Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ID stickers for skis....

Poster: A snowHead
You come out from your lunch and some dude is rambling off with your skis, with the exception of clicking in, how do you prove their yours??....rentals have their shop stickers and barcodes on them...does anyone put a unique identifier on their skis/board??..does such a thing exist??.....my old Volkls weren't worth robbing so I wasn't too concerned, but my brand new Tornado Ti's would be worth a stroke.....or am I just over-cautious!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowheads stickers - but I'm not sure you can get them any more. I've had some on mine for ages - they stick like whatsit to a blanket. Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dazman, Over cautious I would say , but a couple of unique dots with a permanent marker shoul do it Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good kick in the nuts will do the trick

Any random sticker would do I would think, or a marker - one that won't easily wear off but will come off with a bit of scrubbing if you want
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dazman, If you're worried about them, how about your name on the sidewall, with a permanent marker?

Oh, and take a note of the serial number
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowheads stickers on my skis, too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Patch, I was going to suggest the serial numbers as well - I have a note of all ours made and there is a copy at home too in case I lose them in resorts and my parents can send them to me.

You might also try some marks with nail varnish as a permanent solution. I also mark skis with UV markers and find a good ruse with poles is a complementary coloured hollographic tape just a single thin circle of it just below the handles and it won't be quickly spotted against the pattern of the pole and requires some picking to remove - in a similar vein I use a machine to sew on fabric clothing labels (those for school clothes) to the webbing handles of the kids poles - you can snip off and use just the surname which is enough and a machine stitch again takes more unpicking than a opportunist thief has time for.

I also wonder if you could be certain that the skis wouldn't move or fall down whether one of those motion sensitive switch audible alarms would be of any use just attached to the skis to make a noise if moved. I haven't tried it, but do wonder if there is any mileage in the idea.

Mind you I was outside the Arpette in LA the other week and came out and looked along the line of skis - I reckon there must have been 80+ sets of skis and poles - there must have been thousands of pounds worth of gear lined up there. It's a huge industry isn't it!!

Then you could also use a ski lock as a deterrent - that's a SH's favourite subject and plenty of recommendations in all the threads on the subject. I use a ski lock myself as well as well as marking and serial numbers.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dazman wrote:
You come out from your lunch and some dude is rambling off with your skis, with the exception of clicking in, how do you prove their yours??....rentals have their shop stickers and barcodes on them...does anyone put a unique identifier on their skis/board??..does such a thing exist??.....my old Volkls weren't worth robbing so I wasn't too concerned, but my brand new Tornado Ti's would be worth a stroke.....or am I just over-cautious!!!

Thinking of putting something on my Ti's too; maybe some vinyl stickers that say "don't steal these".....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lots of rental operations in Austria (and probably elsewhere) put stickers on your skis with barcode and your name. So, in theory, the renter should know their own name (sometimes you wonder though) and they might even remember what the skis look like and where they left them (am I asking too much?)

If you own the skis then at least split them or park them somewhere you can keep half an eye on 'em through the window.

There is talk, nasty rumour even, that some rental operations (in a country I dare not mention) steal their own skis. You then cough up the replacement fee and their logic is that you claim it on insurance so no harm done. Then, after you've left on the saturday, your stolen skis rejoin the rack. What a great business. Never saw that on Dragons' Den eh? Probably not widespread and might be more mythical than everyday so... don't have nightmares.

My conclusion is that you must be a colossal tw*t (that's twit) to part company on a permanent basis with your gear. It ain't rocket science.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just put my initials on them with a fat black marker. Hardly elegant, but visible and clear. I did this immediately after a stranger placed his identical skis (model and length) next to mine. Also had the bindings readjusted to make sure.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any stickers will do plus the odd bit of duct tape adornment freaks people out a bit - "Is that holding your ski together?" wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Like SkiingDad, I have my initials on my skis with a permanent marker. Been there for about three years ever since mine were removed from a gondola. Also have my mobile number marked down the side in case anyone should be foolish enough to take them.
I think that most of the time they are taken it is a just a mistake so if you make yours look a bit different that should be enough.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wow Megamum, bet no-one steals much from you Very Happy Ultimate solution - why not fix a laminated photo of yourself onto the skis? Could be the start of a new fashion!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

why not fix a laminated photo of yourself onto the skis?

Laughing or a photo of some big mean dude.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I like the idea of putting you initials in permanent marker on them....I'm gonna do that, plus I was passing Carrolls (v v v v cheesy 'Oirish' shop) in Dublin City centre today and got some very near tricolour stickers that I reckon will fit in the gap of binding onto the exposed ski and also on to the tail of the ski.

Sorted.
ski holidays
pam w, but I am a big, mean dude!!
snow report
fatbob
Quote:

Any stickers will do plus the odd bit of duct tape adornment freaks people out a bit - "Is that holding your ski together?" wink

Your my kind of guy Fatbob - cant beat duct tape - that gets my vote...

Noisey Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy