Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Winter is the new Spring...

Poster: A snowHead
Normally our late january trip is filled with stormy days and deep powder...
A bit like this Toofy Grin

This year it was somewhat different! No point dwelling on it -so on we got on with lots of sunny filled days touring to some remote spots around the Aiguilles Rouges and Italy.

Firstly A nice warm up day on piste in Flaine with a long lunch at the Gites des Gers Smile

We had heard reports of a deep snowpack through the tunnel in the Aosta Valley so off we went to La Thuile and the first adventure of the week. The plan for the day was 1.5 hour walk up to "Bella Valleta" a peak on the French/Italian border at 2800m.

James (my brother) leaving the top of the drag lift above La Rosiere

A nice Italian view of Mt Blanc

Jim nearing the top - check out had strong the wind had been....that snow was like corrugated iron!

First turns from the top heading back into Italy

Jim found some decent spring snow on the sunny aspects

The best turns of the trip so far

The rest of the 1600m desecent was certainly interesting......every type of snow known the mankind, some might have called it educational.
So we headed back through the tunnel and rehydrated with Pale Ale and burgers at the MBC in chamonix

The next day we headed to Les Contamines looking for some spring snow on the mostly easterly facing slopes. The problem being that it really never went above -10 all day so everything was rock hard!!

It was time to crack out the skins/snowshoes with some touring off the back of Flaine in the Desert de Plate nature reserve

A quick run down from the DMC

Which got us the bottom of the "face du jour", The Pointe de Plate (2554m)

Chris leading the way on skis

Jim enjoying the views over towards Chamonix

Nearing the top, it really is pretty spectacular and remote in this reserve. I have seen Chamois, Ibex, Golden eagles, Bearded Vultures and Ptarmigan over the years.

And yes it always holds the goods as well....

Thats me dropping in first

Sometimes the photographer gets to go first....NehNeh

The rest of the trip was just Jim and I, so the following day we headed back into the Desert de Plate as the forecast was for cloud building.

We just about got up to the Col de la Portette

Clouds building

Then it socked right in

so we felt our way down the desecent and headed back up to flaine for a beer,

The Desert de Plate is not the place to be in zero vis due to the very large Lapiaz (rock crevasses)
This is what they look like in summer

The last few days were spent in Chamonix hiking for lines.
We had spied an untracked line up above the Index Chair at Flegere, so after abit of snowshoeing,
Couloir climbing

and a couple of sketchy moves with the ice axe

We were rewarded with an untracked face (in Chamonix 2 weeks after the last snow!)

The last day was spent on a biggish tour off the back of Flegere, Firstly over the Col des Croches which got us below the
Pointe Alphonse Favre
a Transition to Crampons and Axe for the steep climb up the couloir

Topping out of the couloir for some ridge mixed action

Jim watching his step along a narrow section

The final climb to the summit of the Alphonse Favre. Cold and windy up here, but very atmospheric

The turns down the Glacier du Mort were OK, but after over 2 weeks with no snow it was more about the day out.

All in all I had a fun week and although not neck deep pow, we did get mostly sunny skys. But lets hope for a return to Winter.....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nicely done!
no pics of the runout from the Glacier Mort? Skullie
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
norris, brilliant thread/photos
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead fantastic. - 10 maximum temperature all day in Les Contamines sounds like winter to me!! Just a dry winter. wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno, That runout is evil on a slowboard..... Shocked
I was glad to see the Train station at Buet.....

pam w, guess your right actually it just looked like spring!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cracking trip report... good to see some very good pics. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
really great pics there, makes me wish I was younger, fitter and braver!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

makes me wish I was younger, fitter and braver!

I was about to say "me too". Then I reflected that if I were fitter and braver I wouldn't need to be younger. wink We have only ourselves to blame for not being up and out there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Outstanding report and pics snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fantastic! Although some of those ridges Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
norris, great work. The snow Gods owe you!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
norris, nice stuff as always, good to see you're making the most of the prevailing conditions.

This website needs more TRs like this.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
norris, Realy nice photos Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cracking stuff! snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

This website needs more TRs like this

As an old biddy who sticks to the pistes except the odd little foray, I enjoy these reports and pictures enormously - both because of the sheer beauty of the mountains and because it's great to know that people like the OP (and others) are out there doing it. I admire their initiative and energy and do feel privileged to share those experiences. I just dabble in mountain walking - in the summer - and never many hours march from a car park - but even those little glimpses give me some insight into that wonderful world out there - up there.

In winter the nearest I get is the hike over the ridge from Notre Dame de Bellecombe to Praz sur Arly. A very gentle 40 minutes, but with such wonderful views (and normally so few people) it feels like more of an adventure than it is.

Thanks, chaps. snowHead
latest report
pam w,
Quote:

As an old biddy who sticks to the pistes except the odd little foray, I enjoy these reports and pictures enormously
+ 1 Very Happy
snow conditions
pam w, didn't you post a photo from an Autumn hike up there a while back? It looked awesome, would love to see more and some winter ones too Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Swirly, aHa! Yes, my Snowheads calendar picture of the Col de Very. that was an extraordinary day - very cold (minus 6 or so) with a scattering of snow but all the autumn vegetation still about, and cattle out quite high - it was mid October. Not quite in the same league, though it is good to remind ourselves that winter sports aren't just about riding up lifts and down pistes. maybe I should do a TR on a couple of hours potter (with Beaufort and jambon sandwiches) on my snowshoes. Guaranteed no heart-stopping ridges. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy