Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Torn Medial Ligament - Ouch....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So Mrs MA has only gone and torn a medial knee ligament...... Sad

The odd thing is that she doesn't know how she's done it but, while skiing and mountain biking, has had a fair bit of discomfort for a while. It's been sussed out by a sports injury clinic who advise that it's a slight tear which will need a few weeks' rest and one or two more visits to the physio.

Exercise is currently restricted to walking on the flat. Fortunately, our next foreign jaunt isn't until mid-March but a few trips to Scotland before then may just have to be put on hold.

Has anyone had anything similar? If so, were there any long-term effects?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did my medial lateral in quite a big way skiing into a pile of machine snow by mistake in the days before helmets when goggles misted up (well, mine did anyway!) I found I could ski a couple of days later with the aid of one of those neoprene knee-supports with articulated metal rods down the side. The shop just blandly said it replaced the medials! I still carry it in my ski-bag, but have not had to use it for quite some time. the doc in the UK was not horrified that I had skied on it, but said I needed excercise to strengthen muscles around it. No lasting ill-effects and I am both old and lardy - and was at the time. Best of luck, but I think you will be OK.

snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm only reciting what I've been told recently by docs and physios, but the MCL is one of the ligaments that normally heals quite well naturally. The ACL (my issue) is a sod because it does not self-heal and I'm going to have surgery shortly, but I also tweaked my MCL and they say that, with care, the MCL should make a full recovery without the need for surgery..

Good luck with it all.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict, tweaked mine a few years ago on our first morning avoiding a stationary family at the exit to a chairlift just before my first run.. Rested for a few days, skied a bit, and a couple of physio sessions NO real problems since, although I did have a bit of pain on the next holiday if I skied for too long.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dr John,
Quote:
I'm going to have surgery shortly
Good luck with that! My wife just came out of hospital this morning after having her ACL fixed. Up and about on crutches one day after the surgery! To be honest it's bloody amazing what they do these days. We bumped into a colleague of hers in the corridors of the hospital. He had had a hip replacement two days before. He was also up and about and able to stand without any crutches Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I tore a medial on the third day of a trip to Sauze' a few years ago. Skied the rest of the day with slight discomfort but nothing compared to the bruised ribs from landing on the end of my pole. I couldn't walk the next morning so went to the Doc's. He strapped it and advised a brace likeChris Bish, describes. Said I'd also possibly torn muscle between my ribs but probably not broken. I asked if I could still ski and he said instructors come in, get treatment and go streight back to the slopes. I waited 'till the afternoon! wink No problems skiing with the brace but not comfortable to walk... untill 2 days later, I fell again and broke 2 ribs. That stopped me dead.
It took a while to heal completely and I got the odd twinge for a long time afterwards. Then someone asked me how my knee was and I couldn't remember it stopping bothering me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steilhang, cheers. My physio this morning told me they like to get you up and about the same day, depending on the chosen method of repair. I'll be updating with news as and when it happens.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Firstly, sorry to hear that your OH is injured - the upside is that while the injury hurts, it will not need surgery (as the other SHs have said). I sustained a grade 2+ tear to my MCL on Christmas Day in les Arcs.

Hinged knee-brace is the way to go - I am using one from a company called PUSH. It is working very well.
Then physio, lots of gym rehab and general conditioning. I am luck to be able to access a well equiped gym which includes power plates to maximise the rehab and conditioning.

As I intend to ski twice more this season I am throwing maximum of resources at this injury - lots of gym as indicated. Also both NHS and private physio. I am also on a course of hyperbaric oxygen therapy - send me a pm or just google it to get more info; our local MS society have two chambers and I am half way through the series of 20 sessions.

The acid test will be when I clip-in to my skis on Friday 18th Madeye-Smiley

Ian
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dr John, best of luck I had mine repaired (hamstring reconstruction) in 2005 it is as good as new now, I wish I could say the same about my other knee Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It'll heal by itself, I''m told by my doctor when I tore mine.

The key is lots of physio, and follow through with the exercise given out by the physio. Do it religiously, the muslces will get stronger and be supportive of the site.

A lot of these injuries are not detrimental in themselves but rather the long term potential of further demage when the knee is left weak. So Ian Kenvyn is doing it right. Hit the gym as much as one can with the specific knee strengthening exercises. It'll be ok in time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John

It's also important to exercise the knee well before any ACL surgery to get a decent muscle base. I wasn't given that advice and post-op recovery was terrible as a result. Quads etc withered away rapidly due to lack of exercise immediately after the op which meant it took ages to get enough strength to do any proper physio. I met others who had nothing like my problems as they'd been told to build up the muscle pre-op.

I did my ACL 3 weeks before a family ski trip, somehow managed the week ok (any thought of pulling out at that stage and my OH would have been using my balls as christmas decorations !), then went skiing for the next 3 yrs without the op and no great problems except a few aches after each day.

Had the op and suffered due to lack of muscle building before. Started to regret ever having the op as I'd learnt to get by and now felt worse. The saviour was finding the gym and I managed to put in enough work to squeeze in a ski trip. Best I'd ever felt skiing as the exercise made the difference, no aches, longer days in the snow.

I'm not a fitness nut but it all pays off.

Good luck
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steilhang, Even a broken neck only got a day in bed, they had to make sure everything was working after the op.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict,

Did my MCL about 10 years ago: after 6 weeks in a knee-brace, what Ian Kenvyn and abc said: Lots of rehab and strengthen the muscles around the knee.

No problems since.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict, I didn't tear my MCL but I sprained them both badly racing in the Chill Factore in August, basically the docs and the physio said no skiing or strenuous sport/exercise for 6-8 weeks. As it turns out it took me a few weeks to be able to walk properly again and I only put the skis back on a couple of weeks ago but that was partly because I already had underlying issues with my knee that I'd been having physio for already and also because the physio wanted an MRI scan of my knees to be sure there was no ACL damage before increasing my physio programme!

As everyone else has said just lots of physio and strengthening the muscles around the knee - turns out root cause of most of the problems I have with my knees is that the surrounding muscles aren't strong enough.

Now I'm starting back on the bike and the skis not having any problems with the MCLs, back to the old pains elsewhere Toofy Grin so I'd imagine Mrs MA will make a full and rapid recovery Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy