Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avi Transceiver

Poster: A snowHead
Just ordered a Ortovox 3+ and will give you some feedback when I get it. I have read that Ortovox are bringing out an updated S1 and that Pieps have a new transceiver on the way so may end up giving this to my little brother and getting one of those so hope it is as easy as it seems to be for a non-practiced user..
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HenryL, wow news travels fast Ortovox S1 will be the Ortovox S1+ next season wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cool, yeah that's part of the reason I went for the 3+ now as I didn't want to buy something that would be surpassed so quickly.. Especially as I have heard the new S1 will have the dual transmitters like the 3+ does.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
HenryL, mmmm I only heard, this week, and IPSO trade show is still a few weeks away!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I guess I'll have to wait and see exactly what they announce then.. Have you heard anything about a new Pieps beacon?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Have you heard anything about a new Pieps beacon?

sorry no we don't do the pieps stuff, I will post up as soon as I know on the other stuff for next season, there is quite a bit of new stuff for next year, but I am sworn to secrecy so far, until the trade shows
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Of course, no worries.. Look forward to hearing the rest of the new gear.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are quite a few Ortovox S1+ for 2011/12 pics and info on the web now, basically the s1+ will be even easier to use than the current model, have the 3+ transmit smart antenna and also be lighter.

The other bit of good news is that it will only need two AAA batteries, which helps with interference and keeps the weight down.

Oh and its a funky black colour with green highlights.

Tests have shown that searching for a vertically buried person can reduce the range by up to 50% With the smart antenna of the 3+ and next seasons S1+ it will only reduce the range by about 9% Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cool sounds like an impressive improvement, my 3+ will definitely be passed on to brother for one of these as he has been using a rented Tracker DTS. Any idea when these are likely to be available?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I should have the first ones around Sept/Oct but this might change
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HenryL, how much has your brother been renting his DTS for?

I'm looking to maybe get a transceiver before heading to the alps in March, but if the rental cost is too high i'll get one in a package with the shovel and probe i'll be buying in the next week or so.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livetoski wrote:
The other bit of good news is that it will only need two AAA batteries, which helps with interference and keeps the weight down.

Just what I look for in an avalanche tranceiver... mind you maybe that weight improvment could just keep you under the 23Kgs. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
livetoski, do snowheads get any discount at your store?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shoogly, yep if you register 10% or IM me for more details

allanm, Puzzled not some much the weight issue but alot more about interference, less or smaller batteries put out much less interference therefore improving the signal etc etc
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
livetoski wrote:

allanm, less or smaller batteries put out much less interference therefore improving the signal etc etc

OK..... Blush That's an interesting concept, any other info or links on this?
latest report
shoogly, I think he pays £10 for postage and the transceiver hire is free for the week Puzzled something to do with the family being on the original SCGB transceiver scheme. The DTS is not a bad unit but the 3+ is so much simpler to use for someone who does little training in my opinion.
snow report
HenryL wrote:
...I have read that Ortovox are bringing out an updated S1 ..

Now you tell me- Bought an S1 in Mid January- lovely yoke have tested it at home- still in the box (will be unused skiing until March 12th trip) so open to offers??
snow conditions
HenryL, How have you found the 3+? - I'm quite tempted by it.
ski holidays
colinstone, very happy with the 3+, glad I chose it over the Tracker 2 now. Firstly it's smaller and the harness/pouch are very comfortable. It has a very clear screen and is particularly easy to use and has a clear marking and display system for multiple burials. The dual transmitting ariels should add to your own safety too which is nice seeing as nearly all of the features on transmitters seem to be about searching quicker/easier.
All in all very good piece of kit and I would be happy skiing with others who had one of these.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy