Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1 hour from Munich

Poster: A snowHead
Are these resorts really an hour from Munich....

http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Munich.html

Pete
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PeteMan, 1hour plus,, there is no skiresort 1h or less from Münich
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In totally clear traffic (ie not a Saturday am), some might squeeze in at about 55minutes. From the airport, best call them an hour and a half (in totally clear traffic).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
freeheelskier, well, Garmisch for one.

PeteMan, some are a bit ambitious. Soll, Ellmau around 90 mins if its clear. The small unheard-of German resorts, yes.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, A little more if U take care about the speedlimit Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
freeheelskier, Speed limit (or lack of them) on German autobahns may be a little faster than the Oslo ring 3! wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Roy Hockley, But U are not alone on autobahn,, have U never drive there Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No never, but driven both places!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Garmisch or Hopfgarten-Brixental are about 90 minutes, depending on traffic. Google Maps route calculator will give you a pretty good idea of the traveling time.

Others like Koessen, Achenkirch-Christlum are further off the main roads so will take longer to reach, even if they are closer on the map.

Also, ease of access from Munich is related to how busy some ski resorts are. Smaller places such as Lenggries-Brauneck, Schliersee-Spitzingsee that are close to Munich get quite crowded on weekends.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I seem to recall getting to the Alpbach turn off in not much more than an hour last winter Puzzled - with the resort then not too much further up the valley.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Half of the autobahn from MUC to ski resort is a 120 zone, so forget the unlimited speed limit Wink Go at the wrong time of day, and forget even managing to reach half the speed limit.
PS the "U" diversion signs are very handy when there's been the usual car spack somewhere in the vicinity of Irschenberg.
edit: my 55mins above was for a hotel on outskirts of Munich to Oberaudorf. I doubt there's anything much closer, and even if there is, a couple of minutes is "noise" in the stats.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 2-02-11 23:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy, nice to see someone that now about to drive in germany Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
An amusing listing. Strange that Oberau comes in as 1 hour, Auffach as 1.5 hours but Niederau and Wildschönau as 2 hours. All to be taken with a pinch of salt. But there are a few areas I haven't skied yet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK, I offer you Lenggries - http://www.skigermany.com/skiing/lenggries/lenggries.php

Definitely the closest at 59 miles from Munich Airport, maybe 2/3 of it on autobahn - turn off half way between Munich & Rosenheim. So, if you get a clear run and welly it (sorry officer, I'm new here) you might just get close in an hour. 1000m vertical by the looks of the "piste map".

I must've been through it because I've taken that road through to the Zillertal before now when the autobahn has been clogged.

Anyway, I'd like to declare that do-able in 1 hour.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PeteMan, skiwelt including westendorf and as already mentioned wildschonau all around 1 - 1.5hrs travelling time. this has been done twice by ourselves.
ski holidays
whitewizard, to reach those places in 1 hour would mean averaging around 90-100 mph which would be unlikely I feel!
snow conditions
whitewizard, You were probably very lucky in traffic conditions &/or avoiding the plain-clothes speed cops in their video cars. Getting to the Wildschonau you will need a motorway vignette and the final climb from the motorway to any of the villages is extremely slow going even in the middle of the night simply by the nature of the roads and the junctions in and around Wörgl.

The MAX speed limit on the A93 (Rosenheim-Kufstein) is 130kmh, although the number of people going faster make this a prime target for cameras and mega pile ups as it is only 2-lanes in each direction From Kufstein up to any of the Skiwelt resorts the limit is between 40 and 100kmh, assuming there is no other traffic which is rarely the situation.

I live in the area and I am hard pressed to get from Munich Airport to my home in less than 90 minutes using the motorways, I calculate an absolute minimum of 2.5 hours depending on the time of day and the weather. The nearest resort to me on that list is either Sudelfeld or Oberaudorf, neither of which can be reached within an hour from Munich Airport. I also commute to work along this corridor on a daily basis and have often seem British cars driving stupidly because they believe the urban myth that there are no speed limits in Germany. Recent changes in legislation will mean that they will now find out the hard way, that there are!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy