Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chimp, Judge or Scientist

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In the latest BASI Newsletter there's a very interesting article on sport psychology entitled "Chimp, Judge or Scientist!!"

If you get an opportunity to read it, I think you will find it interesting - I certainly did
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From the title of this thread, i thought it was a creative discussion on the different way people held their arm carriage. This seems to be just as good though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So, what's the article say?! (For those of us who will not have the opportunity to read it?)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ssh, the gist of it is that we have all of these characters within us:-

The Chimp - our reptilian brain and our innate ability to survive when we are put in unknown or sticky situations
The Judge - our critical self "You didn't do that very well", "One more chance to get it right", "What will others think of me if I make a complete mess off it?"
The Scientist - analytical of our performance, "What did I do wrong?", "What can I do better next time?", your support, your friend

Basically the article said that we spend too much time and energy fighting the Chimp and being too self critical like the Judge. Whereas we should be more like the Scientist. Ok, you cannot completely ignore the Chimp as throwing yourself off the nearest cliff (and relying upon your reptilian brain to work things out) is never a good idea.

There's a great quote from the late, great Ayrton Senna on the subject which I really like

Quote:
"....and so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.”
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds very interesting but what do you mean, we spend too much time "fighting the chimp", do you mean we try not to survive, or avoid sticky situations?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
StevenH72 wrote:
Sounds very interesting but what do you mean, we spend too much time "fighting the chimp", do you mean we try not to survive, or avoid sticky situations?

Basically we shy away from the unknown or what we perceive as fearful or 'dangerous' situations through our lack of belief in our own capabilities and as I said, this ability we have to work things out when 'push comes to shove' in order to survive

Forgot to add that the Chimp also comes into play when our ego is threatened. Deidre Angella who wrote the article states:

Quote:

"There is no place to hide in a sporting performance and being willing to risk your ego is a calculation that separates athletes who rise to the challenge and those that fear failure"
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the breakdown...

Does this also map into the levels of competence?

Unconscious incompetence
Conscious incompetence
Conscious competence
Unconscious competence

It seems like it could...

It also seems like the Judge and the Scientist can also be very positive if redirected to assess and analyze before we act... or afterwards in order to help us improve. It's when they try to do that work in the heat of the moment that we run into failure. They can't do those things fast enough!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ssh, The levels of competence are my favourite thing that I can really relate to - I often quote them on SH's. In terms of the OP I am very much the scientist and probably need a certain amount of chimp in my to give me a bit of gumption.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So..................

Since I actually AM a scientist.................

How come I ski like a chimp?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Acacia wrote:
So..................

Since I actually AM a scientist.................

How come I ski like a chimp?

Because you haven't bought my DVDs yet. wink

It takes a roadmap and a plan to leave the world of the ever-chimp. So many skiers dive into the sport of skiing, in chimp fashion, discover survival based ways of coping with the challenges they encounter, and then proceed to embed those less than efficient movement pattern over the course of many seasons. Poor souls, can only be saved through an intense chimp exorcism.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
. . . Oook?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque wrote:
. . . Oook?

Masque do I spot a fan of the librarian and Discworld wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The only guys I see on the slopes that imitate chimps - are snowboarders/knuckle dusters.. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Load of tosh - suggests the world is full of pessimists
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy