Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

morzine pricing ?

Poster: A snowHead
Am off to Morzine for 5 days on Saturday self catering and just wondering what the best sort
of things to take with us as will have about 20 kg spare between us flying with easyjet.
Knowing how expensive it is likely to be was going to take out things like sausages, bacon etc .

Just wondering what are the supermarkets like price wise for the important things like
beer etc . I know easyjet's policy is 20 kg but is there some tolerance ie 22/23kg ?

Many thanks snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easyjet, tolerance? Have you ever flown with Easyjet before? 21kg and you could get hit with charges. They aren't the worst, but they are pretty close.

Price wise the supermarkets in the town itself are fairly expensive - like shopping in Waitrose or M&S for everything. It's not outrageous, but you will notice it is more than Asda. If you can, go to a big Hypermarket. They have much better prices and a better range of stuff, plus bigger packs of things if you have a group to cater for - the little stores on the high street sell small packs of stuff that tourists need.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In case this isn't a wind-up -There's a Carrefour at the bottom of town (behind Intersport). Got to be cheaper than carrying beer to France.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Monium wrote:
Easyjet, tolerance? Have you ever flown with Easyjet before? 21kg and you could get hit with charges. They aren't the worst, but they are pretty close.

Price wise the supermarkets in the town itself are fairly expensive - like shopping in Waitrose or M&S for everything. It's not outrageous, but you will notice it is more than Asda. If you can, go to a big Hypermarket. They have much better prices and a better range of stuff, plus bigger packs of things if you have a group to cater for - the little stores on the high street sell small packs of stuff that tourists need.

Thanks thought easyjet might be tight on tolerance . Not to bad then for supermarket prices ,
will stock up on essentials and buy beers out there
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skim wrote:
In case this isn't a wind-up -There's a Carrefour at the bottom of town (behind Intersport). Got to be cheaper than carrying beer to France.

Handy to know , allways carry a case of beer if going away for a few days , only need
a few clothes so may as well use the weight allowance . Used to dot cans around the mountain
then stop off and have one mid ski , i refuse to pay 6-7 euros for a pint !
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andolini, there's a Carrefour Market in St Jean d'Aulps which is fine. You could catch a bus there I'm sure or it's a short taxi ride from Morzine. I know the prices are steeper for us these days with the Euro and everything but can't say that the supermarket beer is expensive there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lou, andolini, - not sure that Carrefour at St Jean d'Aulps is going to be cheaper than the one in Morzine is it? andolini, are you hiring a car or using a transfer bus - if a car then your problems are solved by going to the larger Carrefour. If not then the one in Morzine will be fine - and there is Eds in Morzine too. All must be better than Shopi in Les Gets which I only go to when I have to.

And there is me, always thinking about sticking a few of my favourite teabags in my luggage and you are going to lug some beer! Enjoy.

I do like to bring some sausages with me, but that's in the car - and if bacon is your thing then a pack of that won't take up lots of space.

Boring things - I believe some French s/c places are completely stripped out so you have to start from scratch. Just depends what you are renting - I always leave cleaning stuff, dishwasher/washing up liquid, herbs, mustard, bit of oil and things like that and just hope if we are let for about three weeks that the first lot of guests don't use it all up and not replace.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pamski, haven't been to the one in Morzine, probably unfairly compared it to the Shopi!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andolini, one thing to take is a handful of dishwasher tablets. Also maybe a J cloth and a scourer. Weigh nothing, and save you buying packs. Definitely take bacon and sausages - would freeze the lot overnight before travelling. Tea bags. A couple of stock cubes, your favourite seasonings, maybe some little jars of things like stir-fry black bean sauce. If you just plan, say, 1 rice meal, take 1 cup of rice in a poly bag. Ditto pasta - just take enough for the one meal. If you can't live without ketchup, take a half empty bottle from home. Take some things like plain flour (for sauces etc), sugar as well (in small quantities in poly bags) If you like cheap snacks on the slopes, take a pack of mini Mars Bars or similar. A kg bag of basic porridge oats? Small cheap salt and pepper.

some of the above is based on my experience of end of let cleaning. People buy whole packets of stuff and after a few weeks there are 6 packs of rice, all with one cupful used and enough ketchup for an army. But that's in places where it isn't all cleared out by the cleaner. wink As Pamski says, you will find some places have nothing - no washing up liquid even.

One thing often left is a 95% full bottle of that French "sirop" in lurid colours.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andolini, the first thing to say is that where you'll really save your money is by taking a packed lunch on the mountain. Coffees, hot chocolates and beer on the mountain really adds up. And you'll be lucky to get away with spending under 15 euros a head if you eat on the mountain at lunchtime.

One or two meals on the mountain will easily nullify any savings you make in the supermarket.

There's a cheap and cheerful supermarket called E.D., which is on the Route de la Plagne (the long, straight road heading out of town from Super Morzine) - and is a bit like Lidl / Aldi.

To be honest, you'll probably find that - as long as you don't go shopping with an absolutely fixed shopping list then - your shopping bill in Carrefour will be no more expensive than the equivalent Tesco outing. Some things are more expensive (meat, imported fruit and veg, imported UK food) and some things are cheaper (French fruit and veg, cheese, beer). You'll only find it expensive if you go into the store with a "I have to have skinless chicken breast" shopping list.

Wine varies, but E.D. does very good wine at very good prices. (It's a bit like Morrisson's in that respect - Mr Morrisson apparently likes his wine so they always hire a really good wine buyer.)

Things like mini Mars bars and such, which are European-wide, are the same price as the UK. But do be careful - Mars bars cost 10 euros for a 10 pack in Carrefour and around 4 euros each on the mountain.

I completely agree with pam w on dishwasher tablets, bacon and sausages (if you can't live without).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FlyingStantoni,
Quote:

supermarket called E.D.

and there was me thinking it was Eds - just what I have heard friends in Morzine calling it. Things we learn on here!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pamski wrote:
FlyingStantoni,
Quote:

supermarket called E.D.
and there was me thinking it was Eds - just what I have heard friends in Morzine calling it. Things we learn on here!!

I'm not sure I'd warrant my description. The only reason I call it that is that some friends do.

Besides, Ed's sounds very "unFrench" to me.

But, as MrsFlyingStantoni will attest, I've been wrong before...

...and looking at their web site I don't fancy my chances!

(And it turns out that they're owned by Carrefour anyway!)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spuds, 60 cents a kilo.

Gosh.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We found the Carrefour (below Intersport head of the valley) very reasonable when we went although being in the bottom of town it was up hill everywhere on the way back carrying the bags. Gasp. Not good with wobbly legs. Note they do have a car park if you have a car and are not right in the centre.

I would not bother with sausages you are abroad and the Divots (or something like that) are well worth trying. Toad in the hole with lashings of thick onion gravy seemed do go down ok when I made it. It is in the Haute-Savoie which I thought was a big pig and ham area after all. I am with pam w take spices, cleaning stuff, and dish washer tablets (bought a box and had to leave 3/4s).

Use the bar happy hours when beer is half price, then go "home" and drink there. Like all super markets the beer on offer will be cheap, just embrace what ever it is and not insist on a specific brand that will be up to double the cost. Again on holiday I like to try "local" stuff or what is the point. Apart from the snow & hill that is.

Pizza takeaway just round the corner too!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bear in mind that any food you take in your hold luggage is likely to freeze during a flight, so don't take any food that has already been frozen.
snow conditions
And eating on the mountain does not need to be outrageous.
One of our favourite places is the Creperie at the bottom of the Atray lift in Morzine - great omelettes, salad and bread for about 7 euros, a ham crepe + sugar one and a drink for 10 euros. Nathalie is delightful, and Ivan her husband does all the cooking, mother and father wheeled in when really busy. Also had a ham crepe topped with an egg and a cup of coffee yesterday at the bottom of Chery Nord for just over 7 euros (skiing on my own yesterday, strictly no alcohol!)

Vegetable soup available all over the place from 5 to 9 euros and usually good. - I know, I can make a huge pot of it at home for that much, and I do, but I am using their seating, enjoying their views, water to drink and probably the loos.

Our young used to buy wine on tap from the supermarket in the plastic barrels - we have a collection of them downstairs now - can't remember the cost but if you bought the most expensive one and decanted it, it was apparently drinkable.
latest report
Some very useful tips here , thanks very much we won't have a car so it looks like ed's for general
shop . With regard to taking out food was going to take sausages , bacon , a small joint of beef , a pack of mince
pack of ham (sandwiches ) .

Basics - pasta enough for 2 people

Rice - Enough for one meal

Gravy powder - enough for one meal

Curry sauce - Plastic container

20 x tea bags

Pack of Mars Bars or Similar

Will only have 4 nights to cook for so thinking sausage and mash , roast beef dinner, spaghetti bolognaise ,
curry from left over beef .

This would only leave veg/ bread , cheese and extra beer to buy .

I have a foldable cool bag so plan to freeze everything that needs it the night before then it can defrost on the way to
the resort apt , then straight in the fridge so no chance of anything getting above fridge temperature.

Pam , thanks for the lunchtime tip . Does'nt bother carrying the full 20 kg in weight as makes use of the space
and it won't involve much moving around as we are door to door from geneva . Good shout on the dishwasher tablets also packet soups .

Cooking not a problem as has oven / hob .
snow report
andolini, hope that you have a great time -
we have just got back from a very good lunch on Mt Chery at the Grande Ourse - don't do this usually more than once a week! - well when you have friends staying they always want to take you somewhere good for lunch - today just him and me as his birthday. Really can't better the food on the mountain round here and it makes a change from all the Savoyard specialities.
20 tea bags.... I could make 7 of my Earl Grey last us for a whole week...
And really good to bring your own Mars bars etc - I don't do that sort of thing but the other half of the chair lift is usually having a munch at something chocolatey along the way.
latest report
andolini, Pam knows I will second her recommendation for Nathalies creperie - it's superb value and delicious Very Happy (NB it's cash only there)
snow report
Hi
A group of us are going to Morzine for the first time and I was wondering if there was any where we can eat our pack lunch? Trying to keep the price down slightly for the group.
Many thanks
latest report
Dont think its hijacking .....
What are peoples views (esp the restaurant owners) on taking a sandwich into a restaurant on the slopes , buying a drink and chips and eating your own sandwich with it?
Seems fair for the poorer folk to me , did it a few times. Wouldnt dream of eating a sandwich and not buying anything but it seems ok to me to buy drinks and a plate of chips and have your own sambo.
Views?
snow conditions
Hi Hawkwind

We were going to do just that, chips, beer etc but two of the group have colitis so trying to keep the price down but also don't want them to get ill 😷
Would be interested to know if this is frowned on
Thanks
latest report
Absolutely not.

You're taking up seats and using it like an apres bar. There are plenty of piste side rocks to take your sandwiches to.

Chatel have a picnic room easily accessible and signed @ Pleine dranse.
snow report
not talking about a restaurant , more those self service larger places.
My thinking is they would rather the business from my drinks and extras than not?
latest report
@hawkwind, not if it's busy and someone else would also be buying spag bols x4

That said I carry a mini roll (about 3 mouthfulls) with ham and cheese for 11ses and have no compunction about eating it where I like.

Anyone complains I will stand outside for 2 mins to consume.
ski holidays
So far the concensus is its very much frowned upon.
ski holidays
There are a few picnic rooms around the PdS.
I know a few and posted on here a couple of years back to see if other people knew of others.
The ones I know are:
Top of the Pleney, Top of Nyon, Plaine Dranse, Super Chatel, Mt Chery.
Ones that used to exists but I have not been to for years: Top of Linga Gondola, La Croix Torgon, St Jean Station Gondola. Abondance Gondola.
snow report
There are picnic rooms shown on the piste maps, or sit on the side of the mountain. Easy.

I wouldnt start eating a sandwich in someones restaurant that I hadnt purchased there, neither would I pull a bottle of wine out of my handbag and start drinking it instead of buying theirs. Many places now have no picnic signs.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Many places now have no picnic signs.

proving just how ghastly and impolite people are that they would even consider it.
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
Bear in mind that any food you take in your hold luggage is likely to freeze during a flight, so don't take any food that has already been frozen.

Really?! You find your suncream and shampoo are frozen when you reach your hotel? Don't believe you.
latest report
@James the Last,

LOL @ ghastly for munching a ham sandwich Smile
im sure there are worse crimes humans commit Wink
ski holidays
@hawkwind, there is a newish picnic area at the base of the poma lift at La Turche, Les Gets. And you can always stroll over to La Grande Laniere to get a beer or coke.
snow report
@Pamski, dont know Morzine at all but what are picnic areas? just like what you get in the UK? sort of wooden benches? or are they covered and stuff?
Be popular in spring im sure but way too cold in winter to sit outside!
ski holidays
You may or may not know that there is a limit of 1kg of meat per person for duty free import to Switzerland and the duty to be paid if you are in excess of that is CHF17 / GBP13.60 per kilo. If you are transiting Switzerland (eg flying to GVA then driving to Morzine) you have to verbally declare the import and may be required to pay a deposit equal to the import duty which you can reclaim at the exit boarder.

https://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/en/home/information-individuals/travel-and-purchases--allowances-and-duty-free-limit/transit-through-switzerland/food-and-non-alcoholic-beverages.html

If you forget to verbally declare it and get stopped/discovered, don't expect any sympathy.

If you are staying in the Swiss part of the Portes du Soleil and think you can do your shopping in France and ski it back to Switzerland beware there is a Customs post at the bottom of the Mossettes lift and I have seen it manned on occasion. Chance of being caught low but it would really spoil the holiday mood.....
ski holidays
@hawkwind, the one I refer to is covered I think, and has those benches and tables all joined together. Hell to sit down at when wearing ski boots!
latest report
Customs post bottom of Mossettes? Wow. Never noticed. Used to be one at the bottom of the Cubore drag. Never manned.
latest report
@Pamski,
Deadly , sure they would be perfect on a budget , just stick the sambos and a few drinks in the rucksack.Food would be even better than those tray places Smile few drinks apre with the money saved!
Never seen a picnic area before if they are covered and heated then they sound perfect
snow report
sign in the Chang A Bang restaurant Avoriaz (which is great value and fun) says "picnickers will be shot and survivors shot again" or something similar.. Toofy Grin
snow report
@hawkwind, they are huge great rooms "salle hors sac"
latest report
The price of watermelon and pumpkin was shocking , I would load up on them. Milk is often that UHT muck so maybe 4 litres of gold top, must be in luggage not carry on.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy