Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots - where to buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Not everyone lives near Bicester.

For some of us, Leamington Spa is half a day's drive.

Where should we go to get boots fitted by someone who knows their metatarsal from their cuboid (or their natal cleft from their olecranon?)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Closest reputable bootfitter to where you go skiing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
doctor_eeyore wrote:

Depends how much you value your feet really. I'd say it was worth the trip.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
doctor_eeyore wrote:

Where should we go to get boots fitted by someone who knows their metatarsal from their cuboid (or their natal cleft from their olecranon?)

what exactly is in bicester?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pdx wrote:
what exactly is in bicester?

Oxfam's emergency warehouse.

And some ski boots.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pdx, http://solutions4feet.com which is a great place to get boots sorted
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pdx, +1 for Solutions for Feet and it's a 2 hour drive for me to get there.

Also Bicester Outlet Village is worth a visit http://www.bicestervillage.com/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is Tamworth any closer? Got mine from EB at the Snowdome and they know what they are doing and made it plain from the outset if they couldn't find the right boot to fit my feet they wouldn't sell me anything (guess it helps it is pretty much a pure snowsports shop rather than a tiny ski section in a big outdoor store). Eldest daughter got her boots from SkiWarehouse in Tamworth, they did an equally thorough job of fitting.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
doctor_eeyore wrote:
Boots might need work after you have skied in them for a time, so try to factor in how you can have the opportunity to revisit the shop/bootfitter after some time skiing in your new boots. That might be choosing a bootfitter in a resort, or it might be somewhere closer to home.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
doctor_eeyore wrote:

Where should we go to get boots fitted by someone who knows their metatarsal from their cuboid

there in lies the problem, most stores do training for staf, but not many send them out for external training and those courses available tend to not focus on biomechanics as this is a pretty complex subject and takes more than your average 1-2 day course to teach

if you are calling round stores ask what courses the member of staff has been on, masterfit university or similar are the best ones (short of those who have done a college or uni course in podiatry, pedorthics, biomechanics or similar)

then of course there are the people who read the books and learn it that way, all good if they actually read the books, one of the funniest statemnts i heard recently was from a shop selling orthotics (not ski based) whos price varied depending on if you needed, and i quote "metahead domes" what he was trying to say was metatarsal dome or a metatarsal pad, fitting to the orthotic, but was addiment that it was called a metahead dome!!

if you are struggling to get to somewhere in this country, where are you going skiing, we may be able to suggest a fitter in the resort, but despite what some will say the standard of fitting in many resorts leaves a bit to be desired
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Phil_D wrote:

Also Bicester Outlet Village is worth a visit http://www.bicestervillage.com/

what's their range of boots like? i'm doing a full season next year so will want the best i can get. is it worth it though? i never really have any problems with rental boots or anything, unlike my brother who changes his boots three or four times a trip.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Phil_D wrote:

+2 and it's a 2 1/2 hr plus journey from here.

pdx - you're thinking of doing a season in rental boots Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pdx, Certainly worth getting properly fitted boots!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spend a week getting your boots fitted and get some skiing inbetween. Geneva is a 2 hour plane ride and a bit of driving either end. Does that start to make sense? Modern times, modern 'SOLUTIONS' hehehe
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Michelle wrote:
Phil_D wrote:

+2 and it's a 2 1/2 hr plus journey from here.

pdx - you're thinking of doing a season in rental boots Puzzled

i meant for like generic sizing of boots i've never needed anything special, and i am always fine with the first pair they give me, unlike others (my brother) who need to change to find the 'right shape' etc etc

davkt wrote:
pdx, Certainly worth getting properly fitted boots!

i'll have to consider. do you know what the range is like in solutions 2 feet? i have no idea about ski boots, but are these the top of the range boots?
ski holidays
doctor_eeyore wrote:

I took over half a day to drive to Bicester, and then (when CEM very honestly said he didn't have the ideal pair of boots for me) at his suggestion I drove onto Leamington Spa and had my boots fitted by a contact of his.

Bad boots can spoil many holiday - invest in the necessary driving.
snow report
As a child I was always the one at school who had their feet measured by Clarks and had the round toed, buckle strap, black patent leather boring shoes. Growing up my friends were allowed heels. I stayed with Clarks measuring board. More 'boring' shoes.

I now have feet that have no problems whatsoever. Thanks Mum!

So - why the heck would I want to clamp my feet into something that's just okay? No thanks - I'll go to CEM (or others of his ilk) and get them fitted properly and keep my feet as Mum wanted them Little Angel wink
snow report
What are snow and rock like?

I live in devon and snow and rock is the closest for me.
snow report
billy_boy_2010, not unless you have a genuine recommendation for a particular bootfitter there.
ski holidays
Lou wrote:
billy_boy_2010, not unless you have a genuine recommendation for a particular bootfitter there.

Hmmm, I havnt :s

I did go there for a brief fit and it looked pretty good, although I don't have anything to compare it to :s

Is solutions4feet really the only place in the UK :s

No where in bristol or south west?
ski holidays
billy_boy_2010, Roga who I believe lives in/near Bristol goes to Bicester. Really is worth the drive.
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
billy_boy_2010, Roga who I believe lives in/near Bristol goes to Bicester. Really is worth the drive.

I love 2 hours sw of bristol :s
ski holidays
billy_boy_2010, Better pack a few sandwiches and a flask for the journey then. Toofy Grin
snow report
I booked a cheap advance train ticket from Durham, went to Leamington Spa (with pork pie) and then travelled home. Full day out but worth every penny.
snow conditions
Quote:

I love 2 hours sw of bristol

In the open air?

Smokin Joe, Laughing you are more dedicated than most. Bicester is only 2 hours from us - but like achilles, my OH then drove on to Leamington to get the boots recommended by CEM. He had ones that were fine for me, when we went again a year or so later.

My experience "in resort" was not so great - I am sure there are very good people in all resorts but you need a knowledgeable (and objective) local to point you in the right direction. I wouldn't really want to do an "in resort" purchase if just there for a week but if you're going for a season that's different - useful to have somewhere you can go back to. But still need a good local steer in the right direction.
snow conditions
Another excellent boot fitter is James Choularton, Outdoor Traders at Abingdon.
snow report
Michelle wrote:
As a child I was always the one at school who had their feet measured by Clarks and had the round toed, buckle strap, black patent leather boring shoes. Growing up my friends were allowed heels. I stayed with Clarks measuring board. More 'boring' shoes.

I now have feet that have no problems whatsoever. Thanks Mum!

Me too. !! Someone Easiski I think, when she took me to get new boots in Deux-Alpes, said I had 'weird feet' cos they didn't have all the lumps bumps and stuff that women usually have on their feet.
ski holidays
Michelle, and Hells Bells, and I hope I did the same for my children too!

I had two trips to Bicester from Chichester so not just round the corner. First time round CEM had not really believed how small my feet were, but took OH and he had new foot beds made and the Andy treatment on the skis too as well as fitting him out in Bicester Village with a very reasonably priced Helly Hansen jacket. Then went back on my own a few weeks later when miniature boots had arrived and enjoyed another few hours of listening to very knowledgeable people - rob@rar, beinbg one of them. I just nodded and hoped I looked as if I understood. But since then all 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 so far the boots go on, I ski in them, and they come off and no complaints at all.

Having experienced this treatment and service I would go twice as far next time if necessary.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whichever shop you go to just make sure you get served by the boss.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy