Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

F*CK PISTES - short film from Mayrhofen

Poster: A snowHead
I made this short film with clips that my friend and I took on a recent trip.

Please follow the link to youtube so that you can watch the video in 720p HD.

http://youtube.com/v/pbHYIQNeBsA

This video is called "F*CK PISTES" and it was filmed in Mayrhofen, Austria.
I strongly suggest that you watch it in glorious 720p HD, otherwise a lot of the shots simply don't look as good.

As always, constructive criticism is welcomed, but you should probably watch it through twice before you make your judgement.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 6-02-11 0:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
only watched it once

maybe mastering on piste befor f$^&'ing them may be a good plan
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your mate looked better skiing on piste
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most of that was on piste, or at least so heavily skied it may as well have been Confused
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would have thought that the level of skiing would be a little better than the name conveyed. Is English your second language?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GeorgeJ, looks like you and your friend had a good time venturing off piste for the first time.

I assume the title is exuberance from the experience and enthusiasm for doing loads more? To that end, daehwons might have a point about mastering on piste more to get the most out of your future off piste jaunts.

Keep having fun.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like you enjoyed yourselves.

Some of the edits were a bit quick for me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for posting and being brave enough to invite critique Very Happy welcome to snowHead 's

Toofy Grin you could probably save a great deal on baggage weight by leaving the front 1/3rd of your skis at home Toofy Grin

Sorry Very Happy I will be a little better behaved and say that a lot of the time your weight is well back on the skis and the tips are not engaged, this is why a lot of your turns are very 'skiddy' and why you keep loosing the skis from under you.

The main culprit for this is a lack of ankle flex, meaning when you bend your knees you end up 'sitting on the kazi' Freeze frame at 2:15 (or watch the sequence from 0:0:22 -00:25) and you will see that all you need is a toilet roll holder on your pack, this is why you 'wipe out' seconds later at 2:17 but once you have looked at those go back and you will see that both of you are 'in the backseat' more or less all the time.

If you watch your footage you will see that the 'snow plume' from your edge engagement is almost always well back on the ski and often behind the boot showing that you are not getting any weight forward. If you watch your ski tips you will see that they are off the snow on many of the turns.

Because of this are not able use the shape of the ski to turn you and you are having to skid the tail of the ski to get the turn. this means that instead of nice 'c' shaped controlled turns you are making a series of 'z' shaped turns with very little engagement of the ski and very little control of the turn

You must both have huge upper leg strength and stamina as I was aching just watching, as skiing so far back is very tiring and probably requires you to drink copious quantities of 'muscle relaxant' every evening. Very Happy If you can both improve your posture you will be able to ski longer and harder.

A secondary issue (for now) is that you have little or no obvious pressure control through your turns so when you do get some engagement you are not absorbing the increasing pressure of the skis under you as you turn, again causing the ski to start skidding rather than staying engaged, again this comes from your poor posture.

As flowa, says you look like you are enjoying your skiing Smile and if you have the enthusiasm then a bit of time spent on the greens and blues mastering some basic posture and edge control will let you turn your skiing up to another level on the more challenging terrain. I would suggest a couple of 1 -1 coaching sessions with an instructor if you can afford that, and then have you and your mate video each other skiing and watch it back looking out for the points mentioned above.

I’m sure a 'grown up instructor' will be along shortly.

Edit oops just watched your other vid and realised that you prob wanted feedback on your vid not your 'bathroom stance' sorry.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was very very good and said nothing about your inner tip lead Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
learn to use your poles too, or you'll never master o/p Confused
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Enjoyed that, well done. Great place and the snow looked good.

Now we can get that skiing up a level or two so you get more out of the terrain and next years film will have even better ski shots. Look us up www.Alpinecoaching.com Very Happy

PSG
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like you had a great holiday
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You should not be allowed off piste.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have no comments on technique as I am in no position to do so or have the experience to!

I enjoyed watching your film; reminds me of the runs I did (including one or two bits of the off piste - the ones literally next to piste! which I had a go at for the first time). Found myself going "ooh, recognise that, did that one, that was cool" haha. Wasn't boring to watch and not too long Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kevindonkleywood, how was your BASI 1 course? wink
snow conditions
Thanks FiFi_Trixibell,

it is meant to be a bit of fun after all. I have made videos before that have turned out a bit too long and boring, so I am really glad that you found this one entertaining!

I except the comments about less-than-perfect technique, at least it means the editing style and music choice have gone down fairly well!

My friend in the red jacket was in his 3rd week of skiing and I had him skiing reds, blacks and a bit of off-piste, which is quite good I think. I am not trying to pretend that he is a pro, the clips of his wipe-outs are there for your amusement! I was using quite narrow carvers so I had to lean back when skiing off-piste to get my tips up, and again I am not pretending to be highly experienced. You don't see much of me skiing on piste in this video, but rest assured I don't sit in the back seat all the time! I ski quite fast and confidently on piste, so I am trying to push myself and have a go at more adventurous stuff.

So, our technique will improve with experience but it is really video-related advice that I'm looking for. If you just think the video is quite fun then I would love to know.
snow report
clarky999, very good Toofy Grin I now have my first Macdonalds star on my badge Very Happy

The more you know the more you realise you dont know (if that makes sense)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 6-02-11 15:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
GeorgeJ, glad you are having fun and enjoying your skiing; keep doing it; keep learning.

I am a little concerned about your level of control - which is different to level of confidence. Anyway, what I will be really impressed by is your skiing being slow and confident on piste...I am still working on those smooth linked turns on blues, where I am almost stationary...which translate into smooth controlled descents on steep blacks and especially on variable steep narrow rock strewn off piste like I was in last month.

The snow was alternating from windblown stashes to windslab with breakable crust...very entertaining...with changes throughout the turns...
snow report
lampbus, Just how far dangerously west of newcastle are you?
snow conditions
kevindonkleywood, Very.

In fact, a little bit further this side of Newcastle than it is possible to go the other side without getting wet.
But not as far as Hexham.
ski holidays
lampbus, My head hurts Very Happy im sure i will figure it out, nice curry house though
snow report
Quote:

I was using quite narrow carvers so I had to lean back when skiing off-piste to get my tips up

Interesting.
snow report
Mike Pow,
Quote:

Some of the edits were a bit quick for me.
Me too, I'm afraid - made me feel slightly queasy.
latest report
kevindonkleywood wrote:
Quote:

I was using quite narrow carvers so I had to lean back when skiing off-piste to get my tips up

Interesting.

I thought that too - (Dangerous things these thoughts)

The tips up thing is very subtle - because even in deep powder you need them in there - it is the tips that do the turning in effortless skiing, not the tails (although I have played with pushing out the tails on some pitches, forming a sortov platform in the snow, and then 'faling' off it to initiate the next turn. Still had a good ball-of-foot balance though)

I think GeorgeJ, you need to be thinking much more about even weighting your skis, and working them together as a unit - too often in your vid your skis are doing separate things and you are muscling them round the turns - which is of course 'easier' as you are just riding the tails and the tips are flapping in air.

Narrow skis are fine in the sort of stuff you are shown in here - fresh, and chopped up fresh no problem. There did seem to be one part in the vid that had fresh over mougls - now that can be a challenge...especially in flat light...
snow conditions
geoffers wrote:
learn to use your poles too, or you'll never master o/p Confused

^1986?
snow conditions
parlour said
Quote:

^1986?

Nope - Warren Smith: Niseko Powder Camp - Feb 2010 Blush
0:58 secs in....

http://youtube.com/v/k5AThnhny7o
ski holidays
geoffers, Wazza is the '90s. I stand corrected.
snow report
Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geoffers, looking good and I'm totally jealous of the trip! Could work on getting those tips up a bit wink Still heaps more height with your heels than I can get though.
ski holidays
GeorgeJ, looks like you had a good time making a video. The overall pace is good and goes with your choice of music.

My suggestions are:
- watch your jump cuts
- don't overuse toys (speeding up &/or slowing down action, cross fades, etc...), less is more
- keep the subject centered in shot
- have a steadier hand when shooting
- don't pan too quickly
- if you're going to use footage that is jerky, like the shot of the sign at .29', you can always use a still from your footage and push in using your edit software rather than have the shaky camera work on display.

Keep having fun.
snow conditions
I only watched in 360p, so maybe it lost some of the grandeur that is the Austrian Alps. I can only cross my fingers and hope we have snow conditions like you had. Otherwise I might have an explitive laced you tube video...
latest report
flowa wrote:
GeorgeJ, looks like you had a good time making a video. The overall pace is good and goes with your choice of music.

My suggestions are:
- watch your jump cuts
- don't overuse toys (speeding up &/or slowing down action, cross fades, etc...), less is more
- keep the subject centered in shot
- have a steadier hand when shooting
- don't pan too quickly
- if you're going to use footage that is jerky, like the shot of the sign at .29', you can always use a still from your footage and push in using your edit software rather than have the shaky camera work on display.

Keep having fun.

agreed

also, when shooting scenery give your self some editable shots, film at least 3 seconds either side of the pan shot that is still

If you want something like a sign you should steady it as much as you can(think about using a tripod) but you can edit and slow down the shot if you have used a higher frame rate.

As with the skiing, practice and learning work. Start to veiw programs on TV for the way they edit cuts/fades and pay attention to timing (eg, 2 scenery pan shots of 3 seconds with a 2 second close up of snow then the skiing), watch many different type like top gear, nature programs, travel chanel etc.

Try to edit in your head while filming - If you take a video from the top of a slope looking down try and film the same slope from the bottom or side and then you can cut it together later and it looks like multiple camera angles
snow report
My advice on film editing, if you think that a clip is even only slightly worse than you'd hoped, get rid of it. To everyone else it looks even worse. Also, slow mo is pointless unless you have a camera with a decent frame rate unless it's really something special which again, whilst you might think it is, people that don't know the context will most likely just think its sh*t. Looking back on videos I made a few years back, they really are quite terrible but at the time, I didn't think they were too bad.
snow conditions
I've only just started trying to edit video and can appreciate how very, very, difficult it is. Flowa's advice seems spot on.
latest report
Just one other thought - using four letter words doesn't make a ropey video better. wink
snow report
at least we didn't have to watch 1min of you putting your gloves on and faffing with poles at the beginning so already 100x better then most helmet cam footage
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Just one other thought - using four letter words doesn't make a ropey video better. wink

Glad you said that. I would have been called a grumpy old git.
ski holidays
GeorgeJ, When you said 'I had him skiing reds and blacks' are you the one teaching him?
snow report
Chattonmill, That was the impression I had

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 7-02-11 16:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I actually quite enjoyed the video. It shows fairly normal people with limited skill just having a good time on a slope. Half my friends fit into this category. It's a bit like the M&S adverts a few years ago showing normal (fat) people advertising clothes. I realise those adverts were a bit flop, though!

And I agree, having a four letter expletive in the title doesn't make me immediately warm to it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy