Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How can I dry my car?

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody have any great ideas for how to get all the moisture out of my car?

Its always got boots/skis/bits of snow etc. in it and im bored of scraping the outside and inside of the windscreen every morning. maybe a giant silicon bag or something?

Matt
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can get a dehumidifier for your car, well worth getting one. Basically all the moisture is in the seats, carpets, roof lining etc and is freezing on contact with the inside of the car. Get one and leave it running for a few hours in the car and it should sort the problem. Also make sure that the boots snow etc is what is causing it, check no windows or door seals are leaking as this will allow moisture into the car as well. Pain in the ars3 when this happens, doing the outside is bad enough!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you have air con that will reduce moisture.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've recently found this. I thought I would give it a go BUT I haven't even bought one yet so can't say if it's any good
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you've got air-con' that will act as a dehumidifier. When the humidity is high you can have water pouring out of the drain (somewhere near the middle of the floor usually). I get loads of customers arrive worried about there car leaking water. Many heater systems now automaticaly switch AC on when you set for screen demist.

I'd wipe your kit down with a towel and take the towel with me to dry, then use the AC.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And if you have Air Con and its still an issue might be worth getting the unit serviced - I did recently on my 8 yo car and it made an amazing difference to its efficiency - from memory cost around £45.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Excellent, no air con in the car, but may try the bag thingy just on the dash board might keep the windscreen dry that fails i'll try the dehumidifier though i only drive 1 minute to and from the lift every morning so i don't know how i'll power it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have that problem with my soft top in the UK that leaks just a little. On cold sunny days, leave in the direct sun with one window open about 5 mm on the sunny side. It is strange, but if you open the window wide, it does not appear to dry in the same way, I guess because it does not get so warm inside.

It works a treat.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do you cover the 'screen. Thats often enough to stop condensation forming on the inside.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dulcamara wrote:
Excellent, no air con in the car, but may try the bag thingy just on the dash board might keep the windscreen dry that fails i'll try the dehumidifier though i only drive 1 minute to and from the lift every morning so i don't know how i'll power it.

You could do this new thing called WALKING. It's kinder to the environment, which as a skier you should appreciate, it might make you fitter and then you wouldn't think about driving your car for 1 MINUTE. Less water damage to your car too.

Tosser.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dulcamara wrote:

Kin ell, I thought I was a lazy git
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
parlor,
dulcamara wrote:

You could do this new thing called WALKING. It's kinder to the environment, which as a skier you should appreciate, it might make you fitter and then you wouldn't think about driving your car for 1 MINUTE. Less water damage to your car too.

Tosser.

Tosser is quite polite.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ricfrench, Laughing Laughing I just love 'kin ell', filed away for future use, thank you.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dulcamara, Lidl (or Aldi) often have little dehumidifiers. with a spare bag of crystals. They work fine - worth buying a couple to get the extra bags.
snow report
Hurtle, No probs, feel free to borrow it when ever you need it wink
snow report
Tried covering the windscreen, didn't help so much on the inside, maybe i'll look in aldi (hofer as its called here) though i've never seen anything.

To those who have a problem with how I get myself and my kit to work every day, firstly, fine it takes more than a minute on a fast road, secondly mind your own business i didn't ask for abuse from a bunch of judgemental Tossers
latest report
dulcamara,

I'm with you. Too many sanctimonious types preaching rather than offering advice.
ski holidays
dulcamara wrote:
...secondly mind your own business i didn't ask for abuse from a bunch of judgemental Tossers

ORLY? Funny, I scrolled to the top of the page and I think that's exactly what you asked for, in fact:

dulcamara wrote:
Anybody have any great ideas for how to get all the moisture out of my car?

dulcamara, someone needs to take themselves less seriously on the internet!

In other news, in my (somewhat) limited experience with the dry sacs you would end up spending lots of money to try and keep the car "dry". What you want to do is dry the car out the best you can - after the next "long" journey keep the heat on max, windows fully open. Park the car in the sun, windows open, take out everything you can.. floor mats etc. Then invest in two things: a rubber / plastic tray for your boots and a brush to remove all the snow from your skis before sticking them in the car. On warm / sunny days leave the windows open a crack to allow air to circulate, this will stop too much condensation from forming > the vicious circle of keeping your car dry.

Philbo, where would the fun be in that?
ski holidays
Just do what I do and scrape an inch of ice off the windscreen each morning so you have a driving porthole. If the windows aren't frozen, those can be rolled down when joining highways or times you really feel you need a wing mirror, but make sure you take at least one passenger since driving and unfreezing the passenger window is a bigger challenge than you'd expect, even in a Hyundai Accent that's so small that my knee sits on top of the gear stick.

(Interior is soaked through and pretty much every seal is falling off, and I can't be bothered to make everyone who gets in de-snow themselves...)
ski holidays
dulcamara, Deffo come to the wrong place then.
latest report
Here you go - just cut a hole in your roof and install one of these solar powered air vents.
Should address both your power concerns and keep the thread eco-whiners happy.

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/boat-vents-ventilation/mailspeed-marine/solar-vent-24-hour367401.bhtml
latest report
dulcamara, perhaps I'm making too many assumptions, but it seems to me that the inside of the car shouldn't be a problem. I appreciate you don't have AC, but does the car have a fan with heating? If bought in Austria, I would think so, but I don't know... All car fans I've used have had a setting for the windscreen. Just make sure the fan is set to take in fresh air and not re-circulate. With these settings, you should be able to start your car, leave it running while you're scraping off the outside. If it's cold enough to freeze your windscreen, it is in any case better for your car and the environment to let the engine warm up for five minutes before driving.
snow report
SkiingDad wrote:
it is in any case better for your car and the environment to let the engine warm up for five minutes before driving.

Not true anymore, it was the case with old engines using carburettors, but modern fuel injection systems don't need a warm up period. Engine oils also work from cold too. As long as you can see out of the windows drive straight off. All you're doing by letting the car warm up now is wasting fuel and pumping CO2 into the air.
snow report
My old 4wd used to freeze up inside all the time. Mainly because I once had to open the windows going through a river to sink the wheels back on the ground when it started floating off.

It was a bloody nightmare to sort out. It had AC and heating and all that clever stuff.

The only solution I found was to wait for summer and leave it in the sun with the windows open. All winter I kept a credit card and just scraped the inside of the screen off all the time when I was driving.

One of the great things about the global financial crisis was the sudden availability of spare credit cards for scraping the windscreen.
snow conditions
Spyderman, well I'm not going to argue about it. I was just parroting what a friend of mine (driving instructor) told me some five years ago. Apart from CO2, a cold engine will spew out other polluting particles, which are more efficiently burned by a warm engine. Of course, the best economical/ecological solution is to pre-heat the engine with an engine heater. Couple that with one of these and you'll have your windscreen clear as well:
http://wup.defa.com/en/wup_products_interiorheaters.html
snow report
SkiingDad wrote:
Spyderman, well I'm not going to argue about it. I was just parroting what a friend of mine (driving instructor) told me some five years ago. Apart from CO2, a cold engine will spew out other polluting particles, which are more efficiently burned by a warm engine.

The engine is cleaner when it's warm, but it's also going to chuck out the same whether it's sitting stationary or being driven, so it's better not to waste the fuel and actually use it to move somewhere, plus the engine will run for a shorter period, less fuel, less emissions.

In Switzerland they'd probably issue you with a fine for air polution.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 31-01-11 19:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
SkiingDad, while that is as maybe, idling it outside your house is less efficient than hopping in and driving it. Can cause wear to your engine too.

dulcamara, you can get passive dehumidifiers, they have a hydrophilic (right word?) block in them which absorbs the moistures. About the size of a 1L ice cream tub. Stick one or two behind the front seats and see how you get on.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, thanks for setting me straight, guys! Smile

dulcamara, an interior heater, like the one I linked to, will easily defrost your windscreen both inside and outside.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy