_boy_2010, if you only get one of Weems' items, get the book. The DVD is great, but is really a compliment to the book as opposed to having the content of the book. It's likely that he'll update the DVD in the next year or so, too, since he just revised and expanded the book.

Ron's book will give you the core technical insights, as well. You'll be in great shape!

What issues are you having getting Weems' book? Use IE if you're having online purchase issues.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
billy_boy_2010, I'd strongly recommend Rick Schnellman's DVDs - the "basic balance" and "basic edging" ones, as a complement to any books because the demos are very clear and build up your skills.

And get some recommendations for tuition in resort, too - makes such a huge difference having the right instructor and if you are keen on very technical explanations you might not find you always get them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I bought stacks of books in the past but if I had to save just one from the wife's spring clean it would be "The all mountain skier" by R Mark Elling, a great read that covers not only technique but also how buying the wrong gear can hold you back! Read reviews on this.
For a graphical quick fix Go ski by Warren Smith is good for understanding basic core techniques also includes a good easy going DVD for around a tenner!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Piste-John-Godber/dp/0856761281/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297204995&sr=8-2&tag=amz07b-21
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Piste-Again-Guide-Survival-Skiing/dp/0356078841/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1297204995&sr=8-5&tag=amz07b-21
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Another-Long-Day-Piste-Season/dp/0349119341/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297204995&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21

For anything else take skiing lessons.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy