Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need a cheap resort for week of March 19th

Poster: A snowHead
Group of 8 looking at Val Thorens, Tignes, Cervinia and maybe Alpe d'Huez (we were at AdH last year so don't really want to go straight back).

We're all on a severe budget so will be planning to so most of our cooking (and drinking) in the apartment.

In terms of general living costs for a week, do any of the above stand out to any of the snowheads as being particularly cheap or expensive?

And is there anywhere I might have missed?

Thanks for any replies!

Edit: date is March 19th, not 16th as I had originally stated.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 2-02-11 10:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If U have tight budget, this resort is not a good choice,, but how are you skiing? black red blue? or offpist? I must know to give U a advice Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
None of those resorts are at the cheap end of the spectrum.

Less known resorts in France, Italy and most of Austria will be cheaper.

If you want really cheap go to Andorra or Bulgaria.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Livigno maybe i did that date 4 years ago and got an apt package with Neilson for £265 each
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Consider french pyrenee's much much better value than alps. You've chosen some french resorts very popular with the Brits which does not add up to a cheap holiday in lots of cases. Honestly Cauterets has some ace skiing and you can stay in a bb or maybe even half board for less than an apartment in val thorens. great mountains and great skiing much under estimated. No good if you are timid or learning, suits red run skiers the best.

If you are set on the alps and France i'd go for maybe Montegenevre. French part of the Milky way so enough skiing for most. Worth a look anyways

http://www.cauterets.com

http://www.montgenevre.com/

lee

http://www.greatskiholidays.co.uk
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies. The reason for choosing those resorts was that they'd be high enough to be assured of snow that late in the season.

We vary hugely in terms of ski ability, from a couple of complete beginners (i.e. have never, ever put on a pair of skis) to people comfortable skiing reds and blacks all day.

No absolute experts, no real off-pisters, no snowboarders.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
None of those is remotely "cheap" so I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

If you are cooking and drinking at home, maybe the much vaunted "cheapness" of Austria would not be such an advantage - drinking and eating out is certainly cheaper in many resorts in Austria than in most French places, but I don't know whether apartment rental and supermarket shopping would be much different and ski hire can be quite pricey. As a guideline, a decent apartment (2 bedrooms, good cooking facilities, piste-side, in Les Saisies (a small French resort, 180 kms of lift-linked skiing), would cost 400 euros that week. But the best are already booked - it's a very popular week because it's the first after the crowded school holiday weeks and historically snow cover is about the best of the season.

You would need to ask questions about size of apartments and cooking facilities - if you are going to be catering for yourselves you don't want to find yourself in a tiny place with a microwave and two slow electric rings. Apartments will cost a lot less if you book direct (the cheap TO prices depend on cramming lots of bodies into a small space) and although there are some big and well appointed apartments in France there are also lots of cheap and fairly nasty ones. In general apartments in some of the other countries seem bigger. If you book direct though, you'll need to factor in transfers, which are often fairly expensive.

What's the budget?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
(amended thread title to March 19th instead of 16th. Apologies)

We're trying to put it together for €750 excluding food and drink. It should include ski school and equipment hire also.

Flying from Dublin.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Six candidate resorts for "good value skiing in apartments for a mixed ability group"

http://www.greatskiholidays.co.uk/search/resort-value%20mixed%20ability%20apartments

of the six I'd pick out Kitz Serre Chevalier, and Flaine. Yes thinking about it, Serre Chevalier is a good shout!

We also skied cervinia a few years back (late easter) and it was great for a mixed ability group. fantastic nursery slopes to learn on and lots of easy blues mid mountain to progress to. the more experienced skiers in the group will get the most from the runs running down from the cime biancha.
very famous run, mad long to valtourneche as well. The downside maybe to cervinia is if, for whatever reason, skiing turns out not to be for you there is little else to do.

Cervinia is also very high so no worries about snow cover (To be honest your going at a time when that should not be a worry, i'd downgrade altitude as a priority to be honest, that puts Kitzbuhel in the frame - plenty to do off slope there!)

Lee

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dingbat wrote:
We're trying to put it together for €750 excluding food and drink. It should include ski school and equipment hire also.
Flying from Dublin.

I guess you're Irish so that will be €800 with food or €1600 with food & drink. wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dingbat, U should not be worry about the snow that week u will going, johnboy, was suggesting Andorra and Bulgaria, Bulgaria is cheap, but not Andorra, if we talk about to pay for all,transfer, appartment, food, drink, skipass, hire equipe, it will not be cheaper than the resort you was thinking about, and leeacarroll, suggest Cauterets, A nice place, but not more skiing that for a weekend, What airport will be cheapest for you to go to,, it will help to give some advice for cheap resort, the flight is including in your budget,,,
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
freeheelskier,

There are usually loads of deals with this price range to Andorra. It is at the cheap end of the scale, for sure! It is very popular with the Irish.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wouldn't consider 19th March to be "late in the season". In fact, mid-March is often the very best time for snow. Almost any resort will have good conditions at that time.

That said, with the way this season is going, we might be mountain-biking by then...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For your budget and for the requirements of your group you can get a great holiday to Arinsal in Andorra - excellent school for the beginners plus for the intermediates and advanced intermediates you've got Pal linked and a free bus to nearby Arcalis included.

For your group in Apartments Sant Moritz (really smart apartments in the centre of Arinsal) including flights (Aer Lingus) from Dublin to Barcelona, transfers, lift pass, school and rentals it comes in at €612.70pp (4 per apartment). This is with basic rentals and shared transfers so in your budget you can easily upgrade to better equipment and have a private transfer.

Arinsal has excellent nightlife and some really good restaurants as well. PM me if you're interested!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dingbat, that is not sooo late! The resorts you mentioned will be open until the end of April and some good skiing can be had at the end of the season in the last few years!
latest report
Aerl lingus to GVA €200, transfers €50 return, €150 for apartment, that is Total €400. Lift pass, ski hire and food would eat up €250+. We are going the week before to Avoriaz! More expensive flight because of "Paddy's day", had to get another flight for my mother we had booked the flights in October for about €130 from Cork which is easier for us!

There are options but I would go DIY or leave it to the last week before getting a late deal from a TO! The problem is that not many TO's do end March from Ireland! Sad

If you want more info PM me! Have fun!
ski holidays
Quote:

transfers €50 return

Roy Hockley, that sounds v good value. Who is that with?
snow report
Chamexpress! To our place, which is close to GVA in fairness!
snow conditions
Thanks for the replies.

Perhaps my reluctance to book lower places is rooted in arriving in Soll one year when it was 10 degrees celcius and green. Very green.

Smile
ski holidays
Maybe just a bad year! Dont worry!
latest report
dingbat, Given the experience at Soll wanting altitude is fair enough Happy
Instead of Cervinia maybe Valtorneche a little way down the valley (10 ish miles from Cervinia by road but linked by a fast gondola via Salte. Very nice skiing that part of the piste map in (well in my opinion) stunning dolomite like scenary.
Valtourneche is circa 30-40 euro bed and breakfast per person, Apartments are available as well but not sure waht they are like. Village is dead but you could taxi into cervinia for night life. Save 150 euros per person by staying in valtourneche rather than cervinia but the skiing is the same...

freeheelskier, Cauterets has enough skiing for us. which says as about as much as you saying Cauterets has only a weekend's worth of skiing. Happy

I should have been more explicit. Lazy skiers who like to take it easy, like their 2 hour lunch and positively enjoy skiing their favourite resort runs again and again will have easily enough skiing at Cauterets. Remorsless piste bashers may well need to check out neighbouring resorts...

Lee
snow report
leeacarroll, Im understand that Cauterets is OK for U, but dingbat, has looking for resort alot bigger than Cauterets, so thats the reason I think it will be to little for them, same as for me,, when I do the pyrenees I use to ski there one or to days, it depends of the snow,,dingbat, Piau Engaly is a better choice and not to expensive, if U want to go to the Pyrenees,, but as I have say I need to know where you want to fly? and why not fly to spain? Spain have excelent skiresorts,, with long season,
snow report
dingbat, LastMinute.com today list a Gatwick flight on 19th Mar to s/c apartments in Brides Les Bains for £184pp and Chamonix at £213pp. That probably gives you change from €750 for lift passes and ski hire. Unfortunately the Dublin/LGW connecting flight might break the bank.
snow conditions
leeacarroll, I know you premised your comment IMO but I cant agree that the Scenery in Valtournenche is any way close to that of the Dolomites (Dolomiti superski)! The view of the matterhorn is not so impressive from the Cervinina side! That said, a good choice for the OP.
snow conditions
When we were in Livigno there were a lot of Irish there as Neison ran Dublin flights i think
plus it was St Pats week
if you search on google for pictures of TEEBORK there are some wild shots of a good night out there from some Irish folk
snow conditions
Everywhere in Europe will be very cheap that week to be honest but we have put a few tips there that you may find useful http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/budget-skiing.htm
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy