Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Secrets of Banff

Poster: A snowHead
If anyone's off to Banff this season and is at a loss for a good place to eke out the jet lag on the first afternoon of dead time then you can't do much better than this:

1) Walk from your hotel (Inns of Banff , Caribou Lodge, etc.) up Banff Avenue into 'downtown' (town centre).
2) Keep on walking (out of town) and eventually you cross a bridge over the river.
3) Take the opportunity to browse around the Indian trading post.
4) Take a left and walk along the river's edge path (toward Bow falls).
5) The path is interrupted by a small hill section (ignore 'health & safety' closure signs if you can avoid slipping over and breaking your coccyx).
6) Eventually you get to a car parking area at the foot of Bow falls (feel free to admire the sights).
7) There are two large wooden signs (opposite the river) that seem to bar access to two paths into the forest - up wooden steps. They should say something about the Waldhaus pub/restaurant.
8 ) Pick one of them and follow the path into the forest.
9) You eventually arrive at the Waldhaus pub/restaurant.
10) You have a free pool table.
11) You have free Japanese rice cracker type bar snacks
12) You have a selection of faux Belgian/Bavarian beers - vaguely reminiscent of the real thing.
13) You have a bar menu from snacks to excellent burgers (fondues in restaurant upstairs).
14) You have incredibly friendly and helpful staff.
15) you have the best pub in Banff.
16) The Waldhaus is the 'pub in the forest' for those folk in the Fairmont Banff Springs hotel who are intrepid enough to dare a 100 yard walk outside the heated confines of their hotel. Suffice it to say that few do.

The Waldhaus is the best bar in Banff! I'd go there every night, but one is obliged to play the field.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has discovered it, because it's not exactly easy to find by accident (though I did many years ago).

http://www.fairmont.com/banff-springs/dining/waldhauspub/

NB Ignore Google maps. My directions are based on first hand knowledge. The Waldhaus is NOT located at the entrance to the Fairmont complex (unless you're interested in delivering post to it as opposed to getting served at the bar). It's just half a mile's leisurely/slippery walk from the bridge.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 13-01-17 21:08; edited 4 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not as indepth as crosbie's, but i'd recommend the Salt Lik resteraunt to anyone going to Banff. It's on Bear St, which is behind Banff Ave between Wolf and Caribou, and is where I had the finest steak I have ever eaten in my life. I also recall a particularly good Canadian wine selection, including a rather good Pinot Noir. And sensibly priced IMO too.

http://www.saltliksteakhouse.com/sl.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Richard_Sideways, thanks for that tip. I'd had a brief look at it via http://www.taximike.com . If you rate the Salt Lik that's makes it a definite visit on my forthcoming trip out there. Thanks! Toofy Grin

One of my favourite styles of steak is the Chicago style, i.e. burnt on the outside, raw on the inside. It's almost impossible to find it outside the North American continent. I had a baseball steak Chicago style in Banff last time I was there. I can't remember where I had it though* (wasn't Bumpers, but somewhere upstairs from a bar in the town centre).

EDIT: * It was at the Keg Downtown.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 4-02-11 18:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would second Salt Lik - great food and wine and a reasonably relaxed atmosphere..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Avoid Bumpers.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I also went to the saltlik the other week. It was really, really nice. Would definitely recommend the place.

P.S - the duck tacos were a really nice starter!

The keg steakhouse was also a nice place for steaks (not better than saltlik in my opinion though..)

I didn't see the Waldhaus... we didn't spend too much time that side of the river sadly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scotia wrote:
Avoid Bumpers.

Possibly a little harsh scotia, Bumpers has its place, it's cheap and cheerful and the beef is better than average. You may not get the best meal of your life there, but you won't go hungry no matter what you order.

v1cky24, Seem to remember a particularly good dessert selection at The Keg, in fact I think it was the Keg that converted my friends new wife back from a life of vegetianism while they were on honeymoon in the area.

One other piece of information is about The Grizzly House on Banff Av. Decent enough fondue place, been there a few times (if you go try the exotic meat special on the hot rock, and if you do go, people will know by the smell when you walk into your hotel) but we were told by a local that the Grizzly House known to play host to a lively Swingers scene every now and again... if that floats your boat... though the idea of mixing swinging and molten cheese is somewhat disturbing...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One other, if you like hockey, try the Elk and Oarsman, they're normally showing all the matches, reasonable enough grazing food, and good beer.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard_Sideways, there are plenty of other places I'd rather eat. Bumpers is definitely overhyped by the reps etc.

I agree about the Elk. If you don't want peace and quiet I'd ask for a seat in the bar although it does get very busy so it could be a good idea to book.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard_Sideways, Bumpers should be given a chance sure, but a decade or so ago two members of my group ended up in Banff medicentre with severe food poisoning (Coincidence? Poor hygiene? A psychopathic salad bar poisoner? I suspect the latter - one victim being vegetarian). So, let's put it this way: I for one am not in a hurry to revisit it or argue with scotia.

One of my group knows someone called Jennie who used to work at the Magpie & Stump, who highly recommends it. We'll be paying that a visit.

I've been to the Grizzly House a couple of times. I think my visit last year persuaded me that it's reaching the end of its heyday. I think it needs a visit from Gordon Ramsay to put some life back into it. It's got a bit too expensive and complacent. So, no specific faults. But, as you note, everyone walks out with the signature aroma of buffalo fondue permeating their clothing - taxi drivers immediately start the conversation with "So, how did you like the Grizzly House?". No big deal - unless you hoped to impress others with your Parisian perfumes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Think Magpie & Stump is a tex-mex place, reps pimp it a bit. Hear its got a good bar, particularly if you like tequila and margaritas, though never been myself.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways, I've been assured that they will stick some dynamite in the chilli con carne if I request it, so that makes me happy. I'm into the Dorset Naga/Scotch Bonnet end of the Scoville scale when it comes to chilli. I love frozen margaritas too. I also understand it has free monkey nuts. So, definitely worth a visit.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had the best Ribs ever in Banff...can't remember the name of the place though. rolling eyes

They were Beef Ribs not Pork. Huge great things. It looked like the Flinestones had visited my plate when i'd finished. Never seen the like since.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spud, maybe it was Tony Roma's?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is Melissa's still there in Banff > Went there in Summer about 10 years ago - very good steaks
ski holidays
crosbie wrote:
spud, maybe it was Tony Roma's?

No it wasn't there mate.

It was in a scruffy bar next to a Petrol station. Top end of Town.

That's what amazed me...it wasn't in a Restaurant. We went in for a few apres beers and a game of pool, with the intention to move on to a restaurant to eat in.

Anyway, the beers were flowing, it was full of locals with a good atmosphere, and the Super Bowl was on, so we ended up eating at the bar.

3 beef short Ribs (Huge,falling off the bone ) Jacket spud, coleslaw all for about $10...best ever...seriously. It's gonna bug me now... Embarassed
latest report
spud, Opposite the Inns of Banff hotel is a Husky gas station with a Domino's pizza bar in it, but behind it is Bumpers Inn, which has a bar and restaurant that does ribs. That's the closest I can come up with. I guess it was probably elsewhere.

The best ribs I ever had was in Bubba's BBQ in Jackson Hole, a most unassuming place, but f-me, I'd get fat there if you let me. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
We went to the magpie & stump and they ballsed up my OHs meal, he's a fussy so and so though IMO. I enjoyed it thoroughly, especially the strawberry daiquiris in a jar...

Enjoyed the elk and oarsmen too, very nice sliders.

Rose & crown was probably the worst place we ate, the service was quite poor in there relatively speaking. We also ate at the brew pub opposite the elk & oarsmen upstairs. That was a nice place to visit, with loads of different ales etc.

The old spaghetti factory was very good value for money, though we were rather ill after eating here, it may have been over indulgence though.

Melissas was nice for steaks & breakfasts. The pancakes were awesome!
snow conditions
I went to the Saltlik and ordered a Chicago Rib Eye, but I suspect the waiter forgot the 'Chicago' bit and just asked for a medium, because that's what arrived. He then flannelled when I pointed out that it wasn't Chicago style. I wasn't going to pjss my fellow diners off by sending it back, and it was very good quality, so I just enjoyed it for what it was. A couple of days later I had a Chicago baseball steak in the Keg Downtown and it was so fricking good I had a second one for dessert. Madeye-Smiley The Keg know how to do Chicago!

The Magpie & Stump chilli con carne/wrap thingy, especially when upgraded with the "Hell's Fire" option (Madras/Vindaloo strength) has made this a 'must do again' next time I'm in Banff. http://www.taximike.com/magpie-menu.html The jam jar glasses are a little odd. The frozen margarita disappears far too quickly.

I agree v1cky24 that the Brew pub is good.

We had great Nachos in the Waldhaus, and after 6 jugs of beer never did manage to order the burgers as we'd intended. They're always glad to call a taxi (stops right outside the pub) for folk to be taken back into town.
snow conditions
crosbie, What's "Chicago style"?
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, 'Chicago style' is where a steak is cooked rapidly at extremely high temperature such that it has a thin semi-burnt crust on the outside, but is raw in the centre, and thus transitions from rare->medium->well done from centre to outer. So you have to be ok with rare steak, but you do get the whole variety of flavours. Aside from restaurants with special 2000C grills/ovens, the closest you can usually get to it is to put a steak on an extremely hot barbecue. It's well worth a try. I rarely come across restaurants that will do it, and always jump at the chance when I find one (mostly in North America).
latest report
crosbie, That sounds great - will give it a go
latest report
Sounds like you had a nice time crosbie!
snow report
v1cky24, yup, pretty good. The only downer was that just before packing on the day before the flight I got pulled over by a bolting horse and dislocated my shoulder (ambulance to hospital, etc.) so I had to snowboard with my right arm in a sling under my coat. rolling eyes Of course, much amusement arriving at Calgary airport with arm in a sling instead of departing that way as most injured snowboarders do. Thank god my snowboarding skills were able to cope with all conditions and prevent a re-dislocating fall. I even went down a double-black diamond couloir (mainly because I couldn't be arsed to climb back up out of it once I'd realised why there was no visible bottom to the near vertical slope I had descended into - apart from a tiny rock 100 foot down).
snow report
crosbie, Shocked
snow conditions
crosbie, Shocked indeed!

You brave soul...! The conditions look like they have been very good over the last few weeks. Hope you got a few powder days in!
snow report
v1cky24, we didn't get that much powder. The day after the night it snowed a couple of inches (Sun 13th Feb) we went to Norquay (much to a powder hound's disappointment), and we enjoyed a wee bit of powder here and there. I understand that there were traffic jams for Lake Louise & Sunshine given the weekend and fresh snow, so it did have a tad of a silver lining.
ski holidays
Aw, shame.

I went to Norquay on a sunday, it was rather quiet. I wasn't a big fan of that place to be honest, it was really rather icy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
v1cky24, Norquay is very good if you fancy just a long morning and the 2pm bus home in order to go souvenir shopping, etc. We also had a 1st weeker who was going to practice solo all he'd been taught in the previous 3 days. The beginner slope was fine for him. And the rest of it (those bits that were open) was fine for a morning for advanced skiers (and injured snowboarder). I went up the advanced chair and at the top of the two black mogul fields had to descend the snowboard departure steps backwards given my right arm was no good to hold the handrail.

I went to Norquay last year when it was a tad hard-pack. I was in a chair above a load of slalom skiers out for a practice (all whizzing down in fast 'S'es one after the other), and one of them shouted out for all to hear "WHAT THE FVCK IS THIS SH|T?!" evidently not happy at how little grip the piste had. Didn't look like he had too much problem tho. snowHead
ski holidays
no-one's mentioned the excellent sushi that is widely available.... or (if you're hungry), the sunday night buffet at the Fairmont.
I'd also recommend Saltlik*, and there are some other good places in town which I've probably posted about already over the last few years.

If there's been recent snow, _do_ get out to Kicking Horse.... it's a (little longer) bus ride, but _definitely_ worth it.... (but don't bother if there's no 'fresh').
enjoy
h.

p.s. I've been to Banff 5 times, but never found (or looked for) the Waldhaus... willl look it up next time (and there _will_ be a next time...), thanks crosbie.
snow report
Crosbie, just wanted to say thanks for the excellent recommendation & detailed directions to the Waldhaus - did it 2 weekends ago on a day off skiing & it was superb - the walk through the woods, along the frozen river by the falls & up into the Waldhaus was great - I never would have thought of going there without your recommendation.
latest report
Wolfman wrote:
Crosbie, just wanted to say thanks for the excellent recommendation & detailed directions to the Waldhaus - did it 2 weekends ago on a day off skiing & it was superb - the walk through the woods, along the frozen river by the falls & up into the Waldhaus was great - I never would have thought of going there without your recommendation.

Excellent! Glad to hear you've now discovered this delight too. It does make for a great way to spend the last few daylight hours of a short day, to then start the evening a bit early. wink
ski holidays
Quote:
In fact I think it was the Keg that converted my friend's new wife back from a life of vegeterianism while they were on honeymoon in the area
Oo er missus Shocked!! What did she go for? Was it the jumbo sausage by any chance Toofy Grin Embarassed ??
ski holidays
I was in the Irish bar (St James Gate?) on New Year's Eve about 10 years ago. The (poo-poo hot) band were all about 17 and drinking coke. I was lost for words Shocked Musicians...Irish Bar...etc etc. I was confused as a newt Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy