Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most snow in Europe?

Poster: A snowHead
Most snow in Europe? perhaps Röldal Norway Very Happy
This resort is famous because there is coming alot of snow every year, its near the sea, and for scandinavia, high level, and there is powder, got a mail from a friend that tell me, that snowdeep now is 270cm and the weatherreports says it will coming more the next 9days, about 1m, fly to Stavanger, Haugesund or Bergen, hire a car, or take the bus, but think about that Norwegian roads take longer time to drive than in other places, for more info, U can send a PM to me,
http://www.roldal.com/sider/tekst.asp?side=78
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The skiing in Røldal is above the tree line which makes it very exposed. The area is also small so there is no way to find a sheltered area when the wind is blasting. I was there again last weekend and on Saturday the wind was nearly gale force, 20m/s, and it was pretty unpleasant most of the time Sad . When the sun finally did pop out late in the afternoon and the wind dropped a bit it was nice to see where you were going for a change. Sunday was almost calm and clear and the cross-country skiing down in the valley was great Smile . More snow and a moderate breeze forecast for this weekend but I won't be up there this time. Maybe Sirdal on Sunday....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sierra nevada in eastern Spain is current reporting 500cm on ceefax and that seems to be born out here as well:

http://www.skiinfo.com/Snowreport/SierraNevada-EESSIERRANE-100-en.jhtml

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 5-02-11 10:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some of those gullies on Cairngorm will have more than 500cm
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MontriondSkier, Yes U have right, Röldal is exposed for the wind, but if U wait to go there, and com back in end of mars, april and beginning of may, it will be a different, just to look on the map for the slops is not make Röldal interresting, no, it the oppertunity to climb with skins, with AT or Telemark,, but as u say february can be like hell up there, ,, Have U try nearby folgefonna glacier summerski station? the only maritime glacier on the europen continent, the coast line beetween Bergen and Stavanger have the most rain in all europe per year, and the mountain is near, so its fell snow on just a little higher level,, 2 seasons ago when they open the skistation on the glacier in mid may the snowdeep was 12m Puzzled yes its true, it was exeptionel, but normal in may on the glacier is 8-10m, its not the best sommerskicenter in norway if you not are a jibber,, but they have most snow Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Sierra nevada in western Spain

Peter S, Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Last time I was in Sierra Nevada it was in the southeast spain wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Some of those gullies on Cairngorm will have more than 500cm

Bode Swiller, What is the braun I see in the weebcam from there? wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
freeheelskier, Scottish skiing is very different to the Alps takes place generally on drifted snow in natural snowholding gullies so you can have an area of rock or a brown heathery hillock in one place and 500cm or more of snow in the naturally occuring snowholding gullies not far away. As a result Alpine style snow depth measurements can be very misleading for Scotland where you'll have metres of snow in some places and milimetres in others after many storms as is the case right now after the last 48 hours of heavy snow and high winds.

I'd bet the snow depth in places is much higher than 500cm to be honest so don't be fooled by patchy areas. Bode Swiller I reckon it'll be way deeper on the upper mountain at Glencoe than at Cairngorm though, they've had seriously big precipitation over there and the upper mountain gullies catch it big time in a way that Cairngorm generally doesn't. Warm front passing over right now though so we've gone snow to rain but snow and lots of it returning later snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Scottish skiing is very different

roga, I know, I just try to be funny withBode Swiller, Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yup, I thought you might Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
roga, No funny in france now, I have today decide to not go to Meribel this weekend, better to stay home and work so I save my money for a bigger project in 4 weeks
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is it that bad freeheelskier? I thought the Dolomites were okay at the moment?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
roga, French alpes is very bad, no new snow for many weeks, and zerolimit on 3100m this weekend, it to far for me to the dolomites just for a weekend, and Pyreenes to,, have a work to do next week that must be finnish before next friday,, Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
freeheelskier wrote:
I know, I just try to be funny with Bode Swiller, Laughing
the day you make me laugh is the day I watch you ski.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Sorry to hear it's so bad, hopefully a dump of snow will happen in the not too distant future, if it stays bad and we get some more dumps you can always visit us in Scotland later in the season ... at least once these winds die down wink

Mind you your definition of bad might be different to the seasoned Scottish skiers definition of bad Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 4-02-11 18:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Bode Swiller, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Quote:

you can always visit us in Scotland

U can be sure I will Very Happy
snow report
I have a French friend who lives in the Portes de Soleil area and has been over to Scotland to ski, tour and walk/climb quite a few times - last season he travelled over in March and when he was on the transfer to Geneva and told the English holidaymakers on the transfer minibus he was travelling to Scotland to ski they were a bit surprised to say the least (gobsmacked would be a good word if you know that one) and thought he was joking - we had a good laugh when he told us the story! Laughing
snow conditions
I can imagine Very Happy , But fore sure, I realy want to ski in scottland, Ive been there for hiking in summertime, and its a wonderfull country,, good whisky, nice people I think Bode Swiller, not is Scottish wink
snow conditions
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but once again, it's really not that bad in france. Piste conditions here are now hard, but still good, probably icier/more worn in busier resorts. Most places south of the tarentaise (including 3v) also got a few cm last week. I had a very pleasant afternoon's snowboarding today.

(and i know i've got a "vested interest" but it makes no odds to me - we're already pretty much fully-booked).
latest report
Quote:

it's really not that bad in france

stevomcd, Yes,, the slopes are open, there is some snow, but not alot, alpe Maritime have good snow, and the pyrenees, but for the rest of france is look bad, I live in the rest of france, so I know wink But Im complete sure there will be snow before the season end Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

it's really not that bad in france

no it's not - I found some very nice snow today. However, for someone who lives in France, and can pick and choose their time to go skiing, but can't afford to go all the time, now really isn't the optimum moment.
latest report
There was 20cm+ of new snow in the Maurienne at the weekend, really, what more do you want!?

We missed-out here by a couple of miles and I guess you did by somewhat more than that over in les Saisies, but (reliable!) folk are reporting 20cm of fresh up at the Fornet end of Val d'Isere, with as much as 50cm of drifted fresh snow in the Col Pers off-piste sector!

That would have got me out for a weekend!

EDIT: Sorry, ranting a bit here, the doom and gloom is beginning to annoy me.
ski holidays
We have all different definition of what os bad or excelent, when I go just for a short brake to ski, I even do midweeks brake, in work Im my own boss so I wait to I can be complete sure that I dont have drive and put money for nothing, ofcourse, all skiing tourists will have a nice week in france comming week with the sun and warm, and also snow in the slopes,, Beginning of mars I go to Hokkaido 10 days, and first week of april we go all the family to Les Sybelles, its will be my 50th,, so when I go other times I will have,,, TPP,,, The Perfect Powderday
snow report
Quote:

the doom and gloom is beginning to annoy me.

there's no doom and gloom on my part, and it's nice that some places have had some snow but it was evidently extremely localised. I am much enjoying the warm weather and wall to wall sunshine, and found some perfectly good snow this morning. But fact remains that it's more like mid April than early February and in many resorts there will be little possibility of new artificial snow for the next week or so. I don't know why people get so miffed when people who can pick and choose when to ski, but have limited funds, decide they'll wait a bit (the same thing happened on the Les Arcs thread - someone who decided to wait was sh*t upon). We often advise people wondering about when and where to ski to wait till the last minute if possible and "follow the snow", after all. If I was sitting in an office at the moment, with the funds and leave days available for one or two weeks skiing this season, would I choose now? No, I wouldn't, but that doesn't amount to gloom and doom, just a sensible choice.
snow report
Quote:

Most places south of the tarentaise (including 3v) also got a few cm last week

stevomcd, I have just talk with a friend in Trois vallés, He reported,, no snow on the ground under 1800m, good skiing in Val Thorens
latest report
In Röldal, Norway, the snow is still falling, and they reporting the snowdeep now is 300cm,, and not only in the gullies,, as I know it is In Sierra Nevadas talk about 500cm,
Sierra Nevadas homesite says,, Min 50cm Max 500cm,, and that makes Röldal Top in Europe for the snowdeep now.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have a consistent 50cm base and it's due to snow tonight (snows at least 5 times a week all year round here) Early morning conditions firm groomed but does get variable throughout the day with good moguls early evening Very Happy

Parents down in BKK reporting good piste conditions but lots of artificial snow. They had quite a bit a few weeks back in southern Austria.

PSG
snow conditions
pam w, I'm not disagreeing with you on that, just the notion, as stated above, that :

Quote:
French alpes is very bad

When condtions are in fact, simply a little below average - but still perfectly OK for a good day's skiing.

freeheelskier, I just rode down to 1550m and went to 1200m just the other day (off piste too)! There's definitely snow on the ground below 1800m!

Right, enough, I'll stop being grumpy! Embarassed
snow conditions
Quote:

1200m just the other day (off piste too)!

stevomcd, How is your skis looking under? after that trip.. I think its difficult for some to say, -it was bad- when they had put alot of money for a trip to the alp,, realise, its like in mid april Very Happy
snow conditions
freeheelskier, J'habite ici! Pas de soucis aux semelles, mais nous sommes descendus par un sentier plus ou moins damme par la passage des skieurs - j'aurai pas aime descendre en foret! Ca fait quatre ans que j'habite en montagne et je sais bien quand les conditions sont vraiment mauvaises. Actuellement, c'est vrai qu'en hors pistes c'est un peu pourri, mais sympa ou il a neige il y a qq jours. Sur les pistes, c'est pas mal de tout.

Ecrire en francais sur l'iphone est tellement genant... Tu sais comment faire les accents? Mad
latest report
stevomcd, Laughing
snow report
stevomcd, Je sais que moi ce qu'elle est, j'ai un enfer de clavier français, mais je suis content que tu crois qu'il est correct de ski malgré le faible enneigement à Février, mais nous attendons les tempêtes de neige grands, , les salutations de France
snow report
freeheelskier, it's funny, you use less,, commas when ,,writing in French,,,. Or was it Google translation,,,,,,,??
snow report
Bode Swiller, vous,,, est,,,,,, un grand,,, idiot,,,,
ski holidays
freeheelskier, how long have you lived in France?
snow report
freeheelskier, yerdy, yerdy, yerdy
ski holidays
Hurtle, Near 1 year
latest report
freeheelskier wrote:
I have just talk with a friend in Trois vallés, He reported,, no snow on the ground under 1800m

Your friend must be blind then. I could have sworn I skied down to le Praz (1300m) just the other day, and when we skied Les Avals on Tuesday we were skiing cold soft snow (aka powder) at approx 1800m...,,,and no, nobody hit any rocks.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy