Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mission RS 8 Boots - good enough?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm a fairly advanced skiier (I think? 800 hours?) . But currently I don't get to do much skiing - maybe 20 hours/year, mostly on-piste. I was not keen to spend a lot on boots that I didn't use much, so I comprimised when I saw a good deal on the Mission RS 8 (£169 UK).

I also tried on the Atomic Hawx 100. Really nice with good stiffness. Obviously superior but it didn't feel right spending the extra £120.

Will I struggle on the RS8? I'm getting on a bit (35) and like the idea of a comfortable boot but wonder if too much flex is dangerous when skiing agressively (they are flex 90).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buy a quality boot, not a boot marketed at your perceived ability. Spend on good boots, the rest will come and go.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hawx great boots, but only if they fit you properly. Don't go by the price, buy the boot a decent fitter says is right for your foot!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
35? Getting on a bit???????? Last week I was skiing with someone getting ready for his 10th Inferno race. He is 75.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I'm getting on a bit (35)

Cheeky whippersnapper. I hope you burn out your hair straighteners.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I know you're right. When you only buy ski boots once every 5 years it's hard to remember what's important. And it's not easy to put your faith in faceless chain-store boot fitters.

The missions are super-comfy; I've got them on now! But so were the Hawx. I guess I'm trying to work out if I'll have a better time skiing on the stiffer Hawx.

achilles wrote:
35? Getting on a bit????????

35 is the age where you start to worry about flex ratings and fast-track check-in.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got a pair of RS8's, if find them to be fairly flexible and i'm only at an intermediate level. But then they are really comfy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I started out on the RS8's and recently moved up to the Impact 8's. Still reasonably comfy but they feel much more precise than the RS8's (even for a 47 year old!). If you are "fairly advanced" I think you'll get more out of something like the Impact 8's. Cheaper than the Hawx too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks very much for your responses; they forced me to re-assess my priorities. The RS8's went bank to decathalon (I know...great price though). I then went to EB for a fitting and ended up with:

Salomon Impact 10 CS

Great stiffness with customisable flex (120/100).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I hope to take the plunge this year if I take another ski holiday. Otherwise I will wait for next seasons offerings. As a matter of interest howmuch did you pay in total?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
£299. didn't feel like I needed to get the £70 footbeds. See how I get on first and maybe get some later if necessary.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AntonAusTirol, Thank you. Not a bad price really.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy