Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ST GERVAIS / MEGEVE - Where's the snow !!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Missed out on last year

So we've booked 2 weeks for this year starting 19th Feb.

Desperate to go, but getting really worried about the snow. Any ideas if it will snow

Also any top tips for St Gervais as i've not skied it before. ie runs/days out etc.

Thanks to everyone, as i have just joined snowheads
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
topboymurph, welcome to Snow Heads snowHead

We were in St G last week (2nd consecutive year) and the snow was fine - they definitely need more to top up, cover the couple of completely closed runs and freshen it all, but it's very cold (and sunny with blue skies Very Happy ) and that's making it possible for the good snow management to be working. The cannons were working through the day, last week, and other than the odd patch of iciness, it was all pretty good.

What level of skiers are you? We're pretty mixed but tend to stick with the runs all can do, so can't advise on off-piste, but the blacks and mogulled runs that could be seen from the lifts, were in decent nick. The blues and greens were all fine and skiing back to Le Bettex was no problem.

W/c 19/2 is obviously HT week but I understand from past clients I have sent to St G, that it's nothing like as crowded or busy as other places in that peak week. We certainly didn't queue for longer than a minute or two, for any lift on any day, last week.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
topboymurph, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead

At St Gervais you'll be pretty close to Les Contamines (on the same lift pass, I think). That will probably have the best snow round that area - so might be worth a visit or two and shouldn't be too busy (not that anywhere will be quiet, those are two of the busiest weeks of the year).

We're all keeping our fingers crossed for some fresh snow - but meantime, the sun is lovely!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Anniepen,

Thanks for your comments. Both my wife and myself are advanced and my children 10 and 12 are fairly good, being happy on reds and the occasional black.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are a few relatively easy blacks in St Gervais - notably on the Princesse, Voltigeurs, etc.
Runs off the top of Mont Joly are more difficult - if the lifts are open.
There is a fair amount of off-piste (not too difficult) on the side of the mountain down to Les Communailles and St Nicolas.
I enjoy the runs of the Etudiants llift and they are sometimes left unpisted (or take a walk off the back to find a novel route to Megeve).
Overall, there may be icy patches, but there is plenty to do and even in a bad winter you should have no real problems.
pam w, is right that a trip to Les Contamines is worthwhile and included in the Evasion lift pass.
On a good day, the run from Combloux to La Giettaz and back is enjoyable and quieter with good stops for lunch, but as with Les Contamines you would really need a car to get there.
The skipass pays du mont blanc http://www.chamonet.com/lift-system/chamonix-lift-pass-prices-winter.htm is expensive, but would allow you to do a day or two to Chamonix and to get the tram up from St Gervais and ski in Les Houches as well.
Have a good time.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Will you all stop sending people to LesC please! It's our little secret and we want to keep it that way! Laughing

They're both right of course Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
topboymurph, will you have a car ? If you are going with snowcoach then i believe they use there coaches to run trips to other resorts. there are many places within easy reach of st gervais. les contamines,les houches ,chamonix, les saises. Contamines combloux and megeve are all on the evaison lift pass. It is possible to buy this lift pass in non consecutive days this would allow you to ski elsewhere as and when whithout loosing a day on a consec lift pass.
Best bet is to pray for snow and even if it is white out you will still be able to ski, as there is a lot of tree lined pistes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
topboymurph, Skied Megeve yesterday, its very thin but the resort are working hard to keep the pistes going. Many of the runs to resort have closed but there is still plenty open. Also skied les contamines last week and its in good nick. The off piste is no good anywhere.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My brothers skied St Gervais last week and said that there was plenty of advanced skiing, even though the snow was thin. They also said that although the snow was not great, it was by no means terrible. Chamonix is highly recommended for advanced skiing as well although I've never visited. I have been to the st gervais area several times, and would agree that some of the best skiing is off the top of mont joly, especially down the black run area if there is lots of snow and they don't piste it. I also agree with beequin, about the les communailles/st nicholas area, which is where I would spend most of my time if I had the choice (for example up around Epaule lift etc). It's a massive area.
Has anyone been over to Rochebrune a lot? I think I've been once, but can't remember what it was like...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
19th_hole_eagle wrote:
Has anyone been over to Rochebrune a lot? I think I've been once, but can't remember what it was like...

Yes, countless times (as for the rest of the Evasion domain)!

It's nice over there, but not great beginner territory, other than the area immediately around the top of the Chamois lift from the village. Above that, the Olympique is a nice run and (working along the ridge from there) the Petite Fontaine / Jardin area (served by the crossing chairlifts) is fun and Lanchettes, which is hardly ever busy, is a superb carving run. Finally, Côte 2000 has more of a high mountain feel, with plenty of challenging variants including the World Cup run, and lots of off-piste opportunities. The whole area is pretty shady, so the snow will generally be holding up better there (especially at Côte 2000) than on Mt d'Arbois / Mt Joux. I'm going there on March 19th, and unless there's a couple of significant dumps between now and then, expect to spent the majority of time at Côte 2000 (with perhaps a trip to Les Contamines). I notice from the webcams that even high up on Mt Joly, there are bare patches; due no doubt to its steepness and exposure. The normally merely challenging off-piste runs there look like death traps to be honest.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
topboymurph, The snow is pretty good up at Côte 2000 but don't bother going up there tomorrow as there is a race on.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy