Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How fast has your gps clocked you at...

Poster: A snowHead
138 kph @ Kvitfjell - It was in the olympic downhill course from the Lillehammer '94 olympia. Max gradient: 64 degrees Smile
http://www.kvitfjell.no/media/bilder/vinter/wc/utorloeype_kvitfjell_downhill_kvitfjell.pdf

I want to go faster, but I'm not an idiot so have to slow down for blind-tops/edges/corners.
Did 139kph @ Hemsedal, the hill has less blind-edges/tops/corners.

This year I'm going to Trysil for the first time, it got a promising hill, 45 degrees and around 400 meters long and no obstacles/blind stuff.

http://youtube.com/v/NLmpUebHu2I&feature=related

Gear:
Atomic Race GS12 190cm
http://www.ski-review.com/ski_reviews/review/atomic_gs12_pb_2008/
Atomic Race 1018 bindings
Carbon GS poles

They are the best skiis I have ever used for downhill "rocket-skiing". If you go beneath 60-70kph they feel akward and unstable, but faster you go the more stable they feel. Even at speeds above 130+ they are super stable, no twitching, no lifting, just pure enjoyment.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No idea, but I've gone down the OK World cup run at Val d'Isere in 3min 20sec the day after a race, which means an average of about 40mph. That was 20 years ago and I'm sure on more suitable skis and building up speed in a tuck on an empty course (I came almost to a stop at one blind edge) that could easily be improved but it seemed very fast at the time.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 31-10-12 13:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mine clocked me at 1100mph while riding along the sea-front of St Tropez on my motorcycle. It was mainly due to a tracking error where it thought I was in the middle of the med for about 5 seconds Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
loccoRR wrote:
138 kph @ Kvitfjell - It was in the olympic downhill course from the Lillehammer '94 olympia. Max gradient: 64 degrees Smile
Look again: I think you mean 64% - even speed skiing courses don't get as steep as 45º, even at the very, very top. It is rare for black runs to get over 30º in Europe.
64% is about 33º
Similarly 45% is just over 24º which is about what that slope looks like.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
loccoRR wrote:
I want to go faster, but I'm not an idiot so have to slow down for blind-tops/edges/corners.

In that case I assume you are doing this on a closed run otherwise you are indeed an idiot. Just watch any d/h race where the course staff inadvertantly err into the race line and you'll understand exactly what I mean.

If you want to go fast then why not go to Les Arcs where joe punter can use the speed skiing course (or at least the bottom half)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
michaelminhatkinson wrote:
Ok, to set the ball rolling, unless I have already missed it! spoo

How fast has your gps clocked you? or how fast has a speed trap clocked you on the slope?

And I mean skiing or boarding!

To set the bar lowish

Resort: Morzine
Piste: Piste B
Colour: Blue
Speed: 61.5 kmph/ 38.1 mph
Slowing factors: several ski schools

Disclaimer: we thought we might kill oursleves and so you should not attempt a silly speed unless you are a competent skiier/boarder and you are skiing within your limits. Hence I take no liability. Very Happy

This is the most irresponsible post I have seen here, can't we let this thread die.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

If you want to go fast then why not go to Les Arcs where joe punter can use the speed skiing course (or at least the bottom half)

Is this going to reopen? It appears to have been unprepared the last few years.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball wrote:
loccoRR wrote:
Look again: I think you mean 64% - even speed skiing courses don't get as steep as 45º, even at the very, very top. It is rare for black runs to get over 30º in Europe.
64% is about 33º
Similarly 45% is just over 24º which is about what that slope looks like.

Yeah, sorry, was a little quick on that Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
% is vertical drop divided by horizontal travel x 100. So look up the % figure in a Tangents table to find the º
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mach 2.0 (but I wasn't wearing skis!)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
loccoRR, please would you give us all a list of which resorts you are going to and on which dates so that we can avoid your idiocy (assuming that you are doing this on open pistes) Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Orelle at Val Thorens, 7 April 2012...max speed 106.7km/h...I was amazed I was so fast!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone used Strava for skiing yet?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I cancelled my strava a/c and have no intention of using it again. There's already enough people skiing out of control. Don't want Strava nutters on open pistes tyvm.

I have logged stuff in endomondo though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Walter-Spitty wrote:

I think these apps are almost totally useless. homers double wasn't even trying hard and yet the app thinks he's done 99 km/h (61.5 mph). Unless he was on 216 cm downhill racing skis and wearing a racing suit, how is it possible to be travelling at that kind of speed?

Can't agree... Dont forget people racing are turning so will lose speed no matter how clean their turns are, if you're going straight down a slope you could clock that.

I hit 98km/h on the speed trap in Davos a few years ago, yes it seems extremely fast and nearly lost it because the run out was bumpy, but still achievable without any 'training'
snow report
spiky1013 wrote:
I hit 98km/h on the speed trap in Davos a few years ago, yes it seems extremely fast and nearly lost it because the run out was bumpy, but still achievable without any 'training'

I've been down that... 106.8 it said on the read out which I'm not sure I believe but you're certainly going fast enough to know that catching an edge would be messy. Love the little hut at the top...
latest report
red 27 wrote:
spiky1013 wrote:

I've been down that... 106.8 it said on the read out which I'm not sure I believe but you're certainly going fast enough to know that catching an edge would be messy. Love the little hut at the top...

Yep the hut's a nice addition!

The run off has never been smooth when I've been there which is a bit dangerous
snow conditions
spiky1013, can't recall the smoothness but I could have done with more length and without the punters standing around at the end of it still inside the netting!

Definitely gets the adrenalin going waiting for your turn, watching those ahead of you plunge down and out of sight Shocked
snow report
red 27, I remember it being a particularly short and crowded run off!
snow report
jbob, how is this thread irresponsible?.......folks will go fast and have a fascination with speed whether this thread or any other exists. The actions of some people contributing may or may not be irresponsible on the slopes but unless you're a saint i'm sure at some point in your life you've done something irresponsible...I know have. It is possible to ski fast and ski safely so please chill and accept the thread in context. Smile
snow conditions
jirac18, referring to the jbob's comment about that post, Piste B at Morzine is a bunny run for beginners to head back to town, so hooning it to any extent (certainly if it was during regular lesson hours) smacks of idiocy.

Yes there is a fascination with speed - no doubt why most of us get hooked to skiing to some extent - but there's a time and a place...
latest report
From VT earlier this year.

snow report
jirac18 wrote:
jbob, how is this thread irresponsible?.......folks will go fast and have a fascination with speed whether this thread or any other exists. The actions of some people contributing may or may not be irresponsible on the slopes but unless you're a saint i'm sure at some point in your life you've done something irresponsible...I know have. It is possible to ski fast and ski safely so please chill and accept the thread in context. Smile

I guess what caught my eye, were the words, Blue, 38mph, ski schools.
snow conditions
I have a built-in app called fear. And an early warning system that turns my pants brown when I go too fast.
latest report
75mph on a piste in Chatel by the old rochassons chair. We waited until the piste was empty before heading down.
latest report
jbob, yeh I get that and agree there's a time and a place but to call for the thread to be avoided or to die is akin to asking BBC to pull Top Gear because people drive fast. The idiots who boast of doing clearly irresponsible things show themselves up for exactly that on a thread like this so why wish for its removal or disappearance. Maybe if one idiot reads the reaction of others and slows down on a gentle ski school blue then the thread serves a positive purpose.
snow report
75mph =120kph. The speed guns at mens downhilll races barely top 130 kph and thats on water injected icy pistes, highly tuned skis, with elite athletes in aerodynamic skin tight suits (and cojones grandes). I'll leave the court of snowheads to decide whether the app was lying....
ski holidays
To everyone who claims a 100kph or higher, you might want to read this first - “I have learned more about the physics of the sport. My first day back in training, we had the GPS on me and I reached 123km per hour, which I the fastest I have ever been". Chemmy.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/alpine-skiing-alcott-plans-return-scene-horror-crash-053406803.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr John, not quite sure I'm with you Doc - are you reminding everyone that it will hurt if they fall over when going fast?

That's a given I think although I guess it's never a bad thing to reinforce the message. In that speed trap in Davos I was certainly acutely aware of that fact - it was terrifying but strangely compulsive. All skiers will understand that feeling I think
snow report
Dr John, presumably she was putting in some turns, whereas I would imagine some of the people on here are bombing it straight down, thus likely to go a bit faster.

That's not to say that people aren't exaggerating/GPS readings aren't accurate though of course.
ski holidays
bobmcstuff, turns or straight line no important, she say's it the fastest she's ever been. That would be a wold class skier who's done little else but ski her entire life, on race prepared piste, with racing skis and boots, and a race suit. If people want to believe they can match that using standard kit and a couple of weeks skiing per year it's up to them, but they're deluded.
latest report
Exactly -but one could argue given the title of the thread that it's an accurate post. If we were to have another thread entitled how fast have you been clocked with a calibrated speed gun, then the posts in that would be significantly different. I've been clocked with a speed gun @ 108kph on a piste specifically designed for people to do this sort of activity (VT for your info) and yet my GPS has occasionally had me at over 110. Now I know what 108 feels like and it was certainly noticeably faster than the times my GPS said I was going faster.

If people want to believe they are breaking the sound barrier, then that's up to them !!
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
To everyone who claims a 100kph or higher, you might want to read this first - “I have learned more about the physics of the sport. My first day back in training, we had the GPS on me and I reached 123km per hour, which I the fastest I have ever been". Chemmy.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/alpine-skiing-alcott-plans-return-scene-horror-crash-053406803.html

Chemmy has just updated her tweet.

edited version of the update..

I reached 128km per hour, which is far from the fastest I have ever been
latest report
ansta1, bloody women, forever changing their minds...
snow report
Walter-Spitty wrote:
homers double wrote:
Just a point, the screen shot of the iPhone I took wasn't at the point of maximum speed. That would be quite silly, taking a phone out whilst hurtling down a black...

Pick the sweetcorn out of that one!

In all seriousness, people don't really take their phones out and hold them, while skiing, in order to get a good GPS signal and speed reading?

Cant. Tell. If. Serious Puzzled

Long/lat etc will have been at the current point further down the hill when I stopped and took the screen shot.

Stop doubting old timer, grow a pair and try and beat my speed.
ski holidays
Fogliettaz wrote:
Anyone used Strava for skiing yet?

andy wrote:
I cancelled my strava a/c and have no intention of using it again. There's already enough people skiing out of control. Don't want Strava nutters on open pistes tyvm.

I use strava and will probably turn it on when I go skiing, not to try and beat people but for info.

Unless you know the segments then you dont know how you are faring and it would be stupid to try and achieve a decent time on a busy piste.

If used sensibly there is no reason that it cant be a bit of fun.
ski holidays
No problem if being used sensibly. Fine to use as a way of tracking where you've been. I'll do that with Endomondo or something probably. No idea if Strava automatically guesses segments for skiing? (hope not).
I'll also say it's fine to time yourself down the ski/boarder cross course or slalom course (most of which have timing kit), but not to "race" on open piste (and quite probably not permitted either by law or by T+C of your pass, and most likely not permitted by your insurance - mine certainly has that exclusion).
ski holidays
homers double wrote:
Stop doubting old timer, grow a pair and try and beat my speed.

I see this has now degenerated into a "my dick is bigger than yours" thread

Ah well, interesting to see hormonal adolescents posting on the website I guess. I wouldn't bother boasting at doing the speed postulated even if it was accurate, (which is highly unlikely), as it's actually not that fast in the scheme of things. It's a bit like saying "I can run a 100m in 16 seconds"
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy