Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

correct ski length for me & Atomic Metron 5’s

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have searched on ski lengths and had lengths of 160 to 167 and even 175 calculated, which confuses me.
I am 14s 12lbs (@94 kg / 205 lbs), 175 cm high (5ft 9").

I regularly ski in the 3 valleys (boring I know but I like it + chalet & other guests) have about 7 weeks experience so consider myself an intermediate piste skier & ski mainly reds, say 75%, blues 24% and the odd black.
I would like to try to do a little off piste with my son in the future, as his skiing progresses but I wouldn;t want to make a habit of it & avoid moguls (my knees can;t take it after years of motorcycling on & off road in the wrong clothing. plus I just can't work out how to ski those flipping bumps..).

I currently ski on Bilzzard x-spirit 163 carver skis, 14.5m radius. I enjoy them and find they suit me in good conditions with snow but can get them bouncing in hard packed / icy conditions. but then I have been struggling with boot sizes, which may have hidden issues with the skis and possibly held back some development of my skiing. I am not a really fast skier but enjoy the odd fast runs & cruising, I enjoy carving long & short radii rather than just pointing down hill & going.

but now I have had a pair of Salomon Mission 6 fitted properly I am expecting my skiing to improve and whilst I am currently happy with the Blizzards (they are better than any of the skis I have hired previously) I don't know how old they are ( 4 yrs +) and I would like to progress. I am lucky to ski with a very experienced bunch so like to keep up.

I have been offered a pair of Atomic Metron 5’s that are excellent condition (he gets them done at a local ski shop, where as I repair & wax myself). He has sent me photos and we are going to view them next Sunday.

The skis are orange / white and photos look as if they are 162 cm long, 11m radius, 122 / 76 / 114
They also have 1260m2 index written on them with Beta five technology, active power extension.

All the reviews I have read read really good so the long & short of what I am asking is would the ski & size suit me ??

I may try & take them to Tamworth or Milton Keynes & try them out but I dont want to mess the guy about (he is one of my son's rugby coaches).

Thanks in advance for any replies / advise.

Noisey
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I guess it depends how good a deal it is. If I was you, and they were a good deal, I'd go for it.

In an ideal world, I would probably look for a slightly longer ski if possible. Standard advice seems to be use the longest ski you are comfortable with, and you should be fine up to 170cm given your weight and height.

Beyond 170cm they are going to be a step up from what you are using now, so probably not perfect for right now, but perhaps in the near future you'll want something that long. But you won't need that kind of length really. If it helps, my ability is pretty similar to yours, but I am significantly heavier and taller than you and use a 167. I am just about to move to a 172 when I find a good deal on the skis I want, for next season more than this one.

Stiffness is important at your weight - I am not massively surprised you have had some chattering on the Blizzards, if you get something a bit stiffer they will cope with the forces involved in skiing on hard pistes better. I don't know enough about the Atomics to tell you whether they are any better than the skis you have.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Metrons were designed to ski short. Take a look at this length index, although the Metron 5, which was their beginner model, isn't on there it will give you an idea. Unless they are B5's which are a totally different model.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/sizingchart.html?sizing_id=149
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
noisey, the skis you're describing are the Metron B5's (ie, Beta Five model, not the Metron 5 entry model) which are excellent kit albeit heavy. I've had a couple of pairs & the 162cm length is perfect for your stats. The weight comes mainly from the Neox bindings which are also excellent as they allow fore/aft positioning adjust on the ski. Theyr'e a few years old now so the cost should be low'ish.

Buy 'em, make sure they're tuned to 1,3, set the bindings to the forward position & you'll luv 'em!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderjon - That is great news.
The guy has sent me some photos & on the back it does state "Beta 5 Technology", "Active Power Extension"
Zooming in it confirmes a radius of 11m, 127 / 76 / 114 and they have a note "..1260m2 index " what ever that is.

I don;t mind heavy as I think my current Blizzards are heavy compared to some hire skis I have had.

Can you confirm what you mean by "..tuned to 1,3 .."

Thanks for all the answers guys. Blush

I may take them to Tamworth and try them out but I think I will buy these.

Noisey
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
noisey, 1° base angle 3° edge angle
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy