Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going on the piste can prove very expensive

Poster: A snowHead
Going on the piste can prove very expensive
There are frighteningly high hidden costs associated with having a skiing accident, warn injury expert solicitors

Skiers and snowboarders could find themselves broke in more ways than one if they ski into somebody on the slopes, warned solicitors Russell Jones & Walker today.

Earlier this year Virgin tycoon Richard Branson severely damaged his knee when a teenager collided with him in a skiing accident in Switzerland. Branson said on his blog: “I was run into by a teenager while skiing on New Year's Day and completely ruptured my anterior cruciate ligament. I had an operation within 24 hours.”

Branson hasn’t revealed if he intends to pursue the teenager for damages, but solicitors are warning skiers to make themselves familiar with the Fédération Internationale de Ski (FIS) Skiers Code as it clearly states: “A skier or snowboarder coming from behind must choose his route in such a way that he does not endanger skiers or snowboarders ahead.”

Skiing is a high risk sport, as is snowboarding, and recent research for the National Ski Areas Association in America found that skiers are less likely to have accidents on the pistes than snowboarders - but are more likely to suffer a fatal injury.

In a recent poll by travel add-ons company HolidayExtras.com, it revealed that 47 per cent of travellers think that skiers should be required by law to wear a helmet. A reckless 21 per cent of men said they thought that wearing a helmet should remain optional, compared with just six per cent of women.

Paul Kitson, personal injury lawyer and managing partner at law firm Russell Jones and Walker, handles many cases of skiing accidents every year. He explained: “If you’re struck from behind by a skier and you suffer injuries as a result, you probably have a claim against them as priority is always given to the downhill skier.”

Cost of damages varies situation to situation but some example damages from leg and arm injuries are:

Arms
Severe injury £63,000 to £86,000
Injuries resulting in permanent and substantial disablement £25,750 to £39,300
Less severe injury £12,000 to £25,000
Simple fractures of the forearm £4,000 to £12,000

Legs
Amputation above the knee £63,000 to £92,000
Amputation below the knee £60,000 to £86,000
Severe injury £18,000 to £89,000
Incomplete recovery £11,000 to £18,000
Simple fractures of the femur (thigh bone) £6,000 to £9,000
Simple fractures of the tibia and fibula (lower leg) up to £6,000

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 4-02-11 17:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kimberley, A cheerful first post. Can I order the amputation above the knee please - seems like a good deal.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought she was going to talk about the cost of a pint!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The above is mostly lawyer's press release trash (especially the helmet fearmongering) but getting people to respect the downhill skier is critical even if it takes one or two perpetrators lives being ruined by law firms to get us there. It's not just on this forum that I've read blue run heroes moaning about downhill skiers stopped or awkwardly placed whereby they've had collisions or just narrowly avoided them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
'blue run heroes'........ha-ha!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moffatross wrote:
The above is mostly lawyer's press release

In fact it's entirely a press release - I received it earlier. From a certain Kimberley Nanson, Account Manager, Lucre PR www.lucre.co.uk
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller, perhaps Kimberly could have an introductory BOGOF offer so you could pick from a variety of free 'serious injuries' to go with your above knee amputation? I might hold off till eye injuries are included in the package.

kimberley, welcome to snowHead with that somewhat macabre first post.

EDIT: on second thoughts rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sure that isn't filthy lucre pr
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kimberley wrote:
A reckless 21 per cent of men said ......

Completely unbiased reporting then? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
maggi, yes, it's knee-jerk tosh. Trouble is, the press print it verbatum and it becomes "fact".

Anyway, for a bit of natural balance, the best ski injury lawyers by reputation are Irwin Mitchell www.irwinmitchell.com
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Problem is finding out who the person who crashed into you is, especially if they make a quick getaway, and then proving who was liable.

Have to say if anyone broke the code and injured me I'd try and sue them for every damned penny I could ... if I could prove it! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:
In fact it's entirely a press release - I received it earlier. From a certain Kimberley Nanson, Account Manager, Lucre PR www.lucre.co.uk

Aww nice try, and thanks for playing Kimberley. Didn't she do well ladies and gentlemen *light applause*
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kimberley wrote:
In a recent poll by travel add-ons company HolidayExtras.com, it revealed that 47 per cent of travellers think that skiers should be required by law to wear a helmet. A reckless 21 per cent of men said they thought that wearing a helmet should remain optional, compared with just six per cent of women.

i am not very good at sums but how does this add up Puzzled

aside from that, lawyers advertising (even if through a PR firm) by spamming ski forums seems a bit shabby to me. maybe i'm old fashioned...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone reckon they'll be a follow up "Have YOU been hurt or injured by someone on the slopes this year? We have a team of crack former-double glazing salemen on standby to take your call and really inflate the amount of settlement money that YOU ARE INTITLED TO"
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
in my local hospital a PR girl uses rubber gloves and KY jelly - she still comes out with the same stuff as kimberleys post though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
roga wrote:
Have to say if anyone broke the code and injured me I'd try and sue them for every damned penny I could ... if I could prove it! Evil or Very Mad

Or leave a large pole sized crater in their face where their nose used to be.
ski holidays
Anyone want to pass this thread back to ambulance chasers extraordinare, Russell Jones & Walker. Let 'em see how well their PR cash is being spent.
latest report
Well I think the thread should stand as the OP themselves hasn't plugged their company's offerings - the fact that someone else had made the link isn't their fault I guess. However, maybe it would have been best if they had said 'Hi folks, I'm new here and a professional in the legal industry - I wondered if this press release would be of interest to you: - press release to follow:'. Still no company plugging, but it might have been far better received.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 4-02-11 22:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Has anyone read the page about Skiing on,Russell Jones Walker spam,

link removed for google ranking

I will abstain from comments about the factual content on their site, but maybe the statement, that "Stunning scenery and exhilarating exercise lures thousands to ski resorts worldwide"

Maybe an a good starting point for their market research is that they understand the size of the skiing and winter sports industry, and why many of us actually go skiing in the first place.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 4-02-11 23:05; edited 3 times in total
snow report
Megamum, its her job, clumsily done rolling eyes
snow report
Straight spam.
snow conditions
Looks like the ambulance chasers have found skiing
snow conditions
in reply to pm.....pr = per rectum (bottom mining) Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

its her job, clumsily done

+1. It's a larf to think you can be "reckless" even if you wear a helmet, unless you think they should be made compulsory. Guess that makes me "reckless" - first time I've ever come close!

might change my name to wreckless. snowHead
ski holidays
Lol sensationalist reporting trying to spin a story from limited info on Branson. I'm sure wearing a helmet would mitigate all the costs listed rolling eyes Skiing on piste is hardly a 'high risk activity'.

If the ambulance chasers have indeed found skiing it will just lead to more skiers skiing off after a collision since it's not like we have numberplates on our backsides. The parallels between the roads and piste skiing are scary though with talk of speed traps, how long before we also need 3rd party insurance Puzzled Some say they come to the mountains for a feeling of freedom ha ha ha.
snow report
lucre spoo how could you take a PR agency, who came up with such a crap name, seriously?
latest report
Complete, utter, unnecessary spam which has no place on this board, IMO.
latest report
Colin B, Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spam +1
snow report
Are they now suggesting we wear helmets on our knees?
snow report
I'm going to see spamalot in Plymouth tomorrow Toofy Grin
latest report
kimberley, It doesn't look as though you have done yourself any favours here - how about coming clean and posting a response to all this? It looks like a little damage limitation might be in order and at least it would demonstrate some degree of guts to do so. Mind you, it might be worth donning a helmet first wink
ski holidays
I wear a helmet when both skiing and cycling, but I always find it ridiculous that poeple who don't (in either sport), are often described as reckless, or irresponsible.

If someone is killed, and they're not wearing a helmet, they're often made out to be partly to blame, no matter what the circumstances. It's totally ridiculous.

The leading cause of death in car crashes is head injury, but there's never been the slightest suggestion of wearing helmets in cars!
latest report
Megamum wrote:
Well I think the thread should stand as the OP themselves hasn't plugged their company's offerings - the fact that someone else had made the link isn't their fault I guess.

That's very generous IMO.I feel that the intent is clear,and very dubious in my view.It could well be the case that the 'injury chasing lawyers' are searching for their next pot of gold,and are dipping a tentative toe into snow sports.Sow the seed and all that.Yes,if you are injured by some muppet ,you have the right to recompense.But how long before snow sites,travel ads etc are smothered with compensation ads? How long before your lift pass,flight ticket whatever carries the same? Never say never!
The good news....they have been rumbled....and now they know it.Good riddance Mad
ski holidays
snowskisnow, if you needed a lawyer for a ski injury, chances are you'd go to Google and tap in "ski injury lawyer" or similar. If you do that very search this thread comes in on page one position seven! Already - in five hours! Give it a day or so and it'll be top three or better and ironically that would be above the aforementioned lawyer's own site. So there's a natural balance to these things.

shoneyman, yes I know, 35 years of no helmet-wearing including several full seasons and I'm sometimes told I'm crazy. Anyway, welcome everyone to a new helmet thread!
snow report
An I one of the 21% reckless then? I wear a helmet, but I will NEVER NEVER NEVER insist that is it compulsory.

'effn lawyers and their ambulance chasing: made the H&S boys a mint, and this country the mess it is. Personal responsibility? Risk Assessment? Acceptance of consequences? - what was all that then?

"Where there's pain there's blame", that's the new mantra. Makes me sick. I should probably sue...

Have I said I can't stand them?

Mods - please delete this thread, before someone takes these muppets seriously.
snow report
Bode Swiller, just changed my post above sorry the link did not help, have linked them to spam now, maybe they will go down the rankings a little Shocked
ski holidays
Bode Swiller,
Quote:

Anyway, for a bit of natural balance, the best ski injury lawyers by reputation are Irwin Mitchell www.irwinmitchell.com

Oh I have just seen why your quote above is so high in the google rankings Laughing
latest report
Arno, assuming there were only two options (helmets to be compulsory, helmets to remain optional) then we have to deduce that the subset "travellers" has a more liberal attitude to the wearing of helmets than the generality of "men and women."

Alternatively, there was a single constituency of travellers, that was subdivided into men and women, but they had three options: helmets to be compulsory, helmets to be optional, and helmets to be prohibited. In this scenario about 40% of them must have thought helmets should be banned. wink

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 4-02-11 23:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Great ! The 'injury lawyers' have cottoned on to snowsports as a potential cash cow......it can only mean 1 thing for certain, higher insurance premiums for winter sports cover....terrific! where's that renewal form quick Crying or Very sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy