Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre holiday ski service after 2 days use??

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

As you might have spotted from previous threads wink , I'm off to tignes in a month, my first ever ski holiday.

I bought my Atomic Smoke Ti's at the end of last season, had them serviced and have since been up to Cairngorm with them for 2 days.

The service is only £17.50 and the place (Snowlines in Edinburgh) is pretty good.

http://www.snowlines.co.uk/acatalog/More_Info.html

Would you get it done?

Andy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No, it's a total waste of money. But since £17.50 will be about the price of 2 pints of beer in Tignes, why not ?

I'd love to stay in Tignes one day. Have a good trip. Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would go and ski for 2 or days..... then if conditions are looking good get em done
snow report
 Damien
Damien
Get your skis waxed as often as you like, it really makes a difference on flat parts of the piste, less trudging, I hate trudging, I like sliding. I'd have mine waxed every day if I could afford it. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They can do cheap wax for £5 or good stuff for £12?
snow report
 Damien
Damien
It's worth getting the good stuff put on for a longer lasting slidier slide Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Damien wrote:
It's worth getting the good stuff put on for a longer lasting slidier slide Toofy Grin

Paying for a service after 2 days skiing really is a waste of money but £12 for extra slippery wax !!! ? Just skate that extra few metres instead.

For the price of that service you could buy a pocket edging tool and a packet of green nylon dish scrubbers which is as much you'll need for sharpening & dulling off edges as needed. As long as you keep your edges right, you don't need the skis waxed / serviced until there's nearly as much scratched & gouged as there is flat base or the lack of wax makes them start 'sucking' on moist snow.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I try to get mine waxed every night. Max slippery is way to go.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
essex, Pervert. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are not able to do it yourself I would certainly get them waxed, and while there buy an edge tool with a diamond file so you can touch up your edges yourself when needed. It is much nicer skiing on well waxed properly slippery skis. You definitely do not want a base grind.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The shop seem very fair to me. Thomk I'll pop them in and see what they suggest.

As far as I can gather it's not wise to get the edges done more often than every skiing week, since you have a limited amount of metal?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wax rubs off after a few hundred meters.

Get them edged every 3 days.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold, exactly. But don't get them edged ecery 3 days, do it yourself instead.

Andythejock, it's machine base grinds that shorten the life of skis. An edging file takes away just thousands of an inch of metal and you'll change your planks long before you run out of edge material.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't they use a machine to sharpen the edges guys?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Andythejock wrote:
Don't they use a machine to sharpen the edges guys?

Not if you ask them for a hand job. Toofy Grin Seriously, it'll be no quicker for them or be done any better by machine. If they can't do the edges by hand, it's not worth trusting them with your skis.
ski holidays
Buy some Zardoz Notwax (google it)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy