Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going light, switching to Dynafit, but which skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of ditching my fritschi bindings in favor of a lighter set up, my legs aren't getting any younger or stronger. Currently I am using fritschi bindings on some Movement Apple 74 skis. I did think of just fitting some st12's on these but I am now thinking that I might be better flogging them complete and starting a fresh. The main motivation is to get a lighter set up but thought that a wider ski might be more fun on the descents. I don't want to go too wide as I like to have a ski that is nimble enough to use in the trees. I am 6 foot and the wrong side of 80kg, and mainly do day/2 day tours.

Any suggestions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would think the apples are pretty light. Movement have a new range of both racing/randonnee skis (ultralight and up to 88 wide I think) and v.light bc skis too, worth checking out
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
barry, yes I was looking at the spark light, has anybody tried them?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For what it's worth I have Dynafit mounted on K2 Mt Bakers similar in size shape to my Scott Missions - although not the super light randonee Mt Bakers - that said I can see myself using the Missions mounted with Marker Barons more than the Mt Bakers coming touring in March - not least because I prefer the Missions and will ignore the weight issue, but because as Davidof pointed out only a few days ago and totally pissed on my parade - I use an ABS pack, so what happens if I get caught in a slide with my Dynafits on in climbing mode, they are not going to come off without causing me and my legs a lot of trauma!!

That said the difference in weight between the Missions / Markers and the K2/Dynafits is colossal
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jbob, How bored are you??????
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I am watching a dvd of George Harrison.. How does that figure?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
....as Davidof pointed out only a few days ago and totally pissed on my parade - I use an ABS pack, so what happens if I get caught in a slide with my Dynafits on in climbing mode, they are not going to come off without causing me and my legs a lot of trauma!!

Ummm....
Going to disagree with that.

*if* the worst case scenario happened then I reckon it would probably be easier to lean down and quickly release the toe piece of a dyanfit.
If anything the heel piece of a fritschi (in touring mode) might be trickier to release in a slide as you have nothing to push back against.
Plus in Fritschi touring mode, with the ski flapping about, there is no guarantee that the binding would pop off either.

As an answer to the original poster.
I had some Fritschi on Movement Sparks (the normal ones - not the rando light version).
Recently mounted Dynafit TLTs on them instead. The difference on ascent is very noticeable.
Get a ski that you will enjoy on the descent - with out being crazy heavy for the ascent.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haggis_Trap, well hopefully I'll never get to find out if it's at all possible to bend down and release the binding and still be compus mentus / have enough time to pull the abs trigger!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From this thread

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72804

Quote:
44, 188cm (6' 2" in old money), 100 kg (closer to 120Kg with all the skiing paraphenalia), ski instructor

Recently purchased the Jam in a 173cm and have Dynafit Vertical FT bindings mounted.

Skiing them with the Dynafit TLT-5 Performance boot.

Currently in Popova Shapka, Macedonia. Fifth day on them today.

As the posters above have said, very lively in all turn shapes. Very responsive in all snow conditions and all terrain.

I've skied them on hard packed refrozen pistes, perfectly groomed pistes, dust on crust, windblown powder and up to waist deep powder.

Excellent quiver of one ski. Highly recommended.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Pow, Thanks for the link.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dynafit Stoke looks amazing, and I couldn't believe how light they are when I picked a pair up. Probably too fat for your needs, but still!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Quote:
....as Davidof pointed out only a few days ago and totally pissed on my parade - I use an ABS pack, so what happens if I get caught in a slide with my Dynafits on in climbing mode, they are not going to come off without causing me and my legs a lot of trauma!!

Ummm....
Going to disagree with that.

*if* the worst case scenario happened then I reckon it would probably be easier to lean down and quickly release the toe piece of a dyanfit.
If anything the heel piece of a fritschi (in touring mode) might be trickier to release in a slide as you have nothing to push back against.
Plus in Fritschi touring mode, with the ski flapping about, there is no guarantee that the binding would pop off either.

Me too. I *know* that I could rip the whole toe piece from the ski if my toes were locked out and I needed to come free.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy