Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with choosing pocket video camera

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am going on my first skiing trip in March to Borovets Bulgaria which i am very much looking forward too.

Im wanting to do some filming out there especially while skiing down the slopes.
I like the look of the kodak play sport camera beacuse it films HD aswell. I was wondering if any of you guys use this camera or other cameras you can recommend and whats the best way to mount them on to your head. One way i have seen is a helmet clamp . mounted on to your helmet but i will be wearing a normal skiing hat so i saw a head strap which contains the camera mount but was wondering because the mounting hole for the kodak play sport is at the bottom and once fitted the camera is standing up right and not too sure if it would just fall to one side forwards or backwards as it is mounted height ways.

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

cheers dan

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 4-02-11 20:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes, being an upright style camera its not great for that mounting

The gopro might be better but more expensive
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Contour HD for us, just over £180 with a whole lot og goodies like helmet mount, goggle strap adapter polorizing filter, extra battery
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got a Kodak Zi8, which I have in a case attached to my rucksack strap (at shoulder level) which works OK
Great results with this cam - £60 off eBay Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
whwrre abouts did you get the contour from looks good especially with the goggle fitting
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
this thread may be of interest... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=71792&highlight=
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Contour was an ebay purchase from these guys http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RageCams-Wholesale-Outlet fast delivery and trouble free, very nice new camera I think I'll struggle to get away from my ski mad, camera mad middle daughter!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
be careful not to get dragged into to taking video all the time. had a camera with a non sh the week before last and he has 47gb of footage from 1 camera. enjoy the skiing and get some footage when you can and its going to be good.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep ansta1, that will be Emilys approach I'm sure, 2 8GB cards and a 250 GB portable HDD to go with the Dell Mini 9 hackintosh should keep her entertained.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
indeed. typically each 15 minutes of footage is about 1gb of data if encoded in h.264 which is pretty standard.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dan_R, I have the playsport and have just come back from Bad Hofgastein where I filmed with it just above my ski boot. I attached it there with an armband strap used for smartphones.
I will upload it to youtube/vimeo and give you the link (this will take some time to upload), as i got the lens angle right this time.

It was only my second time using it, the first was a few weeks ago in Banff as an experiment and it was looking at my tips or snow almost all the time or my baggy pants came over the lens as I had it just under my kneecap so it pointed down when flexed, but you can see the sound and picture quality is good.

I used a 16GB class 10 SD card and it gives 3 hrs and 20 mins footage at 720p 60fps.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bump
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dan_R wrote:
bump

2 whole posts and a bump

All the info you require is in the thread or..... google... or TGR

Please post links to video taken with whatever camera you buy so we can provide other noob posters with up to date information about quality, thanks bye
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I took a PlaySport Zx3 to Borovets last year. I found a helmet mount which I strapped to my helmet with velcro. It worked fine except I felt a right plonker with it sticking up like a teletubby tv aerial above my head. I tried it in some iphone holders on my upper arm but that was useless. I ended up using it handheld sometimes as well.

A wide angle lens is an absolute must. I found one that fixes magnetically. The only thing is that it could so with the lens being on a lanyard fixed to the camera in case of a fall. I am trying to fashion a method for this before I go again. The option above the boot is interesting so I might try that as well.

Quality is good with sometimes better results in 720p 60fps that 1080p. I have some videos up on YouTube. Look for my user - pigbite -, or search for Alpin Borovets in YouTube. If you can't find them then let me know and I'll post links.

When are you going in March? We are back from the 4th this year again.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Doh - sorry - should look at the dates! You've been....

That's what google searches for Zx3 accessories does for ya!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy