Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The future of powder skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Interesting developments at the SIA (esp for a DPS fanboi such as myself) - a ski that is BENT both longitudinally and... laterally... with "cleats" so that you don't die on hard snow.

Pics:

has the world gone mad?
would i be able to take my BASI 1 with these?
how likely is it that i end up buying a pair???
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes.
If they someone take it on those they'd probably still pass Wink
Very.

In terms of rocker shape they remind me of some Surface skis that were kicking about.

Sooo nice

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 28-01-11 19:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno,

YES
NO
YES ISH

But I would still like to try some Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
WOW. I am sooo impressed, DPS rocks!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ask Spyderjon to tune them for you... Laughing

Do want.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So what's the bentness meant to do exactly? And whats the deal with the funny kinked bit?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The "bentness" is to allow the ski to remain 'on the plane' during all parts of the turn. The "kinked bit" are being called cleats, they allow you to stay alive when skiing non-powder - basically the ski is not just rockered but it has a base like the hull of a boat, if you tried to skid / turn / carve / hockey stop on firm snow you would just end up on your side as there is nothing there to offer resistance. The cleats basically put some 'traditional' shape back on the ski.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno wrote:
how likely is it that i end up buying a pair???

Hmm, let me think about that....................
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shocked

^^^ that actually (kinda) makes some sense, but still...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I really don't get the point in this - "cleats to survive groomers" sounds like taking the reverse/reverse sacrifice to a whole new level of misery when conditions change from 3D snow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
they do look pretty specific now but it will be interesting to see how/if the concept develops
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah, I like that it's being tried, but it just seems far too unweildy to ever run in the purest form of the concept - imagine traversing, sidehilling, skinning without breaking trail, hitting a rain line, or even trying to get anywhere inbounds that's seen a groomer gracefully...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DaveC, when i went catskiing near whistler i skied with someone on these

http://www.garywayneskis.com/garywayneskis.com/Home.html

think maker may be linked with the catskiing op. i recogised the extreme reverse/reverse thing going on but didn't notice the convex base. they looked pretty homemade to be honest so the non-flat bases might have been put down to substandard manufacturing! anyway, the guy on them seemed to be having fun in the deep pow on offer cat-skiing but didn't ski back down the cat track to the lodge at the end of the day. probably a wise decision!

in seriousness, i could see myself going for these if i saw a lot of pure powder skiing in my future (eg if i win the lottery and can afford a lot of heli/cat/sled trips). for the type of skiing i actually do these days, they wouldn't be the answer. can't imagine trying to skin on them!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Easy to explain

the first pics look like snow blades with outriggers

Snowblades = good on groomed and not so good on pow

rockers = good pow and poor hardpack

bit of glue and fix it up
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC wrote:
I really don't get the point in this - "cleats to survive groomers" sounds like taking the reverse/reverse sacrifice to a whole new level of misery when conditions change from 3D snow.

Yeah, soooooooooo specific to deep untracked that I can't imagine even the luckiest of powderhounds really getting the conditions to use them very often.
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
in seriousness, i could see myself going for these if i saw a lot of pure powder skiing in my future (eg if i win the lottery and can afford a lot of heli/cat/sled trips)!

if you won the lottery im sure they wouldnt be the only pair of skis you had your sherpa lug about

in fact, I will be you ski caddy for very little pay snowHead
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
DaveC wrote:

Yeah, soooooooooo specific to deep untracked that I can't imagine even the luckiest of powderhounds really getting the conditions to use them very often.

It will be fun to see how it develops. DPS are being very clear that this is a pre-production concept. Imagine being told 25 years ago that 115mm underfoot would be fun and acceptable on pistes...
latest report
An answer looking for a question . . .
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
An answer looking for a question . . .

Why not? It's exciting, change can be ok, ok?
latest report
parlor,
Quote:

Imagine being told 25 years ago that 115mm underfoot would be fun and acceptable on pistes...

When you think about it, 30 years ago it could have gone to fatter skis quite easily, there was a very short love affair with short compact skis which were wider and shorter, if back then any of us or the ski makers had put 2 and 2 together and made the leap to wider skis with a big sidecut, we could have got to fat skis much earlier.
snow conditions
parlor wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
DaveC wrote:

It will be fun to see how it develops. DPS are being very clear that this is a pre-production concept. Imagine being told 25 years ago that 115mm underfoot would be fun and acceptable on pistes...

I wasn't around 25 years ago wink

It's really cool to see ski makers trying new shapes and designs though, can only be a good thing!
ski holidays
think these might be a bit specific too rolling eyes http://whitecristalsb.com/catalogue/product_info.php?id_skis=1
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:
parlor,
Quote:

Imagine being told 25 years ago that 115mm underfoot would be fun and acceptable on pistes...

When you think about it, 30 years ago it could have gone to fatter skis quite easily, there was a very short love affair with short compact skis which were wider and shorter, if back then any of us or the ski makers had put 2 and 2 together and made the leap to wider skis with a big sidecut, we could have got to fat skis much earlier.

Kind of my point, it's not a huge leap to have got to here... After McConkey (and he probably wasn't actually the first) skied on some water skis and the Spatula > Reverse / Reverse > Pontoon shapes were born it was only a matter of time. The original Dynastar Intuitiv had a '3D' hull on the tip and reading TGR it appears that a few snowboard manufacturers have tried it, as well as Gary Wayne.

It almost makes sense that for a dedicated powder ski to be shaped like that, the kicker is the cleats and if they can find a way for that whole thing to work then I think it is fair to say that DPS have done one of the most radical things to progress the sport since releasable bindings. Again, you could take that one step the other way and we might be seeing the new Rax. I for one am excited to find out.
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
DaveC, when i went catskiing near whistler i skied with someone on these

http://www.garywayneskis.com/garywayneskis.com/Home.html

think maker may be linked with the catskiing op. i recogised the extreme reverse/reverse thing going on but didn't notice the convex base. they looked pretty homemade to be honest so the non-flat bases might have been put down to substandard manufacturing! anyway, the guy on them seemed to be having fun in the deep pow on offer cat-skiing but didn't ski back down the cat track to the lodge at the end of the day. probably a wise decision!

in seriousness, i could see myself going for these if i saw a lot of pure powder skiing in my future (eg if i win the lottery and can afford a lot of heli/cat/sled trips). for the type of skiing i actually do these days, they wouldn't be the answer. can't imagine trying to skin on them!

Looks to me that they handle very much like a boat without the centre/dagger board in the slop; loads of sidways movement in the turns both on and OP....
snow report
scooby_simon,
Quote:

handle very much like a boat without the centre/dagger board in the slop

funny you should say that me and a mate tried that in Laser dingy when they they were quite new(1970's) in a force 8 across from St Mawes to Falmouth, needless to say we had to be rescued, we broke it big time, but whilst it was planeing at about 30 knots its was really good fun Laughing but not recommended, half drowning is not an experianace I would not like to do again. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
anyone yet built powder skis with skegs like surfboards (or waterskis for that matter), I mean don't you still want a bit of lateral stability even in really deep stuff ?
snow conditions
I can understand the shape along the length of the ski, but what advantage is the lateral shape trying to offer?
ski holidays
rob@rar, here is a vid (with rather average sound quality) where the maker explains a bit:

http://thesnowtroopers.com/2011/denver-co-dps-spoon-12811/

i think the idea is that you get an even looser feel than you get from rockered and reverse sidecut skis
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its real easy now with fat rockerskis to ski deep powder, if I compare with my old Blizzard I ski offpist with on Grand Montets 1979 wink
latest report
Arno, thanks. So am I right to say, in essence, the convex base means you are less likely to "catch an edge" when skiing in deep snow, so rotating the skis a little bit through the turn becomes possible?
snow conditions
Saw a Burton Snowboard like that today, not sure it was intentional, Burton make nice hats.
ski holidays
rob@rar, i think rocker and reverse sidecut allow easier rotational movements; the convex base seems like it will make it even easier
all this is conjecture though!
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Saw a Burton Snowboard like that today, not sure it was intentional, Burton make nice hats.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Quote:

The original Dynastar Intuitiv had a '3D' hull on the tip and reading TGR it appears that a few snowboard manufacturers have tried it, as well as Gary Wayne.

The big Fischer Watea has it too, and the Scott Crusades.
snow conditions
Phew been looking at all the coverage of the SIA Denver ski show, looks like for 2011/12, skis are all going fatter with rocker, jackets are getting longer and goggles will all be spherical
ski holidays
If someone had shown me those piccies on 1st April I would have been suspicious. Heaven knows how you ski on them they seem to go against the workings of every conventionally shaped ski that I have seen. It looks like the ski former went wrong when they were being made Laughing

Are they just a gimic or will they really be useful on the slope? How and why are they supposed to work?
snow report
Megamum, read higher up where Parlor explains....
snow report
Megamum, normal sidecut and camber and flat bases are all design features aimed at allowing a skis edge to grip in hard snow. when you are in 3D snow, it is more like being in a fluid. think about how boats, waterskis, kayaks, surfboards etc are shaped
snow conditions
I'd hate to see what happens if you try to stone grind them! Shocked
snow report
Arno, might have to kick the Kuros out of bed for those beauties!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy