Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hiking with snowboard - gear (as seen in 'Deeper)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

i just saw Deeper, the Jeremy Jones movie. In it, they use some kind oof cross country skies to do some of the flat hiking, but they seemed much shorter & wider then tradiotional cross country skis. Anybody knows this kind of material and has a product name or some links?

Tnx
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
He uses a split board in deeper not skis

Check out his website cos it's his company that makes his boards
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, all split-boards in Deeper.

There are various different brands making them (Jones of course, Burton, Never Summer, Prior, Voilé, Atomic and others). Apart from Atomic, they all now use the Voilé splitting system (Burton having discontinued their own system, apparently following Voilé claims of a patent infringement).

The Voilé system is pretty clunky, but it works very well and is near-indestructible. Your bindings mount onto aluminium plates. In ski mode, steel pins through the front of the plates allow your toes to pivot like ski-touring bindings. When re-assembled into a snowboard, the plates slide onto chunky rubber mountings which provide much of the strength and rigidity of the join. Apart from this, there are simple clips at the tip and tail and 2 sets of inter-locking metal plates just outside the bindings. You can now get bindings (at least, you can in Canada!) which integrate the mounting plate and therefore save you a lot of weight plus they also avoid your bindings being an extra inch or so off the board.

The Atomic Poacher splitboard uses a proprietary system which comes as a complete package (board, bindings, skins, crampons, etc.) As far as I know, it's had fairly mixed reviews.

You can find everything you could possibly want to know at www.splitboard.com .

I've had one for a few years now, but not had the chance to really use it anger a lot, it mostly gets used for pre/post season skinning-up in the resort for a bit of exercise and some early turns. I did use it the other day on a longer tour along with some skiers on touring gear and snowboarders on snowshoes. It was great, best tour I've done on it yet. The main issue I've found is that the snowboard boot/binding interface doesn't give you enough stiffness to use the ski edges properly when traversing on climbs. On my most recent tour, I fitted the ski-crampons right from the start and that really helped with this problem - I had no issues at all with slipping sideways and we were climbing on a south face which was fairly sun-baked and crusty.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy