Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Galtur

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am off to Galtur next week (5th). I haven't been there before so is there any info on it out there Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was there last year. It's a small village, pretty quiet. Some restaurants, not much nightlife. Obviously you can get to Ischgl and other areas easily enough on the frequent buses. Galtur's ski area is small but good, and quieter than Ischgl in my limited experience.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I remember the barmaids wearing Leiderhosendancing dancing on the bar in the Fluchthorn Alm. The barmaids were immune to my advances and so I got well drunk during the family friendly apres knees up. The ski area is small, good for an easy half day rest from Ischgl. Galtur is dead on a night apart from the night skiing which is freezing. Galtur has a dark history from the Avalanche disater, I still think it haunts the place. The bus service to Ischgl is OK but becomes a little tedious after a few days combined with the queue to get the Gondola. Maybe we chose the wrong Gondola. But once at the top of the Ischgl Gondola you are connected to what I believe is the best modern ski lift system anywhere....then again that was 2 years ago.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The ski area is actually at Wirl, so if you're staying in Galtur proper, it's a short bus ride to the slopes.

It's a great area for families, who make a large proportion of the people who go there. The beginners area is perfect, since it's slightly away from the main ski area so nobody comes charging through it. The ski area is great for families, since most of the runs eventually end up at the same point, so it would be difficult to lose a child. It's a small ski area and a competent skier or boarder could cover it in a day. If you get easily bored doing the same run then you'll probably want to head to Ischgl instead. Otherwise the ski area is good.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Guys
Thanks for the info it will give me something to think about and Lechhbob thanks for reminding me to pack my leiderhosen Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shaunyboy, Where are you staying in Galtur?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Alpenrose Hotel why are you going too?

Tell me have you ever skied Mt Croagh Patrick Laughing My dad's from the wild west.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Alpenrose is good, clean and comfortable. Good buffet breakfast, even champagne laid out. The dinner was OK. Ski bus stops right outside for Wirl or Ischgl in the other direction. Enjoy Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 30-01-11 18:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers thats good news, I'll raise a glass bubbly on your behalf wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not too sure if this is useful or not.

From Galtur and 6 miles away there is Ischgl which is linked to Samnaun of Switzerland.

Galtur has 40km piste whereas Ischgl has 235km.

Ischgl shares the same statuts as St Anton for its large number of 5 and 4 star hotels but to ski it you just need the ski pass. It cost me 134.5 Euro for 4 days in 2008. That ski pass also entitled me to ski every resort (Kappl with 40km piste and See with 33km) in the same valley.

An average skier can do 30km piste easily in a day so Galtur is not big enough for a week.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All the info is welcome not having been there before so thanks very much. Just got to get my 30km a day in now!
Cheers
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shaunyboy, Had a pint at the foot of it looking over clew bay! Does that count?

We were there last year stayed in the Hotel Rossle! Nice hotel, but you had the schlep in the morning to catch the bus, if you stayed further up the valley towards Wirl there would be more space on the bus. We did not get out before 9:30 AM as it was a "lads" trip!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Roy you know unless you came down with no skis, boots or socks on it doesn't count!

I note from your message that you have not taken the pledge yet and also the simalarity between Gaelic and Austrian, Schlep & Schlaf!

I have learned so much from the snowheads and its only my 5th post Very Happy

Slainte Laughing

Thanks for the info mate
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shaunyboy,
Love the area though it's small, it is north facing at the head of the valley and is much colder than the other resorts in the valley, can be absolutely bitter.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks T Bar to be honest I am just packing so I will definitely put my long Johns in the case, cheers Smile
snow conditions
shaunyboy wrote:
Just got to get my 30km a day in now!

No rush.... have another glass of bubbly wink Laughing
snow report
shaunyboy, No it was my yiddish! Will watch the hardcore without shoes and socks, but I would say they are on something stronger than a "pint of plain"!!
snow conditions
Roy my dad always said go to Schlep or else! I thought that was Gaelic Embarassed When I was a young lad like you I was always told to wear my snow goggles or I would go blind so watch out for that hardcore coming down the mountain Laughing
snow report
Quote:

the simalarity between Gaelic and Austrian

Is that similar to German? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots wrote:
shaunyboy wrote:
Just got to get my 30km a day in now!

No rush.... have another glass of bubbly wink Laughing

I'll take your advice prost Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:
Quote:

the simalarity between Gaelic and Austrian

Is that similar to German? Toofy Grin
No not at all Austria it's more Eastern Swiss/western Belgium/Liechtensteinish. German is similar to Geordie/north east but I thought everyone new that lol wink Laughing Prost
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy