Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt March 2011 -Beginners?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, looking for some advice from those in the know about Zermatt.

I organise an annual ski-trip for a medium sized, mixed ability group, and this year we are heading to Zermatt.

This event is only in it's second year (Last year it all started with Val), and we have a number of beginners. The group ability level is mixed, some very experienced, but for some last year was their first time on skis.

What I am after, is some extra info for the beginners.

From research Zermatt is often rated as poor for beginners. This appears to be partly due to altitude and situation making some of the runs a little bleak/exposed, but as we are going late March I am hoping this will not be an issue.

Secondly, I understand it may be difficult to create longer linked itineries on blue runs.

Is this second point correct, and if so can anyone offer any recent advice on good areas for beginners? Any advice/info would be very much appreciated. Is it worthwhile getting the full area liftpass for beginners?

Also, linked to this, what is the grading like in Zermatt? I ask because last year in Val I found most runs fairly steep in the grade (bearing in mind that France also has green). I mean, they were fine snowplough turning down face, so should be fine....wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cervinia on the other side of the Mountain is probably better for beginners with some nice wide blues and quite easy reds. The experienced among the group can still ski Zermatt from there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I second this
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The bluey area around Gornergrat down to Riffelberg is fine for beginners, although the runs aren't that long.

Up on the glacier is all nearly flat, as glaciers often are. They needn't be very afraid of the reds up there.

Zermatt is an area that certainly rewards the more capable skier, but like most such "beginners shouldn't come here!" areas, there's a whiff of BS about it.

If they're still at "snowploughing" level though, as you hint, they could find the area quite limiting. There are little beginner zones on each of the main sectors, but they're tiny little nursery slope things - not fun for someone in their second week. Get them some indoor practice to get them parallel before you go!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IMO a pretty poor area for Snowploughing beginners! 3-4 week skiers should be fine. One year we organised a mixed ability group to go there, I was a little dissapointed for the beginner group! They had the beauty of the scenery to make up for it, but Cervinia would have been a far better choice for those that were new to skiing! I would not say beginners should not go there, but there would be many better choices for the group as a whole. That year I did not organise the group but it was our group's 10th anniversary and wanted something special, we always get newcomers every year and that was not the best resort for them! That said, scenery, mountain food and great apres ski makes Zermatt a great choice for the overall holiday experience! Have fun!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If they snowploughed down Face they don't exactly sound like easily intimidated beginners!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
leedssteve, Zermatt should be no problem for beginners,, alot more better than for example chamonix,,
Have a nice trip,, Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zermatt has made a lot of effort for beginners in the last couple of years and as Mr Technique, says the three blue runs on the Gornegrat area will be very good for them to get their confidence and if they have a problem with the chairs they can use the train instead, also agree that the red runs on the Matterhorn side could be alright depending how confident they are especially the one below the Matterhorn.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd avoid Cervinia (in my limited experience). I am sure beginners have coped with Zermatt in the past and the folks in your group will be fine Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The run from the very top right down into Valtournenche is well worth the trip over to Cervinia.

The rest of Cervinia is indescribably boring.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Pam, that was a poor joke by me about Face - I didn't take them down it, although we did have an amusing 'didn't realise it was red' situation on the way back from Folie one day ! Happy

I'm really pleased with the general feel of the response - Mr Technique - I definitely plan to get them down xscape @ cas a few times before we head off to get them parallel and stopping properly, and thanks for such detailed area info. They were doing well on chairlifts by the end of last holiday, and with lessons I would hope they could have a go at some easier reds.

Then, as some of you have pointed out, there are those amazing big mountain views, good food and strong apres which from last year's experience are equally important to the newer members as the actual skiing - a couple of them want to spend time milling around the village etc.

This year the group size has increased and we have got a few red/black intermediate types, so I'm really hoping this will work out for everyone.

Thanks again for the tips.

Question for me now...what are the orange/patrolled but unpisted runs like? In Val lots of the blacks were unpisted mogel fields - similar thing?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
leedssteve, Yes pretty much.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colin B wrote:
leedssteve, Yes pretty much.

sounds good to me!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy