Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help engaging the little toe edge when making a turn

Poster: A snowHead
I just wanted to throw an idea into the ring to see what people think

When skiing today I spent a lot of time working on engaging the new little toe edge when making turns. I remembered rob@rar's comments in other postings about being aware of the little toe and thinking about engaging this as soon as possible. As it was correctly pointed out, a better flex and extension can help with this ‘engaging’

Followings Rob’s advice of actively thinking about the little toe edge, it certainly works. I also recalled some advice that I received from a very experienced Austrian ski instructor. He said that the flex and extend movement, rather than simply being ‘up and down’ should be more ‘up and forward’. In doing so, expecially for short radius turns, you should try and point your nose at 45 degrees across the new inside edge as you make the turn (aiming to get your nose inside the tip of the inside ski).

This makes a lot of sense when I thought about it (and tried it – it worked well). In effect, what he was saying is that by moving up and forward you are helping get onto the soft shovel of the ski (and not in the back seat – see posting about fore/aft). But also this movement across the skis, moves the centre of mass and helps engage the new little toe edge

I hope the way I have explained it above makes sense (and I've got it the right way around when it comes to the movement across the skis)

Any thoughts? Is this a valid technique? As I said, it certainly worked for me wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yup, that's fine. body heads down the fall line, changing the endges and getting you forward. Good for bending skis especially on tight turns.

Little point, watch out if you show your friends this one. On intermediate skiers it can very easily be turned into pro-rotation, which is naughty.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sleipnir, very interesting. I've been struggling with that, too. Does turning on just the inside ski (engage little toe edge before turn then stay on it throughout) help, or might that tend to just get you into the habit of putting too much weight on that inside ski?

I can engage the left foot inside edge better than the right - I've noticed that even with skating. Maybe one could try those "scissors step" turns (is that the right term?)

The "forward/up" movement onto that new inside ski is one (IIRC) that Fastman stresses in his DVD, looking at counter (ie left the becoming-inside hip, not drop the outside one) and I've found the exercises there very useful too. But I suspect my A frame (ie lack of engaging that edge) is so deeply ingrained it's gonna take forever.

My new ski boot inners are helping with that movement - I now know that any failures are not down to my boots.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The angle that you project across your skis will vary with the turn radius. Shorter radius the more you project across. Try doing some funnel drills to get a feel for subtle variations in this angle.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thinking about/discovering the little toe edge was, for me, the first of many lightbulb moments in lessons with rob@rar and skimottaret.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Project to wherever you think the flow-line is for that shape of turn.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
The angle that you project across your skis will vary with the turn radius. Shorter radius the more you project across. Try doing some funnel drills to get a feel for subtle variations in this angle.

rob@rar are funnel drills essentially a set of turns whereby you start off wide and then get progressively tighter and tighter in your turns?

When skiing today, working on this (and other) things, I got a mate to record some of my runs so I can sit down and analyse what's going on. As evident from the video analysis that Rob and Scott did on the course I attended in Sölden a year or so back, it is always good to take a closer look as to what's going on as sometimes you can fool yourself into thinking you are doing something, whereas it could be something else where the true problem lies. Personally I blame the skis and the snow as to the reason why I don't ski like a Champ wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sleipnir, you can also try an "inverted" funnel and 2 funnels as an "hourglass".
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

In doing so, expecially for short radius turns, you should try and point your nose at 45 degrees across the new inside edge as you make the turn (aiming to get your nose inside the tip of the inside ski)

Been thinking about this and am a bit puzzled. Can you clarify when, in the turn (in relation to the apex) the "45 degrees inside" the new inside ski should be happening? I was perhaps puzzled because I'd been envisaging it after/during the apex - which would be very strongly rotated. Do the ski pass under the nose at the apex of the turn, with the 45 degrees having been before (at transition?)

(Excuse my confusion - I am having to do virtual skiing 'cos am in Hampshire for a few days).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, at transition.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, thanks. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks for your thoughts folks and for the clarification of what I was getting at rob@rar......I knew what I meant, just didn't know how to put it into the right words wink rolling eyes

And also many thanks for the ideas for new drills. I'm a bit of a glutten for punishment when it comes to drills. I try to mix up my turns, but after a few runs of combining small, medium and large, I sometimes think "so, what now?" With the funnel and the hourglass shapes I'm sure this will help me as I'm one of those people that need something to focus on rather than thinking 'on the fly'

I've been working on these things after fitting Booster straps to my boots and I really think there's a benefit. On the occasions (I hasten very few!) when I really get it right, there is a real boost from bending the ski and the 'bounce' provided by the strap....thought I was going to high-side at one point, but it's a great feeling. Sadly I couldn't make it happen every time, so something I've gotta work on more. Oh hum......they never said it was going to be easy Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One tip I picked up on the Warren Smith course in Niseko last Feb which helped getting the new "little toe" edge set, was to focus on opening the (old) downhill knee early in the transition (ie going a bit bandy-legged at this point as you change the ski from big- to little-toe edge). The other ski will follow this no problem, and it sort of helps getting away from an A-frame too as you're effectively going to the other extreme, going bandy legged first before the shins return to parallel.

If you ever get into Telemarking you'll find that the big-toe/little-toe drills are big on importance here, and translate very well to Alpine technique. Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geoffers wrote:
One tip I picked up on the Warren Smith course in Niseko last Feb which helped getting the new "little toe" edge set, was to focus on opening the (old) downhill knee early in the transition (ie going a bit bandy-legged at this point as you change the ski from big- to little-toe edge). The other ski will follow this no problem, and it sort of helps getting away from an A-frame too as you're effectively going to the other extreme, going bandy legged first before the shins return to parallel.

If you ever get into Telemarking you'll find that the big-toe/little-toe drills are big on importance here, and translate very well to Alpine technique. Cool

If I am understanding you correctly geoffers it's a variation of this other Warren Smith drill, but exaggerated when it comes to opening the (old) downhill knee.

I like drills like this where you use an 'aid' to help get the feeling of something happening. Brings me onto one of my fave drills - see 01:50 in from start of the film

http://youtube.com/v/NpleOZtz8aY

Do this drill on a wide smooth piste and boy you really get to feel it. Nicely made tutorial also - wish I could ski like Christian Mayer.......he's a cracking skier!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
If I am understanding you correctly geoffers it's a variation of this other Warren Smith drill, but exaggerated when it comes to opening the (old) downhill knee
I was thinking just a little earlier in the turn, at the point you change edges focusing on opening the old-dh. knee gets the edge change from big- to little-toe side and everything else follows on from there.

Fantastic CM carving video - wish I could do that too... wink
snow conditions
geoffers wrote:
Quote:
If I am understanding you correctly geoffers it's a variation of this other Warren Smith drill, but exaggerated when it comes to opening the (old) downhill knee
I was thinking just a little earlier in the turn, at the point you change edges focusing on opening the old-dh. knee gets the edge change from big- to little-toe side and everything else follows on from there.

Got it geoffers it's at this transition point that rob@rar talked about previously

If you look on YouTube there a whole host of the videos from the same series. CM is a really good skier and when you compare him with Urska Hrovat (there's a few clips when they both ski) he's a lot better and a very clean skier - very precise, quiet upper body
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy