Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much spending monet for a week in Tignes?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I'm going on my first ever skiing trip abroad in a month with my girlfriend and of our pals.

We're off to Tignes and have already paid for half board (ie brekkie and evening meal), Espace Killy week pass and I'm having 3 lessons with TDC.

How much cash do you reckon I'll need for 7 nights and for lunches on the slopes? How much have you spent on your week long trips to the French alps?

Cheers for any thoughts!

Andy

PS - do I need to take a photo for the lift pass?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
no photo needed

and take as much as you can afford!!!!! everything can be as cheap or expensive as you want
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
£20 per day for lunch, £50 for every big night out you've got planned. If you're just having a couple of quiet beers in sensible bars £20 will cover it.

No photo required for lift pass.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Andythejock, As your girlfriend is with you, you may need a fair amount of monet if you want to create a good impression. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Andythejock, As your girlfriend is with you, you may need a fair amount of monet if you want to create a good impression. wink

We've been going out for 2 & 1/2 years................... Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Andythejock wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:

Claude Monet (French pronunciation: [klod m?n?]), born Oscar Claude Monet (14 November 1840 – 5 December 1926), was a founder of French impressionist painting, and the most consistent and prolific practitioner of the movement's philosophy of expressing one's perceptions before nature, especially as applied to plein-air landscape painting.[1][2] The term Impressionism is derived from the title of his painting Impression, Sunrise (Impression, soleil levant)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok, so do you guys reckon £400 would be enough for 6 lunches on the mountain and half decent nights out?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skip lunch have a peanut/chocolate bar and a bottle of tap water. £400 should then give you some half decent nights out provided your girlfriend buys her own Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Andythejock, I normally take about €150 for spending money for a week's ski holiday. I always go half board so this money is purely to cover dinner on the mountain and drinks throughout the week. However, I'm not a huge drinker and I go to Austria or Italy as a rule so you may need a bit more than this. £400 sounds about right if that's for both you and your girlfriend, it sounds a heck of a lot if it's just for you.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia wrote:
Andythejock, I normally take about €150 for spending money for a week's ski holiday. I always go half board so this money is purely to cover dinner on the mountain and drinks throughout the week. However, I'm not a huge drinker and I go to Austria or Italy as a rule so you may need a bit more than this. £400 sounds about right if that's for both you and your girlfriend, it sounds a heck of a lot if it's just for you.

It's just for me. Embarassed wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Andythejock, good grief!! Are you one of these guys who can drink the bar dry? Or maybe I'm just incredibly cheap! Laughing Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lol! Blush I do like a pint or two, but at the moment the plan is not to go too daft so I enjoy the skiing - that's what I'm there for after all!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PS, my girlfriend just said I am indeed one of those guys that can drink the bar dry! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Andythejock, big baggy cargo pants with loads of pockets... leave cheap supermarket beers on the balcony during the day and fill your pants with them for evening excursions. Buy one demi and refill under la table. Don't forget bottle opener or remember to buy twist offs. Yer burd will be dead impressed. Another money saving tip tomorrow...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Andythejock, Hey, wait a minute... Balerno? Everyone who lives there is minted n'est ce que pas?
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Andythejock, Hey, wait a minute... Balerno? Everyone who lives there is minted n'est ce que pas?

Everyone apart from moi!
ski holidays
Andythejock, in that case it's the big baggy cargo pant routine for you.
snow conditions
£400 should just about do you, per person, if you are going to put the hammer down from 8pm to midnight every night, and you don't drink like a nun.

Monium's Top Tip - drink jugs in the Alpaka. Decent bar, decent price, and plenty of sofas and decent beer. You'll need to go and find it, anyone working in the resort should know where it is - they all drink there.
ski holidays
I got back last night. £400 would be fine. Mix your lunches between mountain restaurants and Tigne Cuisine or Loop

Avoid eating or drinking in Les Brevierres at all costs. Folie Douce will seem like a constant happy hour compared to Brev.

For a really special mountain meal, try Eidelweiss just above Fornet village. £30 each and outstanding food/surroundings.
ski holidays
There never is a cure to less money , so it is better to take much than your need . So i suggest you to have 1000 instead of 700 . That will take you out from any kind of trouble might happen there CNA license verification.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 4-02-11 13:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Sometimes I feel very financially challenged reading these threads. I'm a well paid individual who is lucky enough to be able to afford to go skiing most winters. But compared to some of you guys I feel like a minimum wage scrimper.

My only consolation is that if I ate and drank £400 worth in a ski resort in a week, I would be one or more of the following:

• At least two stone heavier
• Unable to pay my mortgage that month
• Having my stomach pumped
• Completely unable to stand up let alone put skis on my feet

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
queen bodecia, Don't worry about it, I know how you feel. Mrs ricfrench is a tight wad as well wink
snow conditions
simply work out how many beers you can drink on a normal night out and times it by £5, and then work out what you can afford to drink.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 31-01-11 10:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
queen bodecia, Sorry I spelt that wrong, I meant to say a minimalist spender.
Which is in reality very good, if it down to me I'd spend the lot on the first night.

What we tend to aim for is half board hotel and around €100 per day for 3 of us. That usually covers us for most stuff
ski holidays
Quote:

i suggest you to have 1000 instead of 700 . That will take you out from any kind of trouble might happen there .

Shocked if you spend anything like that on drinking I suspect that, on the contrary, it would get you into all kinds of trouble.

Like queen bodecia, I can't imagine ever spending anything like £400 on "extras" on a half board holiday (that's enough to have another half board holiday.....).

Quote:

simply work out how many beers you can drink on a normal might out and times it by £5, and then work out what you can afford to drink.

If those are large beers your arithmetic might be some way out in Tignes.
snow conditions
Myself and the wife always go half board,and we tend to take 600E for the 2 of us for lunches and drinks (apres, not all night clubbing as we are mostly in bed by 11pm) for the week. And this tends to be about right, 40-50E lunch a day followed by the same for drinks. Lift passes are ontop of this and are usualy pre booked or purchased on the transfer to resort.

As others have said you can do it cheaper, i.e make your own packed lunch, buy beer from the supermarket etc etc. But i cant be arsed with all that, im on my hols and want to enjoy it and not scrimp. IMHO if you got scrimp you should not go.

So in my experience budget on 50E a day per person unless you want a full on clubbing night then add 100E extra for each clubbing night ( we may have 1 heavy night in the week, but im getting to old now that i struggle the next day if im out partying Puzzled so theres non of this out all night every night for me at the grand old age of 34 Shocked )

Valdisere/tignes is my all time fave, cant wait to be back there in march. Have a good time and enjoy
ski holidays
pam w, I probably paid on average £5 per beer (six euros) in Tignes in Dec in Le Lac, mainly large beers but also includes a few small ones and some happy hour beers etc., so £50 a night will see you right for about 7 to 10 scoops imv Very Happy No clubbing or expensive places, just the cheaper type of pub/cafe
ski holidays
Take about €700, that should cover costs of what you may run into! Bear in mind you can always keep it in the pocket and dont have to spend it! Bring the €'s back if you have to, you can keep them in the house for the next trip! Better to have it rather than looking for it!! Have fun and let us know how you get on!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Bring the €'s back if you have to, you can keep them in the house for the next trip!

There's not much point in taking everything you can afford to spend and carrying round loads of cash - there are plenty of cash machines!
ski holidays
You don't mention skii/boot hire - are you paying for this in resort, or are you already sorted?

Some egs of lunch prices:-
http://brasero.co.uk/images/lunch.pdf
http://tignescuisine.com/en/content/tignes-cuisine-menu
ski holidays
depthjunkie, agree 100%
ski holidays
Andythejock We are regular Tignes/France skiers and would comment as follows:

Lunches - All depends what you are looking for. You can ski back to the resort and get a panini/sandwich/hot dog/toastie for 4 or 5 euros; or in mountain restaurants pay 15-20 euros for spaghetti/lasagne etc or 10-12 euros for an omelette/chips - or a la carte for 25 euros plus Shocked ; OR, best value of all, you can take a packed lunch to eat on the slopes.

Evening meals - Ditto re. depending what you are looking for. We usually reckon on spending 35-50 euros on an evening meal for 2 including a beer each - big beers cost 5 - 6 euros. Fondues are from about 18 euros, tartiflette (local speciality dish of cheese/potato/ham - recommended!) from about 15, pizza from 10, burger and chips 8-10.

Where are you staying? There's a couple of good places in Tignes Val Claret that do great value 3 course specials for 16 or 17 euros - namely Le Petit Savoyarde and L'Armoise. Both do decent food in pleasant surroundings.

You'll love Tignes - have a great holiday!
latest report
pam w, true! This could be what you would expect, I presumed he meant budgeting for the week! Take it with you or withdraw from ATM's about €700 and you will not have to worry!
ski holidays
Quote:

IMHO if you got scrimp you should not go.

For me, it's not a case of "having to scrimp" but a choice about priorities for spending, given that money is not unlimited. If I have a good breakfast and anticipate a good dinner there's no way I need, or want, a big lunch. And when it's busy it's best to ski right through lunchtime anyway when the French are in the restaurants (don't know if the Austrians are as keen on noshing their way through lunch, but the Italians were, in my brief experience there).

I also enjoy a gin and tonic, or a glass of (generally reasonably good) wine just as much if it's come from a supermarket as I do in a noisy bar. Before the bars were non-smoking I couldn't stand them anyway.

I also enjoy a picnic lunch on the top of an alp - though only in warm sunny weather, thanks.

When we had family holidays money was fairly tight - 5 lots of ski passes etc - and we mostly did catered chalets. BYO spirits duty-free (back in the day, still possible if you fly to Gva), buy beers and mixers from the chalet staff - enjoy company of fellow guests.

That didn't feel like "scrimping" and not spending 50 euros a night in bars doesn't equate to "scrimping" either, in my book. Maybe it's because I didn't spend all my money on boozing that I can now afford to spend most of the winter in my own piste-side apartment. wink
latest report
Never understood why people stop for cooked lunches on ski holidays. Make ham / cheese baguettes, sit and eat them in a nice spot near the piste, save cash and ski quiet pistes while all the fatties are queueing up to get ripped off in mountain restaurants Twisted Evil
latest report
I might add that with my approx €150 per week spending money I do not scrimp. I buy a cooked dinner and drinks on the mountain plus drinks in the evening. I'm on holiday, I don't want to faff about with supermarkets and kitchens. Someone else can do all that for me.
snow report
I really enjoy a lunch on the mountain - now and then. Typically costs 30/35 euros for two of us, including wine and coffee. If we did that every day, for the weeks we're in the mountains, we'd spend a fortune. I like to get into the warm - which often means going back to the apartment to thaw out properly.

Round our way, restaurants are pretty unsophisticated and the range of dishes is limited. Unless you want variations on pig and chips, or cow and chips, or something with far too much cheese, you do tend to run out of options. going home for a bowl of home-made soup often seems preferable, as well as incomparably cheaper.

Obviously it's different if you are just on holiday for a week - even so, nobody could convince me tell me that sitting with your feet up and a glass of Remy Martin after a hard day's skiing is "scrimping" Laughing

It's partly a generational thing, perhaps. When we were young - teens and twenties - nobody in my circle of friends could afford to go out boozing heavily night after night so we didn't see it as a Basic Human Right. These weren't poverty stricken street kids - one of them is a government Minister and another sits in the House of Lords. wink Some of the younger people who are complaining that the "Baby Boomers" led the life of Riley would find themselves feeling very hard done by indeed if they had to live on disposable incomes the same as we had (in real terms, ie with equivalent purchasing power).
snow report
Quote:

For me, it's not a case of "having to scrimp" but a choice about priorities for spending, given that money is not unlimited. If I have a good breakfast and anticipate a good dinner there's no way I need, or want, a big lunch. And when it's busy it's best to ski right through lunchtime anyway when the French are in the restaurants

Totally agree. We just got back from Tignes ( Sad ), spent about 10 to 15 Euros on lunch for two at Spar in Le Lac, and noticed Palafour ski lift was dead from 1pm to 2pm.
Also previous comment suggests skiing still a rich persons sport. We reckon we can get back to Tignes for 4 days in March for about £200 per person, transport accom and food. I'll scrimp all the way and love it.
Also dont be afraid to recycle, on Chalet night off we had a fab meal in Les Brevieres which we couldnt finish, so with the help of some napkins and plastic bags, we spent the following lucnhtime reclining outside the Funiculaire enjoying baguette, cold cuts and foie gras! Best lunch of the trip and basically free Very Happy
snow conditions
I've never really understood the desire to drink and eat so much on skiing holidays. I went with a large group of friends last year and some of the guys were on the slopes at 11, 1 hour lunch at 1pm, back in a bar by 4pm (at the latest!) and be out till 2/3 am,. They'd get a maximum of 4 hours of hungover skiing per day and spending hundreds of euros for the pleasure.

Myself and a couple of the others would be on the slopes for 9am, 30min break for lunch, ski till the last lift, join them for a couple of beers, dinner in the chalet, couple of beers after and be asleep for 11/12 pm. 8 hours of quality skiing per day and significantly cheaper.

Its not that I can't afford to do what they do, but I only get one skiing holiday per year so want to maximise my time on the slopes. I can get drunk on other holidays or during wonderful nights out in Reading wink

Maybe I'm just old man (I'm 26!).
snow conditions
i agree i cant see the point in not getting out and doing a full days skiing. I too am on the slopes by 9.30am at the latest and ski till last lift, but have a lunch stop for about 45mins-1hour at around 1pm. Then back on it from about 2pm till last lift.

But i fail to see how anyone if stopping at a restraunt for lunch, followed by say 2 pints apres ski. Then back to the hotel for dinner, then out to the village for say 2 more pints later after dinner then back to the hotel by say 11pm for bed can fail to spend between 40-50E per day per person. 4pints alone are gonna be about 20-25E, never mind maybe the odd shot of Jager at 3-5euro a pop. 2 pints apres and 2 pints later in the evening hardly aquates to living it large.

as for rich persons sport, not quite but you do have to be reasonbly comfortable to afford a ski holiday (or any nice holiday for that matter). I find ski holidays no worse than a summer holiday for costs and budget again for 50E (£50) per person per day. And i deffo do not go on holiday to get drunk (i drink very little, and can go months without touching a drop)

We were paying between 4-8E for a large coke in restraunts in both France and Austria depending where on the mountain or village we were, so 50E a day deffo dont stretch that far.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy