Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Passo Tonale advice needed please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of booking to go here in March I have only two weeks skiing under my belt I can manage red runs slowly, could anyone give me any info on the ski tuition and any handy hints would be much appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easy enuf runs in Passo, now linked to Ponte de Legno, lower village, slightly steeper runs, but more character ; tree lined runs

The Glacier side is a little more difficult that the village side of Passo . If however you want a change of scenery and want to see the Glacier side, take Gondala down as well as up, this avoids the black. From the top of Gondala there is a chair which brings you up to a button lift, this serves a steep red. There is an easy blue however between the top of the chair and the bottom of chair.

Overall a great place to ski- hi altitude and price friendly

Most accom within 300 of a piste
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tonale in march will be great for you. Snow conditions on average will be good, any later in the season it might get a little slushy. (Its high but also the easy slopes along the valley are very sunny)

If you enjoy the reds consider another resort. Don't get me wrong Tonale would be fine now with the ponte di legno village link and the intermediate skiing their but the glacier side is limited, has 1 fantastic run - geniune black but not a rip snorter, but little else. And the main slopes along the valley are perfect for timid beginners gaining confidence. Great great resort for these.

The village is bleak in mid winter and being harsh you could describe it as a mean strip along the valley. Ponte di legno has more charm but very quiet.

Presena ski school was fine, very friendly very Italian but our group only used private tution (long story) English not that hot I seem to recall but it really does not matter, "follow" and "cheesio" (lords knows) is all you need. You learn by copying the outrageous bum thrusts your instructor does.

If you can get a good deal at Tonale fine but I put in "easy reds in italy" at http://www.greatskiholidays.co.uk and
suggested La Thuile as top, which is probably a very good shout. Tonale was second mined Happy

http://www.greatskiholidays.co.uk/search/resort-easy%20reds/country-italy

I'd maybe add in as well

Madonna di Campiglio - wonderful resort with lots of cruising blues and skiable reds (pricey? but you might get a deal in march)
Livigno - very similiar strengths and weakness to Tonale but probably a better village and better varied skiing. Transfer is longer but don't over estimate it, tonale is not that much closer

Have a great time if you do go

Lee

http://greatskiholidays.co.uk
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Came back from Passo Tonale on Saturday. I went as part of a mixed group. Myself and a friend are confident on reds and blacks and not fazed by pistes in general. Our respective other halves are the opposite. Anything over a blue is scary and they generally lack confidence, but both ski with reasonable technique.

My friend and I skied out Tonale very quickly (in less than a morning), but really liked Ponte di Legno. Like everyone has said, it has some nice tree lined runs that are fun for a day. The runs on the glacier are nice and the views are stunning. Although, they is not a lot there for a week if you are a confident skier and it could get boring. I really wanted to do some off piste lessons while I was there, but it had not snowed since New Year and everything was icy (so having discussed it with a few people, it seemed pointless). As the resorts have 100% snow making (apparently) they were using this is Ponte di Legno - so I would imagine they would still do the same in March if the season doesn't get better.

There is also a fun park with some jumps, boxes and rails that I played about on for a couple of days with easy and difficult features; and an easy snow cross run. It all made it a bit more interesting and we enjoyed playing a little on them.

We also got a free ski bus and went to Folgarida and Marilleva for a day. Again, there were some nice runs and it was a good day; especially as we were a little bored of Tonale. We were going to go to Madonna, but a couple of things got in the way. However, it is probably worth the trip.

Our other halves used the ski school Scuola Italiana di Sci e Snowboard (I think). The first day was chaos and my friend dropped out as there was a massive difference between the standard of everyone in the group. However, our other halves continued and their confidence really improved. They did a couple of hours group lessons in the morning and skied with us the rest of the time (apart from the days we left Tonale). They both commented that they felt they learnt a lot by the end of the week and there was a little prize giving by the ski school. I think that they would both speak positively of the ski school.

We actually went with Crystal and one of the reps, Chris, was really good. We did three days ski guiding with him running through Tonale, Ponte di Legno and Marilleva. However, I would say that the hotel was disappointing. We stayed at the Miramonti, which was really well located, but definitly not a 4 star hotel. It was more like a Travel Lodge. We were also a bit grumpy as my other half and I like to relax in front of the TV after skiing and have a cuddle, but the satalite TV that was advertised was Italian Sky - so no English. We felt we were a little mislead, but that just teaches us not to assume anything from a Tour Operators information. My other half also said that the spa was lovely and was probably the reason why it was a 4 star hotel. Other than that, the hotel staff were great (especially the waiters and the matradee). People in the resort seemed really friendly too. I spent a day randomly skiing with a rep from a Danish company who was just feeling a little bored and wanted someone to hang around with.

We would probably go back (as everyone had a good time); but only if it was a good deal and probably as a last minute thing when we knew there was newer snow (so I could book some off piste lessons). If there wasn't we would probably want to go somewhere with more variety (but that is probably just me being a little selfish). If you have only skied a couple of weeks up until now I would imagine that there is more than enough for you and you will have a great time. I also imagine that if there is still issues with snow they will get the canons out - so I bet there will be loads to ski.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, we all thought it was really good value. Pizza and a drink for 9 euros about 50 yards from the Lift office. Can't imagine many French resorts competing with that (now going to duck down in case I get flamed with a thousand of suggestions where you can)!

Hope that helps.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jondug_98, I stayed at the Miramonti in 2006 and would echo your comments. For a four star hotel it's a bit disappointing but in fairness it was very good value for money. My single room was little more than a broom cupboard with a bed in it, and the food was plentiful but not special. The hotel was very ugly from the outside (large yellow/orange square building) but very well placed for the lifts. The staff were very friendly and the hotel was very clean and modern, I used the swimming pool a couple of times too (but not the spa, I avoid them outside of the UK in case of naked people).

Just one further comment, do you really expect English speaking TV in an Italian hotel? Other than BBC World Service of course? If you do I expect you will often be disappointed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I used the swimming pool a couple of times too (but not the spa, I avoid them outside of the UK in case of naked people).

Just one further comment, do you really expect English speaking TV in an Italian hotel? Other than BBC World Service of course? If you do I expect you will often be disappointed.

Yeah, my other half got caught out by some naked middle aged men. She told me I wasn't to feel threatened by this, but I am not too sure Laughing

No, as I general rule I don't expect much english TV and I have been abroad many times (skiing and non-skiing trips). But then I have stayed in other hotels in non-english speaking countries and had it. I can't recall a trip abroad where I have not been able to get english news (BBC world service usually) and often at least one other english channel until this one (often MTV or something random showing 80's shows like Magnum as seemed to be popular in a very nice hotel in Morroco I stayed in).

The comment was only a small one really and was because a UK based Tour Operator was advertising that the hotel had satellite TV - we thought (wrongly) that this would have at least some UK TV or why advertise it to a UK market. I just couldn't recall a tour operator ever advertising a hotel having satellite TV before and it wouldn't usually enter my mind. We only began to think it might as it was advertised by the UK tour operator.

At the end of the day, we always take books away and I took my laptop and a few DVD's as we don't expect it. It was only a small thing that was overshadowed by disappointment with the hotel room and the hotel environment itself.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jondug_98, nearly all hotels have satellite or digital TV these days. Analogue is dying out. But I still wouldn't ever expect much English language TV, every country has it's own TV channels after all. I quite like Italian game shows, it's about the level of Italian I can understand. There was also a very useful weather/snow conditions programme every morning on one of the local channels.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

nearly all hotels have satellite or digital TV these days

Yes, thats sort of my point. We know that and the fact that the tour operator made a point of promoting it to a UK market led us to think it was something different to the usual local TV. That was all. Like I said, it's not a big issue compared to other positives and negatives of the hotel.

Quote:

There was also a very useful weather/snow conditions programme every morning on one of the local channels.

We don't speak any Italian (other then the bits and bobs the matradee taught us during the week - which was why we liked him), but I did like the weather reports from the middle aged man in what looked like full military dress uniform (with medals and everything). I don't know what he was saying, but I liked the effort he went to.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you for the replies they have been a great help, I have booked to go yo passo in March staying at the Delle Alpi hoping there will be more snow!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi all - does anybody know if you actually need the passport photo for a lift pass herre or i sit just brochure cobblers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy