Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which helmet is good value for money?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I am currently planning my skiing holidays in Les Trois Valleys in France and really excited!
I have all my equipment together so far but was thinking of buying a safety helmet since it seems to be safer.

I had a look at a couple of websites like this one but found it all quite confusing. I dont wanna go into a shop and buy some overpriced helmet I just use once a year. So needs to be on the cheap side but still good quality. Do you have any recommendations on which helmet I should go for? And experiences?
Cheers!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any helmet should be rated and be fit for purpose.... So a cheap one will protect the noggin.

Go and try a few on and then decide what feels good and maybe the more expensive one will have a feature you like
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wonderworld, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Don't buy a helmet on the internet - fit is crucial and you can't tell which will suit your head. Even in the same nominal size, different makes and models will vary (like shoes). As daehwons says, if you're just looking for safety, then the cheapest will be best VFM (Lidl and Aldi and T K Maxx all worth checking for bargains). they should fit snug but comfortable - so if you bend over with head down, and strap undone, it should stay on your head - and when you look in mirror and push it backwards and forward on your head, it should move your eyebrows. But if too tight will give you stinking headache.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wonderworld, Have you a Decathlon near you? They have some good value ones.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No guarantee of fit, but the K2 Clutch Pro was a good buy last season £55 including headphones in the earpieces, ideal for listening to a spot of Wagner on the slopes. And I do mean The Wagner, not the guy from X-Factor Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

K2 Clutch Pro was a good buy last season £55 including headphones in the earpieces

Yes, that is a good buy. I don't like Wagner, on or off the slopes - I find Handel and Bach preferable. wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also,

I dont reccomend doing this as its not really fair to the shop but go try some on and find the one you want and then see if its a fair price in the shop, I would think if its within 10% of what you can find it online then buy it at the higher price from the shop.... if they want £££'s more and you know its overpriced then at least ask for a price match or discount and give them the opportunity, if they dont then buy online

All this is easy if you have internet on your phone
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

K2 Clutch Pro was a good buy last season £55 including headphones in the earpieces

Yes, that is a good buy. I don't like Wagner, on or off the slopes - I find Handel and Bach preferable. wink

There's not much can touch Britten or Elgar as you hammer it down an empty piste. I must remember to upload some suitably dramatic music for the trip in a few weeks time. The switch from Renegade Master to something a bit more traditional might just be what my skiing needs Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"Ride Of The Valkyries" would be a cool one to hammer down the slope to
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wonderworld, As others have said the best value one is the one that fits you!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Seconded on decathlon being great value. If you are willing to tell us approximately where you live we might be able to recommend other good value stores nearby? aj xx
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a brand new range of feature packed helmets (and goggles) at VERY sensible prices, ski-helmets-uk.co.uk is where you can search through and purchase, theres an email link to ask any questions all helmets are between £32 & 37.50 depending on style/size, (goggles are £20-24).... and right now there's free delivery on everything Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
apexskihelmets wrote:
I have a brand new range of feature packed helmets (and goggles) at VERY sensible prices, is where you can search through and purchase, theres an email link to ask any questions all helmets are between £32 & 37.50 depending on style/size, (goggles are £20-24).... and right now there's free delivery on everything Smile

You also have a brand new customer who doesn't like spam from a forum - get in touch with the admin team if you want to advertise.

I am pretty curious about what a feature packed helmet is - one that does more than protect your head, fit nicely and keep your ears warm? I'm not curious enough to go to your website.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wonderworld, The K2 clutch is good, I have the K2 rant and it's a decent fit and they are both reasonably priced. Like the others are saying, try a few on and find a brand and size that suits your head then have a look if you can get it cheaper online! Giro are good all-round fitting and some have adjustment. Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
apologies to you monium, point taken....no offence intended to you or anyone
ski holidays
apexskihelmets, your website doesn't run well in Safari at all. When I did manage to scroll along to see the goggles I noticed they were blatant rip offs of Oakleys Laughing
latest report
Costco are doing Bolle goggles as usual this year but also now have a bolle helmet. I think for circa £65 you can have a reasonable helmet & photochromatic goggles.
latest report
These are good value and are what we all have here - they have an adjuster on the back which helps with the fit. They can be bought on line, but Sports Direct also have stores which sell them so they can be tried on - the web site has a store finder - my local one is Basildon and they stock them. I tried on countless dearer ones (and was prepared to splash the cash), but none of those I tried fitted as well as one of these or had the same build quality IMV. They do white for ladies.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/no-ski-helmet-mens-901005?src=google
snow report
On those Apex helments, spot the HUGE gaps between goggles and helmet. Brain freeze anyone?
snow report
Best advice I was given was to make sure I tried the helmet on with my goggles as not all lids and suitable fit for all goggles. Ski Warehouse has a branded lid called "big air" at just £20. Almost identical lid at the posher Cotswold Camping is £50. Solid helmet, not the most fashionable but hey it will stop brain damage for just 20 sheets!! rolling eyes
snow report
i've been using an osbe helmet for the last two years and just bought a Head Pro audio helmet (£60) which is very comfortable for me. only issue with it is when you put your goggles up then tend to flip off. will have to get something to hold goggle band.
osbe was good also but made my face look like is was being squashed.. after seeing a russian with same helmet decided to move on.. i reconned i looked as bad as him.. Smile
latest report
Quote:

after seeing a russian with same helmet decided to move on.

Laughing
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

after seeing a russian with same helmet decided to move on.

Laughing

most fun i had was on the the ski-bus from courmayeur to la thaile which was full of russians..
boy have they given up queuing!!
snow report
I would recommend the K2 Rant Pro. I finally decided to buy a helmet for this season and decided on the Rant Pro, it is veyr comfy and hasn't let me down, I am officially a helmet convert. I think it is something of a bargain!
snow conditions
Decathlon at approx £25. Protected my head well enough in a high speed downhill racer type crash, but not left hand with 2 broken bones!!!
snow report
i wear a R.E.D trace II helmet. very comfy at 65 euros not to bad on price either.
colinstone
Quote:

Protected my head well enough in a high speed downhill racer type crash, but not left hand with 2 broken bones

know the feeling my helmet protected my head but my wrist came out worst with 4 broken bones Sad not to good when i'm out working for season in les arcs
ski holidays
I recently got the Bern Baker Hard Hat - I think thats what its called. It's not certified as a full EEC regulation helmet, so is more for the smaller impacts than extreme speed crashes. It was £80 from Snowtrax, but was the most comfortable one that I tried, and proved very warm (and useful) in La Plagne last month.

I definitely endorse all the other posters views in that try before you buy. Some of the helmets I tried, even though nominally the right size, were really uncomfortable. And definitely take your goggles with you. My googles are larger than most, and it was a slightly uncomfortable squeeze to fit them under the peak of the helmet.
snow report
Anything that is comfortable to wear, and saves your life.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy