Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing Strategies vs Airlines' Ever Decreasing Weight Limits

Poster: A snowHead
crosbie, so buy a lighter weight holdall? To be honest 10kg for clothes and bathroom essentials is plenty for me anyway. It's not about zen-like packing skills, it's about taking only what you need. I frequently end up with an extra hoody or t-shirt that I don't end up wearing, yet my luggage totals around 14kg including 5kg boots and 1kg holdall. Admittedly I don't take a hairdryer or straighteners, I let my hair go mad on holiday. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

It's not about zen-like packing skills

Absolutely. Crosbie, what are you taking that makes life so difficult? Are you trying to pack several pairs of heavy shoes, or a complete change of ski gear? 12 books? Where's the problem?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
crosbie, Dr John, we paid $5 for a luggage trolley at JFK at Christmas - and you don't get that back.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

suncream, .... - buying in resort is a tad expensive these days

€9.50 in Karstadt (German department store that just about went bankrupt recently) Shocked just for one of those pocket lippy suncream things!
Sometimes the resorts are a positive bargain.
At least in DM (like a German version of Superdrug) they are pocket money.

I used to manage 19.999kg with boots. Although add +/-1kg to that depending on airport scales. Usually wear the heaviest clothes, boots, ski jacket etc. for the journey. Feel sorry for those on 15kg flights. And those that think their skis might fly on a Flybe plane with them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't get the issue, it was easy enough to get everything needed for a 10 day ice climbing trip into Ryanair's 15kg + 10kg hand luggage. Climbing kit is a lot heavier than ski kit and it's not like you can shuffle it around when security frown on crampons, axes, ropes etc being in hand luggage.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yeah but climbers wear the same pants for 10 days without batting an eyelid Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

And those that think their skis might fly on a Flybe plane with them.

Mm. Flew out Flybe to Chambery on Tuesday, with just hand baggage but met a friend at the airport who said he'd booked in December with two ski bags. One had been accepted, the other "waitlisted". so are you supposed to turn up and hope for the best? He squeezed their stuff into one bag, in the end.

Chambery - magic on a Tuesday. Less than 10 minutes from touchdown, driving away in a car which had been parked FREE for 10 days, a few metres from the door to the terminal (with that super-camp Angel person from Paradiski all over it - what loony thought that one up?).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm packing this weekend (setting off Tuesday).

I'll let everyone know how I get on. I've already decided to dump my 5Kg hard boots, and replace my super 5Kg Kipling holdall with a 500g bag.

I got a lovely new boot bag for xmas. Pity it'll probably never get used on a flight again, like the Kipling bag.

This is the sort of thing I'll be facing (and this is last year):

Quote:
Just back from Banff (Inghams - Thomas Cook to Calgary). No hassles on the way out from Manchester and we had a coffin with two boards, boots, clothes etc at 20+kg. Check in staff just took the extra off our luggage which thankfully was under the 20kg allowance.

On the way back our rep warned us in advance we would be charged excess at Calgary if the board bag was over 10kg so we to only put the boards in. All our stuff was all weighed against our limits. There were folk in the queue at the airport unpacking coffin bags and wearing their snowboard boots on the plane just to avoid the excess charges so best to make sure you have spare bags for boots / helmets etc. Sometimes I think it's just your luck on the day but people were defiantly being told they would have to pay for excess at Calgary.

http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/PNphpBB2-printview-t-38482-start-0.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My bag for 12 days included three jackets (two for me, one for my wife and I wore my big coat), two boarding pants, numerous base layers, fleeces and socks, pants, toiletries and evening clothes for a 12 day trip... plus my board and boots and my wife's skis, all for 31kg.

My wife's bag, with her ski boots and all of her clothing, was 16kg.

Not a zen to be seen and no drama.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bar shaker, maybe we should compare packing light to a boarder learning to ride a poma drag lift? Some people find it an extremely difficult skill to learn, whereas others can't see how such a simple thing can cause some people so much grief.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
crosbie, you give us a list of what you have (along the lines of the categories you set out in your original post) then we'll all have a go at telling you what you should leave behind. Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Didn't read every post but don't see people using this tactic.....

If you place your bag on the conveyer belt and there is a silver metal vertical plate at the front of it facing outward you need to wedge your foot under it and lift. Be subtle!!!

If you do this weight drops dramatically on the scales!!!

Use wisely!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

miserly 21st century limit of a 20Kg hold bag, a 5Kg cabin bag, and a 10Kg ski bag

Miserly? Thats 35kg Shocked (Or five and a half stones in old money....)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
crosbie wrote:
pam w, obviously, if you find the typical luggage allowance ample for your needs, you can adopt the 'just stuff it all in' strategy. Confused

Yup.

That's what I do.

I've never gone over the limits yet. (and my ski bots are always in that main hold bag).

I have never understood why a typical piste skier going for a week would have any difficulty with a 20Kg limit.

If you are going for longer, or you arealso taking a lot of off-piste equipment, then obviously it will be harder.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
crosbie wrote:
I'm packing this weekend (setting off Tuesday).

I'll let everyone know how I get on. I've already decided to dump my 5Kg hard boots, and replace my super 5Kg Kipling holdall with a 500g bag...

This sort of talk got me wondering if my boots and bag were super light. Not really. On the bathroom scales - 1pr of boots: 4.5kg. Bag (has an extendable handle and wheels (I'm softer than queen boadiciea)): 4.5kg. And as I said, I throw in helmet shovel and probe as well.
snow report
jtr wrote:
..and Bristol. £2 non-refundable per trolley.

They also charge £1 for a plastic bag to put a lipsalve etc in for security too. After the first time never again-everything like that in hold luggage from then on.
snow conditions
What achilles isn't telling you, is that he also packs 22kg of anti-gravity particles in a little tupperware box.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
jtr wrote:
..and Bristol. £2 non-refundable per trolley.

They also charge £1 for a plastic bag to put a lipsalve etc in for security too. After the first time never again-everything like that in hold luggage from then on.

Why put it in hold luggage from now on?

Surely you now have the little plastic bags?
snow conditions
I just use a normal sandwich bag. Why pay for an airport bag?
latest report
alex_heney, queen bodecia, well, I hadn't flown from there before so had always been used to having a plastic bag available (for free) for the odd occasion that I did happen to have something with me that needed to go into a plastic bag (rare as usually have everything in hold luggage of that kind). So I wasn't equipped with a sandwich bag that time.

Obviously if you know beforehand they will charge then yes, why not take your own for the purpose, but if you don't know beforehand then you have to either bin the item or pay for the bag don't you!

I expect it's to reduce the amount of plastic bags issued, which is fair enough. There is nothing I need that can't go in hold luggage anyway but for other people they now know that the bags are £1 each if they want to use one.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 3-02-11 23:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, understood. I've been doing the sandwich bag thing since the security procedures went all doolally. I always have liquid medications I need to carry.
snow conditions
and the crazy thing is if you fly to/from italy, then they don't care at all about the EU imposed regulation, don't care about the sarnie bag/ziplock, and don't care if you leave yer toothpaste and mini shower gel bottles nicked from the hotel in your hand baggage.
ski holidays
andy wrote:
and the crazy thing is if you fly to/from italy, then they don't care at all about the EU imposed regulation, don't care about the sarnie bag/ziplock, and don't care if you leave yer toothpaste and mini shower gel bottles nicked from the hotel in your hand baggage.

Last time we came back from Bergamo, we actually had a stainless steel flask in our hand luggage, that we had been drinking coffee from while waiting.

They didn't even ask to open it!
latest report
Arno, the amount I scare myself on ice I need 2 pairs a day Shocked
snow conditions
andy wrote:

Not true! We returned from Turin last Sunday. Some people were stopped at the gate (ie just about to board the aircraft), and their bags searched. My OH was one. He had to drink a gulp of the orange juice that he'd (obviously) bought airside rolling eyes .
snow report
maggi, I'll admit that I usually only fly to/from Rome these days. They must be more laid back. Not flown to Turin for a while.
snow report
The only time I've ever gone over the weight limit was when I was out for four weeks this Christmas. The problem was I took an extra pair of (super heavy) Atomic piste skis in addition to my normal ones. Something like 3kg over Easyjet's limits. Normally I'm around 5kg under, even for long trips like that one. I reckon the problem most people have is using heavy wheeled bags - just get a hold-all with rucksack straps.
ski holidays
I agree with selecting the correct luggage. I weighed my wheeled bag on my last trip and was shocked that it was over 5kg's on it's own.....I also have big feet (you know what they say about big feet...... Toofy Grin ) so my ski boots weith twice as much as my OH. Seriously considered sending luggage and equipment to Canada via fedex last season. This has the added benefit of being able get through the airport un-incumbered.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Recent 10-day trip to Popova Shapka, Macedonia with Montenegro Airlines (scheduled flight) from Gatwick

Checked
Wheeled Marker ski bag with skis, poles, ski clothing, non-ski clothing, toiletries, helmet, shovel, probe < 20kg

Carry-on
North Face duffel (small) with ski boots, camera equipment, transceiver, knee brace, 1 change of non-ski clothing

Small shoulder bag with netbook, 2 books, 2 magazines, travel documents

No problems at check-in or at security.

Living near to Cardiff Airport it normally works out cheaper for me to fly scheduled with KLM than travel to Birmingham or Bristol to travel 'low-cost' airlines due to travel costs and baggage allowance.
latest report
Mike Pow, when we flew out of Southampton earlier this week they were enforcing a strict "one carry on bag only" policy. One of the problems is the very different policies adopted at different airports.
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
I just use a normal sandwich bag. Why pay for an airport bag?

Flying out of Gatwick in November I was made to give up my sandwich bag and take one of the airport issue bags as my sarnie bag wasn't the right spec Shocked

I was a little bemused as apart from my bag having a ziplock top I couldn't really see the difference between them.
snow conditions
At Robin Hood airport (Doncaster) I had an argument with security about toiletries. I had a tiny lip cream tube which I put in the box. The bloke insisted that I buy a bag as, "Toiletries must be in a clear plastic bag". He pointed out the notice. I said it was not "Toiletries" it was a single item of toiletry. The point of the bag was to keep all toiletries together. I had nothing else. He just kept repeating that it was toiletries and I kept insisting it was not - there was only one - so singular not plural - therefore the notice didn't apply. This was only resolved by my friend picking it up and putting it into her bag. There was then another pointless argument brewing when he said that she was not allowed to take anything through belonging to someone else rolling eyes . She thought quickly and said that it was originally hers and she had lent it to me!

I avoid Doncaster now ....... little Hitlers Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
We're flying to Geneva from Glasgow this Sunday, with Easyjet. Fine weightwise, as there are 3 of us - 2 adults and a 3 year old, and I booked a bag for each of us (wasn't really thinking at the time obviously) and also 2 sets of ski carriage.

So in total we have 84kg between us? According to comments on here and also Easyjets website it says it doesn't matter how the weight is distributed as long as there is two pieces of sports equipment as booked. So here is what we've done:

2 sets of skis in one ski bag along with some toiletries and socks. approx 15kg
1 boot bag with a pair of ski boots and snow boots, plus some socks, gloves, hats etc approx 7kg.
2 x holdalls carrying everything else - clothes 2 x helmets, 1 x ski boots 1 x snowboard boots (no board as OH will just hire for a day or two rather than paying the carriage - he mainly skis) 1 holdall around 18kg the other 12kg

I'm saying approx as we haven't weighed since we put a few other items in each but know we are well withing weight limit, but what I'm wondering is does the two skis in one bag matter? If we did decide to take another bag (maybe to help out friends weight) would the boot bag be considered as the 3rd hold bag since 2 sets of skis in one bag, ie the two stes of sports equip, or would the boot bag be considered as the 2nd ski carriage? Obviously they would have to realise 2 sets in one bag (we used to always just add one ski carriage and carry 2 sets in one bag and they never bothered, but know they are getting more strict on these things)

Thanks.
snow report
I'm surprised at the allownce for hand luggage and a lot of people don't seem to always realise, I'm as guilty as the last person of ignoring doing this....it's a area that I'm planning to utilise to the max this year. On top of this the size of small hand case that you can aid this on some airlines....Its just a case of building the muscles up in the hand luggage holding arm....the bionic man action doll from the late 70's will have nothing on me!! Laughing
snow report
crosbie wrote:
bar shaker, maybe we should compare packing light to a boarder learning to ride a poma drag lift? Some people find it an extremely difficult skill to learn, whereas others can't see how such a simple thing can cause some people so much grief.

Bit of a daft comparison - ones just using a bit of common sense, the other is knowing not what to take Madeye-Smiley

Seriously this cant cause you any problems surely. We take two boot bags, two ski bags both within limits easily. A large holdall each each weighed in last year at 16 kg so the were half empty. Plenty of gear for over two weeks skiing. Return trip we always hit maximum luggage weight Toofy Grin

Neither of us wear a ski jacket on the plane and SWMBO like to take two sets of ski gear Shocked
ski holidays
Bones, there seem to be two kinds of people posting here: 1) those flabbergasted and almost offended at the idea that some people can find clearly generous luggage allowances at all constraining, and 2) that tiny minority of people with a common sense deficiency who do find the weight limits a problem and increasingly difficult to achieve.

What I want to know is why those who don't find limits a problem think they're helping those that do by simply saying things like "I manage to pack a pair of powder skis, slalom skis, ski boots, crampons, ice axe, shovel, probe, helmet, transceiver, snow shoes, clothes for two weeks skiing/rock climbing, a laptop, a fully stocked minibar, and still have a spare 4Kg to take back some pressies for the kids."? Yup. Amazing, but how does the revelation of that miracle help those who are 'hard of packing' or 'luggage weight limit challenged'?

Puzzled

I have a suspicion that all those who don't find it a problem are about 4 foot tall, with correspondingly weeny and lightweight equipment.
snow report
crosbie wrote:
.....What I want to know is why those who don't find limits a problem think they're helping those that do by simply saying things like "I manage to pack a pair of powder skis, slalom skis, ski boots, crampons, ice axe, shovel, probe, helmet, transceiver, snow shoes, clothes for two weeks skiing/rock climbing, a laptop, a fully stocked minibar, and still have a spare 4Kg to take back some pressies for the kids."?

Happy to help your thirst for knowledge Toofy Grin

The point is that it is very clearly possible to pack for a week's holiday within modern baggage limits. The avi kit and the like also makes the point that it is possible for those skiers carrying beyond what on-piste skiers who hire kit would consider the norm.

Quote:
Yup. Amazing, but how does the revelation of that miracle help those who are 'hard of packing' or 'luggage weight limit challenged'?

Hopefully it helps those who are weight profligate to l Look seriously at the junk they must be carrying.

Quote:
I have a suspicion that all those who don't find it a problem are about 4 foot tall, with correspondingly weeny and lightweight equipment.

Hmm you use old money for measurements. Are you even older than I am, I wonder? Anyway 5'10" (180cm). Boots weigh 4.5kg. My skis are 6.7kg.
snow report
achilles, let's hope I do discover that I'd be taking some junk. I'm 1.9m, born '63, and my 2m powder board+bindings+bag weighs 10Kg. I'm already having to ditch my 7Kg alpine board and 4.5Kg boots. Crying or Very sad Don't you dare call it junk! Sad
snow report
crosbie, it's a board Toofy Grin wink . Actually, if I could guarantee I could find others to drive with I'd prefer to do that - it would be nice to have some out-and-out piste skis with me, and ski tuning kit as well. Flying does stop me carrying that stuff. And even if I felt I could squeeze it on a train, the practicality of lugging it around and between stations stops me doing it.
snow report
achilles, you don't take ski tuning kit? Shocked

A couple of years ago I took just my alpine (hard-pack) board to Courchevel on the snow train (sleeper) and then it snowed and powder everywhere. I regretted packing light. rolling eyes

At least it looks like Canada might get a bit more fresh snow than the Alps at the mo. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy